Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I had a dream that the lottery went SAC->BRK->NOP->PHX->LAL

And it was a perfect outcome in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Is that ascending or descending order because I have some bad news for you if it's ascending.

Ascending, and what exactly is your bad news? If it's that the Kings, Lakers and Nets don't own those picks then yeah that's the entire point of my post.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ascending. The numbers get higher. 2 is higher than 1, 3 is higher than 2. That's how numbers ascend.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Best case scenario for the 76ers is what? Fultz and Monk? They seem like pretty typical guards you'd want around a guy like Simmons.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I'd take fultz and lakers unprotected next year as best case.

Next year is all bigs, something they definitely don't need.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Porter Jr would fit in fine .

Maybe you are right though. I'm just worried about fitting in 3 lottery rookies in one fall. Two seems like just enough.

Now that I'm think of it Fultz + lakers next year pick is actually probably the best case. Not because of who they can draft, but if Fultz + Simmons + Embiid works out the lakers pick is incredibly tradable next year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I think if the Sixers even get like 1-4 or 2-4 this year they will trade the lower pick for a veteran.

You are right next years unprotected lakers pick a big trade target .

I just think it's easier to trade next years pick than this years because:

a) Simmons is an unknown
b) Embiid's health is an unknown

On top of that if you have a top pick than Ball/Fultz need to work into the scheme too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

The Sixers were able to work in three rookies this year, plus expand roles for second year players like McConnell and Holmes, and work in Justin Anderson at the end. I don't think it will be a problem to work in three rookies next year.

I'd rather get the Lakers pick this year because there are good prospects that fit the team available wherever the picks land. Not like the Lakers *should* suddenly become great again next year, but it could happen, and without the incentive to tank, they will win games they otherwise wouldn't have won.

I think the Sacramento pick potentially lines up better as a trade chip for a vet, in terms of the Sixers likely development as a team.

I mean, one of those rookies played 30 games on a minutes restriction.
Dario was completely poo poo until Embiid went down and he got to expand his role.
And above all, this sixers season was poo poo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How is that possible? :psyduck:

there are conflicting reports on whether or not her forgot or simply chose not to.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I wouldn't hate the Celtics grabbing Ball just because he has a better chance of developing successfully off the ball next to Isaiah Thomas

Creating with the ball is like, Lonzo Ball's best skill though?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You best believe that if the Celtics get steam rolled by the Cavs and ITs defense sucks (it will) you best believe the Celtics are not going to max out a 5'7" point guard who is going to be 30.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I mean, your idea isn't bad! A core of George, Horford, and Fultz could really do some damage. Especially with how bad the East is.

I mean, theoretically by the time Fultz is good enough to actually do poo poo then Horford will be over the hill. But also by that time Lebron will be old too so who knows.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

Ah yes, SAS's no exception single-drop rule.

Yeah Robin Lopez is goofy and fun so he counts as white.

Seriously what the gently caress is this post lmao

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

if you sweat that much why would you even own a white shirt

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There is a 6'8" dude with a 7'6" wingspan, gently caress

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NickRoweFillea posted:

How far is Giles falling? He has a great toolset but his injuries are the kiss of death

It takes one team to believe he can stay healthy. If a team feels that way and are drafting 12 or so and onward then they probably should take him.

I for one think it would be a wasted pick, as there is almost no chance he stays healthy.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cannot remember being this excited for a goddamn draft lottery

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

There is literally a 0% chance that he could go there

Maybe that's the entire reason Fultz went.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm half convinced the Lakers are gonna end up with the #4 pick as karma for firing Jim Black

They literally cannot end up with the #4 pick.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

My Dream Lottery order is Sacramento #1 -> Pelicans #2 -> Pheonix #3. Maximum chaos.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ball to me has a pretty high floor. He handles the ball too well and shoots too well for him to be a complete bust. I just don't buy into his potential ceiling. At the end of the day, a long althreltic guy who can shoot open threes is extremely useful in today's NBA

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If I am the 76ers and I am 100% convinced that Ben Simmons can handle the bulk of creating on the offensive end of the ball, then Lonzo is an interesting idea. He is a long PG who can shoot open shots and can run in transition both with and without the ball. It's likely his ideal sitation.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

What about Monk? Not saying he's the same level of prospect, but a lot of Monk's flaws or issues can be mitigated if you have a 6'10" dude playing point for you

Oh I totally agree with you. If I'm the 76ers I'm basically hoping for some combination of Fultz/Monk/Jackson. I just think Ball would do good next to a wing/big who can handle the ball. Milwalkee would also be a good place for him.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Popping in tto say Wiggins looked fresh to death

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lonzo is gonna be a laker and isiah Thomas is gonna get traded

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nik rocks!

euphronius posted:

I take Monk at #3.

Jackson is actually the right choice imo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Can Jackson shoot nba 3s yo.

IF he cant uh. . .it will be a problem.

Jackson has the tools and frame to be both an effective scorer and defender at the NBA level. He is big and quick. I don't really see a better option for the team at 3. Monk basically will never be an effective defender in the NBA and Fox is a walking bust destined to be drafted by the kings.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

If you think Jackson can shoot threes soon take him at 3 i agree.

But if he can't shoot 3s trade down or do something else. IMHO.

Yeah, I think he will be able to shoot open 3s fine. He's not some elite perimeter threat. Probably like a .350-.360 guy.

e: When did Paul Pierce learn how to use emoji?

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 17, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

That would be good enough combined with the rest of the total package as you mention.

Sounds good if he can hit 36%.

Monk is extremely good at what he does, I just think he is far too limited physically to make it in the NBA as a defender. I was a lot higher on him until I realized his winspan is 6'3". Short with T-rex arms is a dangerous combination.

It just makes sense to me to take the guy who can eventually do a lot of things well.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

gently caress it, stick him on LeBron tonight.

*Lebron scores 50 points and dunks so hard that the lottery undoes itself and the Celtics pick last*

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Timby posted:

I'm just starting to get back into basketball again, so let me see if I have this straight: Lonzo Ball is a good to very good player, but his father is obsessed with making billions of dollars off of him and promoting him as an unholy basketball monster made from the seed of Wilt Chamberlain, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson, and will throw an Archie Manning-esque tantrum if the Lakers don't draft him.

Close enough?

He also is a misogynist and his son is in no way a sure thing to succeed in the NBA.

Also he thinks that he can beat Jordan one on one.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It should be noted that, as far as I am aware, Donic is the clear frontrunner in most peoples eyes.

e: jfc there is a dude who is 19, 7 foot, with a 7'9" wingspan.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm very curious why you don't think that Lonzo Ball won't be able to shoot open jumpers in the NBA. Do you think that his busted rear end shot will just magically stop working or something?

Also Fox is almost guaranteed to bust in my eyes so I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole. He's a tiny dude who can't shoot and weighs 170lbs. There is no way he is going to be able to functionally get to the rim in the nba.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 18, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I thinks it's more an issue of getting the space needed to get that shot off. Of course we're in the Curry era of 3s where 27 ft shots are de rigeur so who knows.

Oh obviously, but in an NBA system centered around getting shooters open he can probably be effective. He's going to have to learn to play off the ball and learn how to drive to the left if he wants to be a star, though.

DeimosRising posted:

Ball dominant point guards don't get a lot of assisted (and therefore not a lot of open) three pointers. He can hit in transition and against a broken D, but that's going to be a very small proportion of shots at the NBA level.

Maybe it's because I don't see him being a long term point guard in the league. His a 6'6" dude with a slow first step who can only drive in one direction. Sure he can run an offense in a pinch but I imagine he is going to spend a lot of his time at the wing in the NBA.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mikeraskol posted:

I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, so someone please set me straight. But if that's what you see his role as, how is he justified as the second pick? The whole reason he's up there is his gifted passing ability. If his other limitations force you to take the ball out of his hands for the most part, doesn't that minimize his one truly exceptional skill? If that's that the case, how is he the second pick?

Oh, I don't really think he is worth the 2nd pick, but I think he is an infinity better prospect than Fox. Ball has a pretty high floor, imo. What the 'right' move for the Lakers is not really clear. I'm inclined to say that it is Jackson, but they odds of them being able to successfully develop Jackson and Ingrahm at the same time are pretty low.

Given the position that the lakers are in, trading down or trading the pick for someone may be a much better use of their time.

e: Or take Ball and hope that he can play SG.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

Also, all the things you've said doesn't go with Ball having a high floor. You described a player with a low floor.

No? I think he had a high floor, low ceiling. As in he I think he is likely to be an actual nba player but the odds of him being a st are catastrophically low. He does too many things well at his size to not stick around the league for a while l.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

I will agree with you if your high floor is "an NBA player."

When like 60% of people bust out of the league extremely quick in these drafts, a floor of "career NBAer" is pretty drat high imo. But that's pulling strings. I'd say that if you're a team like the 76ers or Suns who just straight up need talent then he will look pretty enticing.

But who are we kidding, Magic is bad at his job and is taking him #2.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Lonzo tanking down the draft would be hilarious as long as the cameras keep cutting to LaVar

I don't see how he would get past the Kings.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It could be worse; drake could be on that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

morestuff posted:

Duh, confused my project big men. Meant Skal Labissiere, who's obviously a little more replaceable.

Skal was striaght up better than Chris last year.

• Locked thread