Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't want to wait for our the season to be over. I want to know right now what will it be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It turns out being a breakfast defector is really expensive day to day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

along those lines Carte'Are Gordon has committed to the same school that produced basketball legend Jordair Jett

Can't wait for the Lakers to draft him, and Jordair Jett, as well, draft after next.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I dunno, I think even if Simmons is good out of the gate, putting a rookie with no minutes under his belt in charge of ball handling in the middle of the season is a formula to lose more, not less.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Rodriguez and McConnell are decent ballhandlers. They'll be fine.

This is delusional.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

In the context of this team and having a top 5 draft pick and your pick it isn't.

It's not "my pick." It's the Lakers pick, and I don't make every or most posts about other teams in the context of the Lakers, and I'm certainly not going to Rivals post about the Sixers.

I'm an Arizona alumn, I love TJ, he was one of the engines behind the best teams Arizona had in recent memory, and while I was there at school. If this was some sort of personal thing I would never have a mean thing to say about him . . .but he's barely holding on at this point and Sergio was unwanted by every other team in the league (and the Sixers) for like four years, and even now I find his numbers to be highly questionable and I don't see him as being much more than the third guard that he was when he played on good (or even not so good) basketball teams.

These aren't the guys who stop a team from deciding to give its zero-minute rookie ball handling duties--even if that Rookie is Lebron James Level (see: Lebron Jame's rookie season)--from losing nearly every basketball game that they play. It's a nature of basketball thing.

Brolic has a solid point about other teams trying really hard to lose and that might make it possible for the Sixers to dig out of the bottom three. But come on. TJ McConnell and Sergio Rodriguez. Come on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

I've never gone from wanting to kiss you to wanting to hit you so quickly Rick

Do what your heart says is right.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

I think he should acknowledge friendship and give you a kiss, then a playful slug on the shoulder to show the intercollegiate animosity is still there, but in a fun way.

I like the way you think, Nick.

MourningView posted:

It's one game. His form is hosed up though.

I feel like broken form is usually something most NBA teams can fix if that's the only problem.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

I've posted this before, but it's not like the quality of life of a college star athlete is all that bad. In fact, I am willing to bet for most athletes the college years are more fun than the first couple years in the league. If a guy feels like he wants to extend that experience a bit longer, or he isn't ready for "the real world" (as most 19 year olds aren't) I can't really blame anyone.

The other side is we don't give agents enough credit for what they do. An agent could absolutely have a perspective that might help someone, (maybe it's better to lose a year & a bit of money but the next draft year is more advantageous to that type of player).

I don't blame anyone for staying just like I don't blame anyone for leaving. Obviously the best life financial decision is to go out but college has less tangible benefits and if someone chooses it, cool with me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I like Lauri Markkanen but I worry he won't be good in the NBA until he's like a 34 year old Spur.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm going to make an effort to assemble a schedule and watch every single US prospect in at least one game if possible. Any must-watch games off the tops of people's heads?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Lottery prospect or like, guy who might get drafted?

I'm gonna try the top 30 US prospects. I figure I'll catch a few of the second round guys there.

mikeraskol posted:

Are you asking for games that showcase everything about them, i.e. strengths and weaknesses? Just best games?

I think the Malik Monk 47 point game against North Carolina is a must watch.

I'd prefer a showcase but I'll probably for some guys just settle for watching them play.

Washington Arizona obv

Good call, I should probably sports-morally watch that anyway.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That was easier to put together than I thought.

I think I'm gonna schedule another Rabb game since I only managed to catch a half and apparently he was bad the first half. Not that I really think watching a single basketball game of someone play is enough to be informed on them anyway.

Evaluating post play is almost worthless in these games since a guy is posting up someone who he has a major athletic advantage on which anyone can do, but Rabb seems to at least have the baseline competency of "I can do something with my back to the basket."

The thing that stood out to me about him was rebounding though, he is not a passive rebounder.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't think I caught either Sumner or Patton's best game today. The reffing was just atrocious.

Sumner is a really nice passer, and his ability to drive and either force defenses to pay attention to him, or get to the rim, is nice (including a pretty nice dunk:
https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/675830087497871360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw).

Nothing to speak of as far as his shot, it's not ugly in form but it just wasn't there. I thought his decision making was ok for a young PG, he had 4 turnovers but two of those were very questionable offensive foul calls. Defensively he was inches away from making a great play several times, but just couldn't complete it, and seemed to let himself get switched on to centers constantly (although he did surprisingly well considering the height difference).

Patton was stymied with four fouls and barely played the second half. He did quite a few silly things. But he at least tried on defense (maybe too hard thus the fouls), he also probably won them the game with his ability to tip the ball into the basket. I probably need another look at him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Josh Hart plays really big for 6'5". He has decent form on his shot. He looked good in the break and when he attacked the basket, and had a couple crisp passes but he seemed to absolutely refuse to orchestrate the offense or be involved in any two man basketball which is a problem if he ends up somewhere that wants to play him at point. Strong on the ball defense was interesting to see in a college guard.

Tyler Lyndon has an amazing shot with a high release. He's not just a jump shooter either, he has a lot of nifty moves and a very nice touch around the hoop. drat he has awful footwork with the ball in his hand, though. He dribbles like pre-steroids Ryan Kelly. Doesn't seem to understand the concept of rebounding. The announcers said he plays three positions but he really only looked comfortable defensively guarding the three (which probably would be his position in the NBA if he wasn't such a bad dribbler); there is some potential maybe as a rim protector but he is missing fundamentals such as "raising your hands above your head." The announcers harping on him needing another year in college had a point due to so many awful fundamentals, but that shot might be pretty tempting to NBA teams.

There was an hour of Kansas on my DVR after the Syracuse/UNC game so I got a preview of Josh Jackson and man that guy is so athletic and makes some pretty passes off of drives. He got pulled twice in that hour for mistakes, and while I don't like that style of coaching for young guys they were pretty boneheaded plays.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Someone tell me about Lauri Markkanen

He's a really tall shooter who has been impressive internationally for a while despite being only 19, he's agile and plays defense well even against smaller guards. He looks competent when he attacks the basket, has a way of scoring on drives that look like they're going to be goofy, but I'm not sure that will work in the NBA. Close-in-size or more muscular centers really toss him around, although that's less of a negative in the modern NBA where everyone's going small or stretch.

I'm pretty sure he'd be a top ten prospect most years anyway, but the fact that this is such a PG/wing draft may mean he'll go generally higher than he might most years.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I really like Hartenstein more than Markannen if we're talking nordic euros in the draft. He really does have a dirk esque fadeway jumper and scoop/flip that I don't think NBA players will be able to bother, he's really big, much bigger than MArkannen, and he can handle the ball a bit. He's not as good a shooter as Markannen at this level, but I think he'll have a much easier time getting clean looks in the NBA.

How's TJ Leaf matching up with Markannen? If they are matching up at all.

I'm changing my mind a bit about Miles Bridges. He might be a 6'6 power forward unless he improves his handle and finds a way to move faster with the ball in his hands. His 3p shooting numbers are good but when I watch college teams defend the three point line, the contests are often just pathetic. His .625 ft% makes me worry since he mainly gets to the rim by bashing guys out of the way with his shoulders, and he doesn't get up high once he's there, he's got about Jae Crowder strength and athleticism but without the nimble feet. He really needs to polish his game if he wants to be more than a role player in the NBA.

Markannen at times beat Leaf the way that good offense almost always beats good defense, but I thought Leaf was defensively competitive in the matchup. Another possible issue of concern for Markannen is that when the game was fast-paced he might as well not have been out there, although he was super valuable in the halfcourt, of course.

Defending Markannen ate up a lot of Leaf's attention, but I was impressed with his rim protection when Markannen was off the floor. Of course I've learned that this is something that doesn't always transfer to the NBA but he was really good at altering shots, and his positioning was mostly good and he recovered well often when it wasn't. They didn't really go to him a ton on offense this game, but Arizona is really big. What little they showed looked positive to me.

Ball's speed and skill is great, and man, weaving passes through traffic 40 feet away is fun. Obviously the form of the shot is a problem but it's effective enough that I almost wonder if you have to see him against NBA competition first to see if he can get it off against NBA talent (which is a fair point Mikeraskol raises).

Rick fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 22, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I was a bit confused as to why Johnathan Motley was ranked so low, and I think one thing I have finally accepted is the red flag of age. He had a monster all around game and knocked Texas's bigs off the floor, including Jarret Allen. Is that because he's a 21 year old who has had three years to work on his body? Like he's bigger than most college guys, but he's not NBA big. All things I guess draft watchers have to consider while watching a guy who just was absolutely dominant.

Jarrett Allen…I just didn't see 'it' but I guess in a game where someone is in constant foul trouble is useless so I'll try and find another.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Miles Bridges seemed to just be everywhere, he had a lot of non-box score influence on the game. I loved his slashes to the basket. He is small though. His jumper looked fine in the game I watched (Michigan St v Indiana) but apparently that is not always the case and I think he might have some problems in the NBA if that is the case. But I definitely see the talent and athleticism and maybe the modern NBA could find room for him.

Thomas Bryant has a wide body. I liked his defense and rebounding. He's quick and athletic. I really hated his offense. Ugly out of control drives, mostly bad post plays, and while he only took one jumper it was a bad one. He seemed to have tunnel vision and was not gonna pass once he got the ball on the offensive end no matter what. Maybe the right coaching could help with that though, because I think the size and D will be very tempting for lottery teams.

DeimosRising posted:

Watch him in a bad game and the red flags are much more obvious. He can't shoot or pass, so if he's not the biggest or most athletic guy on the court he's not going to have any offense. He has the length and speed to be a good defender, but his court awareness is poor on both ends so he's going to struggle learning NBA defenses.

I watched his highlights from the Texas game and nothing but the garbage clean up is going to translate. He's not getting calls on those wild drives to the rim (or being allowed to go right over and over when he can't dribble left) and he's not backing guys down in the NBA. WVU and Kansas State chumped him in consecutive games just by being too strong for him to push around, and those aren't exactly huge teams.

I'll try and make a second pass on him, but your assessment seems logical to me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

He's Lou Williams/Jamal Crawford with better athleticism. You don't want him in the top 5, but beyond that he's good value

I haven't seen a full game of him yet but from what I've seen, this is spot on. His game is so Lou Williams that it's uncanny because you know he did not, and no one ever, grew up on the court pretending to be the next Lou Williams.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Bridges had 33 points, 7 boards and was like 5/7 from three last night.

I also missed his Arizona game which was just silly of me but he had good numbers there, too. I think as long as the league doesn't swing big again (it might, some teams have started to finally try rolling out big lineups against small lineups again instead of matching up with them) he'll be fine.

--

Robert Williams has some crazy jumping ability and giant arms. He seems to be offended by the existence of the basketball. This is great when he is swatting it out of the air or slamming it into the hoop. Not so good when trying to pass or dribble it or even really rebound it, where he seems loath to touch the object. Perhaps if someone can teach him to love the orange orb they would have a great player on their hands.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

if I don't get too hammered before the game, I'm gonna try and scout Josh Hart when Villanova plays my school. what should I be on the lookout for as an amateur scout?

What I am interested in is his ability to play the point in the NBA.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
loving lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Gosh darn it, I didn't get any of this weekend's games recorded.

Well luckily all the ESPN ones can be watched online still and Arizona vs Washington is on again Wednesday (which I was planning to watch later today anyway). Probably got a better Jonathan Issac game scheduled anyway than the one this weekend and get a second pass at Dennis Smith.

I need to see more of Issac to really have a conclusion, since the only game I saw him in was the game where FSU was just a total mess and I only had about half the game anyway.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 30, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
So I've seen more of these guys than anyone else but Markkanen, but I wanted to see this game before writing aabout them.

Josh Jackson looks like a classic NBA wing prospect. All the moves you just would expect a highly drafted basketball player to have, if it was like 2003. It may see, like I'm saying this to set up an insult but I'm not. He has a sort of timeless basketball skill that we just haven't seen a lot of the last five years from people that age in that body style. I thought he was kind of dumb in the first game I saw him in, but as I've seen him more I've decided he is just extremely confident in his abilities and thinks that he can do anything which sometimes causes him to take risks that ultimately make him look bad, and he otherwise makes a lot of intelligent plays and puts himself in great positions on the floor. I think if anything playing for a team that has a lot of weapons is causing his game to be under-exhibited, and I'm saying that about a guy who has had some big games. Obviously the shot is going to need work, and I'm not sure he will immediately be able to defend NBA caliber athletes. And maybe the NBA just doesn't need that style of wing player anymore. So for those reasons, I expect Fultz and maybe even Ball going ahead of him. But I dunno, he could definitely wind up being great.

Malik Monk is Lou Williams ver 2.0. 2.0 because he's more athletic than Williams is, which might be able to overcome some of the shortcomings that have relegated Williams to a very good backup basketball player. Of course, they might not, so I wouldn't pick in the top 5, as others have said here.

De'Aaron Fox is so loving fast. Fast players usually end up having some impact at the NBA level, so while he may not have the complete guard package that Ball or Fultz have, this guy probably has a future. There isn't much to his halfcourt game, if teams are packing the paint or his defender is cutting off the drive he doesn't do much. Not much to say about his jumper, doesn't really seem to want to take them unless he has to. His passing is good. Defensively, he gets lots of steals through his speed, and he's fast enough (at least against college athletes) to recover when gambles and misses, but I'm not so sure about his on the ball defense and he's really thin so when he bodies people they usually just brush him off and then get easy basket attacks.

I wrote "Dwight Howard the Second" in my notes about another player as an insult, but Bam Adebayo I mean it as a compliment, as there are shades of what we saw from young Dwight in Orlando. Powerful around the basket, and athletic as heck, with a nose for the ball. He can't help himself and tries to contest every shot which causes him to be defensively exploitable, and I just don't see much as far as offensive moves. Also I'm not sure if he's really 6'10". And obviously while it looks like he has the start of an awesome NBA body, that's no guarantee he'll actually fill out in the pros.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 30, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

Dwight's not really 6'10" either (nor was Hakeem) and everyone bites on every shot when they're young. I haven't watched him but that's not a disqualifier.

Yeah definitely not a disqualifier. He's my first center so far on the board for me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's nitpicky but the weakness of Ball besides what you mentioned is that he's not like, a super athlete.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Dennis Smith can be pretty fun to watch. I have some concerns about how he reacts to double teams or determined perimeter defense, and he shoots the high school heave still from three, but he gets to the basket like crazy and makes smart passes and his team around him better.

I have another NC State game on my watch list and maybe Yurtseven will be good in that one but at this point but right now I just don't really see anything NBA about his game.

Jayson Tatum looks really good. I'm not always sure about his decision making but he has a way of bailing himself out of mistakes via talent. His jumper looks fine, although it doesn't go in. I kind of wonder if he was on another team that spent more time highlighting him if he'd look even better.

Harry Giles is a good basketball player locked into a broken body.

I really wanted to write Luke Kennard off, because I mean, look at him, but he is really surprising. He has deceptive athleticism, like he looks like he's not going to get to the basket but next thing you know he's there. I feel like this is some team's future bench hustle guy.

I think Marques Bolden gets drafted somewhere because of his height and length, and he does seem to be able to score on pure physical ability, but he looked pretty slow at times and he has a "I'm concentrating" look on his face when trying to rebound which is comical and makes it look really unnatural, so I fully expect him to get boxed out in the NBA if he doesn't get fully developed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jota posted:

Pretty crazy that it's likely that #1 pick two years in a row will be a college player from a team that missed the tournament. I watched UCLA-Washington tonight just to see Ball and Fultz. Now I haven't watched Washington a ton, but that team around Fultz is an absolute tire fire. Should lead to some interesting takes about him not being a winner but he's so nice.

I really wanted to see him go against Ball but it wasn't on here )=

He's definitely getting some of this flack but if anything it seems more criticism is going towards the coaching at Washington. Which is interesting because I thought LSU last year had much worse coaching and people just blamed Simmons. Although maybe it's easier to point at the coaching at Washington when they have all these NBA players going through their program but they never do anything.

Of what I've seen, though, he really is the best prospect of the draft. On top of all the highlights I've seen, I'm glad I was able to see the Arizona-Washington game because he frankly had a pretty bad game by his standards there, and yet I still feel comfortable saying he's #1. Even when he's off, and well defended, he finds a way to score and impact the game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jonathan Isaac seems like a guy that's not good that people will talk themselves into and Dennis Smith Jr. seems like he's the opposite

I haven't watched tonight's game yet (although it's on my DVR hopefully) but this was my exact opinion on Isaac the first two times I saw him. There's so much hype for him though I decided to go for a third dip.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yeah, actually I see what the hype on Issac is about after tonight's game. What really does it for me is that quick release, I don't care about the post moves and he's not shooting from NBA three range but man the ball gets out of his hand quick with whatever he does. I"m not really ready to move him top 3 which I swear to you I have seen people do, but, I get a little more what people are talking about.

Dennis Smith . . . well, the positive of tonight was that despite the fact he was mostly shut down, he still was really smart with the ball, got it up the court, and didn't panic and really only took one bad shot against the coverage. But, while I'm not ready to talk myself out of him yet (still haven't seen anything from anyone else that pushes him below third PG which is where I had him when I was just seeing highlights), and I still think he's probably the best real "playmaker" in the draft, I am concerned. He ate Fox and Monk's lunch in single coverage a couple weeks ago, but when Duke responded with the double when he put the ball down around the perimeter, he just wasn't able to do anything. Tonight against a Florida State team that's all length and strength (shout out to Michael Ojo) and made it their mission to take him out of the game, well the stat line about says it.

---

I'm starting to really believe in Jarret Allen. I do feel at times he is trying to "showcase his game," doing things he has no business doing. But man, this guy really can rebound and his shot form is promising, and he just in general looks like a better basketball player every time I see him. I want to see what an NBA team really good at developing players can do with him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You don't really see it a lot with anyone other than Fultz this season because most teams have other weapons and defenses can't count on rim protection and defense to rotate fast enough to stop the second attack. Washington is bad and in my opinion NC State is worse (although scouts seem to peg their bigs as second round prospects . . . I don't see it at all).

Just about every NBA team is going to use some form of double team during a game. Like the plus for Smith is that he'll probably get drafted on to a team with a better offensive weapon (not because Smith is bad just because the other guy will have more experience) and will be very unlikely to be the focus of defenses. He's still going to have guys cutting off his drives though so it's at least worth considering.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Since it looks like the Lakers may end up having a coinflip chance of keeping their pick (although their schedule starts to get pretty easy as this month goes on), I really have had a lot to think about as far as their drafting goes. And I really am starting to think Ball might not be the best fit for them. But man they're going to be under so much pressure to take him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like CBS mock drafts should be saved for posterity, because the dude really tries to do his own thing and everyone makes fun of him (possibly for good reason) but I never remember to go back and see who's more accurate, him or the consensus. My notes in brackets so I can look stupid later if he's right. It's also in February which is when it's probably okay to make a bad mock but I don't have much better to do this exact second but mock his.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-mock-draft-2-0-lakers-get-fsus-isaac-at-no-2-knicks-land-uks-monk/

1. Celtics - Fultz [So far so good]
2. Lakers - Issac [That turned quick]
3. 76ers - Ball
4. Suns - Tatum [Huh?]
5. Magic - Markkanen [The Magic really test their ability to try and force a player against logic to be an SF)
6. Timberwolves - Robert Williams [Well, he's a project but he could be great]
7. Pelicans - Dennis Smith [Well, I guess he remains the third PG drafted . . Pelicans must want to have the league's smallest backcourt]
8. Mavs - Frank ["Andre"] Ntilikina
9. Kings - Josh Jackson [Listen even if Josh Jackson fell to 9 are we really supposing the Kings make a good draft pick???]
10. Knicks - Monk [What if you teamed Melo up with someone who had his prime athleticism, but didn't use it much and also was a lot shorter.]
11. Bucks - Fox [The article calls him a defensive stopper . . . maybe the league will outlaw screens during the offseason]
12. Nuggets - Tyler Lydon [Not a very "Nuggets" pick but otherwise fine I guess]
13. Heat - Justin Patton [Wouldn't have a problem with this if the writer didn't suggest this was to replace Whiteside]
14. Hornets - Alonzo Trier [gently caress you article for making me have to say something negative about Allonzo Trier but him at 14 is kind of a reach]
15. Trail Blazers - Jonothan Motley [wha]
16. Bulls - Josh Hart
17. Pistons - TJ Leaf [Anywhere out of the lottery is fine for me for him]
18. Pacers - Justin Jackson
19. Thunder - Miles Bridge [I feel like this is someone someone would take a chance on a little earlier]
20. Hawks - Caleb Swanigan [I don't know who this is]
21. Raptors - Frank Mason [Also not in the top 50 of prospects but I do like him as a player]
22. Wizards - Isaiah Hartenstein [No se]
23. Raptors - Mikal Bridges [some joke about someone named Bridge being paired with a Mason]
24. Jazz - Ivan Rabb [I definitely don't think someone will let him get this low without rolling the dice on him]
25. Nuggets - Ethan Happ [Might make more sense after Wisconsin's annual "beat better teams than them in the playoffs through crawl ball until they run into a team with an offense, but also, not a very "Nuggets" pick]
26. Nets - Zach Collins [Haven't seen him. It's actually pretty hard to watch Gonzaga basketball even with my cable package]
27. Rockets - Tacko Fall [he spells his name like The Adventure Zone]
28. Spurs - Thomas Bryant [The Spurs for some reason decide to select the Least Spursish player in the draft]
29. Trail Blazers - Donovan Mitchell [His game's been sitting on my DVR for two weeks now]
30. Jazz - Harry Giles [I actually think this drop is plausible].

Rick fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like literally what is the point of Harry Giles. Does anyone think he's going to have a career?

Well, he was supposed to be the next generational talent when he had at least one healthy knee.

It is within the realm of possibility that he regains some athleticism, and he really wouldn't need to get back all that much to be a monster again.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

pubic works project posted:

Who the gently caress is Justin Jackson?

I dunno, he wasn't top 30 USA when I did my list last month but he is this month so I have a game scheduled for him. He's currently at USA rank 26, but he has jumped like 20 spots forward in ranking in one month, so I guess it's probable he could go to 18.

PotatoJudge posted:

A double double machine, 21 so far this year and a pair of 20/20 games. Sophomore for Purdue, but he reclassified in HS so he should have been a freshman this year. Good shooting touch, hits almost 50% of his 3s and 80% of his FTs. Downsides is he is not a great defender and not the best athlete. Also he turns the ball over a ton.

If he were around 10-15 years ago he'd be David West with a better shooting touch. In today's game I don't know where he plays. He's too small to be a 5, too slow to be a 3 or 4.

Interesting. I feel like I have a Purdue game somewhere on my list so I'll keep an eye out.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Fultz is a much much easier choice for the Sixers than like the Lakers or Celtics, who should also pick him without thinking about it too much.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Jaron Blossomgame, I'm not sure how he will do in the pros. Like a SF who primarily scores in the post is probably not gonna do much in the league. Funny enough his shot looked great when I saw it but he's like a 27% three point shooter. He's also currently like five years older than than Brandon Ingram. Still, I kind of feel like maybe with the right team he could find a way to stick around a long time as a role player.

Chimezie Metu, I'm probably not gonna get a whole game of this season with what's left, so I will have to go on observing a few separate halves. He is the type of guy who I think whose stock will go up in team's workouts, because he has a knack for knowing when to cut and he finishes well around the rim and those are the bigs that tend to move up when they also have measurements (or at least they have recently). Also he could maybe be a good rim protector. He has a lot of bad basketball fundamentals though which lead to hilarious things like guys who are like 6'4" constantly boxing him out on the boards and has a very ugly post game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Donovan Mitchell doesn't really look like he'd be a good athlete but he can be pretty explosive. He seems fairly comfortable being a cog in an offense which sounds like a knock but a lot of the guys who will probably go higher stop when they don't have the ball. He's not as natural of a passer as some other guys but he does make some nice reads, and seems to have a good basketball mind. At times he kind of looks like mini Artest, completely locking into guys, and hunting every ball that comes loose, other times he looks completely bored. The height is a determent for sure, as is the shot (he has the high school heave) but I don't think guys are going to enjoy screening him very much, I could see him staying on the floor on a team who wouldn't need him to score. I feel like his role on the next level is backup/replacement guard. My unfounded idea when looking at his body is that because he's like a short stout dude he won't get injured a lot but I am not a doctor so who knows.

I like Devote Graham in the context of that Kansas team. He's not really taking his threes from NBA range but still his shooting is hard to argue with. He's quick and can get to the basket or turn the corner for his shot well. He's short and thin though so he might have a hard time defending anyone under any circumstance. Also he's a jr. I dunno, I could see him shooting the lights out in the combine or the tournament and creeping up to the high second, maybe even the end of the first but he kind of looks like the classic "let's bring him into summer league and kick the tires on him" player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Trier is ranked like 69 but like the way he's playing lately I would spend a spend a second on him if the good PGs were gone.

• Locked thread