Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

c'mon, ball's right in his name

I wonder how many times he's said "Ball don't lie" after being accused of telling a fib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

His first college basketball moment was ending someone's life with a massive alley oop and he plays like a NBA Jam character, so i strongly disagreee

gonna need a link to this

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

The thing is he's really really good at everything else, so even if he has to rework his shot you can still get value out of him. He's super athletic and by far the best passer in the draft.

:spain:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khagan posted:

Didn't think bad FT shot mechanics could be that hard to correct.

It's not always mechanics.

*insert lakers free throw practice numbers here*

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Doltos posted:

That can easily be chalked up to Dwight putting stick'em on his hands.

That's still one of my favorite things in the last few years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NickRoweFillea posted:

Had to tell one of my students that Lonzo Ball wasn't going to be the first overall pick

How did they take the news?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if Justin Jackson is like the MCW of the next draft (guy who has one of the better seasons among drafted rookies but probaly hits his ceiling there).

I feel like this description needs the qualifier that the rookie class is poo poo which doesn't (in theory) describe this class at all

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ascending, and what exactly is your bad news? If it's that the Kings, Lakers and Nets don't own those picks then yeah that's the entire point of my post.

Isn't the Lakers pick protected top three though?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ButtWolf posted:

Yeah, i think in that scenario he's saying its at #5.

Oooh, yeah that makes sense. When I see "ascending" when referring to stuff like draft picks or seeding I always count down while going "up"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

5-4-3-2-1 = Ascending, because the first pick/seed is the highest.

So when he said his list was ascending I thought he had the Lakers with the first pick.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

Ascending. The numbers get higher. 2 is higher than 1, 3 is higher than 2. That's how numbers ascend.

as·cend·ing
əˈsendiNG/Submit
adjective
increasing in size or importance.

unless you think the second pick is worth more than the first I guess :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cool Buff Man posted:

Jesus christ

That's a different use of ascending, actually

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I would not mind Lauri Markkanen on my team

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

He seems like a good fit, but I think people keep projecting him to MN because he looks like a guy from Minnesota.

I'm not entirely sure. Our most glaring need is a starting 4, and he seems to perfectly fit that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I saw something on Yahoo about Hamidou Diallo declaring for the draft and it's apparently sort of a big deal? What's the low down on him?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

That's so loving stupid unless you really, really like Josh Jackson

It's also loving stupid because no team has even close to a 55% chance to be picking first.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

You could have a 55% chance if you held multiple lottery picks and you didn't know how probability works

Well, probability would work additively in this case, but Philly is the only team with more than one pick that can end up #1 for them and it still leaves them with the 4th highest chance to get the top pick.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Implying that becoming Steiner Math is a bad thing should be a probatable offense imo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick posted:

I worry that he needs so much work that the Celtics couldn't find him minutes. Although maybe the Celtics are the team that finally breaks the seal on sending top 10 players down to the D-league for regular minutes.

Didn't Memphis do that with Thabeet

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

As a fan of a team with Tyus Jones I nod approvingly at this post.

#FreeTyus

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EvanTH posted:

Isaac to the Knicks would be very cool

They'd have to either jump the Wolves or hope the Wolves move up for that to happen, I think.

Or go back in time and not win on the last day of the season :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EvanTH posted:

I've seen Isaac projected around 5-8

Losing that final game would've put us in the lottery I loving hate Mo N'Dour forever

Yeah, but I think most mocks are just ranking them and not factoring in team. I don't expect Thibs to pass on Issac if he's there with our pick unless someone falls out of the top three.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I did a lotto sim on ESPN and the Wolves got the second pick but ended up with Fultz anyways because the Lakers took Ball #1 so that's what's going to happen now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lockback posted:

Real Karma would be #1 and Magic taking Ball

I already told you that's what's happening a few posts ago :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How do you feel about the scouting reports that say he doesn't have a quick enough first step to succeed in the P&R at the NBA level meaning he'll struggle to find the same lanes and looks that he did in college?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

Ball is tall and has good vision and hey Kyle Anderson has carved out a niche for himself so why can't Ball

This is not something you want to be saying about a guy you might be taking in the top three

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rick who are your top five and why? I'll take the short version if you don't want to effort post it up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WhyteRyce posted:

Time to post my yearly "Kings have had the shittiest luck in the lottery compared to anyone else"

And to think, some Minnesota fan was trying to say that they've had it worse

The Timberwolves have literally never moved up in the draft

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WhyteRyce posted:

Also you've drafted in the top 3 three times in the last 10 years

That's because the Sonics have been in the playoffs more recently than we have.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

El Gallinero Gros posted:

CBS put up guide to lottery outcomes, lots of fun to be had. Although I scoff at the idea that the Pels need no help with Davis and Cousins in town. Team needs depth bad and having a raw young guy who can do things well and might get better is a definite need. But anyways.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2017-nba-draft-lottery-breaking-down-the-five-most-uproarious-potential-outcomes/

quote:

this is widely considered to be a top-two-player draft.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WhyteRyce posted:

And to think, some Minnesota fan was trying to say that they've had it worse

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aniki posted:

I haven't been able to look into NBA Draft prospects, but who would be the best fits for the Timberwolves? I would assume Lauri Markkanen or Isaac Smith based off of position, since their depth at the 4 isn't great, otherwise a shooter would be good. Also, are there any Kris Dunn type grenades to watch out for? He could still mature into a good player, but Thibodeaux seems to like ultra athletic and long-limbed players who can't shoot and I'm hoping we'll get a pick who can actually contribute this year.

Jonathan Issac

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Which is especially sad because he'd also let them lock down that lucrative Finnish American market demographic in the upper MidWest.

:cheeky:

Wrong Nordic country, it's all Swedish and Norwegian up here :black101:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 17, 2017

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Actually after thinking about it can we just trade our pick for Butler instead please

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

EvanTH posted:

i would also like my team to trade their pick for Jimmy Butler

I called dibs and also our pick is one higher than yours so nyah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Inability to pull-up right and a slow first step.

Questionable ability to actually run an offense

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lonzo tanking down the draft would be hilarious as long as the cameras keep cutting to LaVar

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Kinda neat but I'm curious what, if any, rigor went into those "averages." Maybe just average WS/48 or something.

Reading Hard

quote:

For this exercise, we used win shares, win shares per-48 minutes, value over replacement player, and box-score plus-minus — four single-number advanced metrics — to come up with a statistical profile for the "average player" for each slot over the past 30 years, then scoured the NBA record books to find a player who best matched that stat line.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Have you seen the dorms the Kentucky players live in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Sp I made a mock draft.

Not too serious, some of them are players going to places that I'd like them to go instead of where I think they'll actually go, but it was fun to make.

I think if the Wolves were going to trade a PG, Tyus would be the last one I would expect. The pick is intriguing though.

• Locked thread