Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Josh Jackson is loving old, holy poo poo. I hadn't realized that.

Who knows how Malik Monk will ultimately shake out in the NBA but man he is fun to watch play right now. After watching a bunch of games though I'm sold that he's going to be an incredible scorer in the NBA, I just worry about the 6'3" size.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I realize you're being dramatic on purpose, but in no way will he "be able to score at will" because literally no one can do that in the NBA. I'd probably be way higher on Monk if The buddy experiment was not going so poorly right now.

I'm not seeing how Buddy's outlier shooting senior season has any impact on Monk coming in and lighting it up as a freshman.

Edit: I'm being a little bitchy. I get your point about the undersized 2 guard shooting well in college not translating to the NBA. I think Monk projects to bring a lot more to the table than Hield, he seems more athletic to me and his handle appears to be a lot better. Also, you know, he's matching Buddy's best season as a freshman. I love Monk's transition and slashing game, but he doesn't do it too much right now because of Fox/Briscoe and the fact that he barely misses at range.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 5, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

He'd be really hard to play with jaylen brown. I also don't think you could sell me on taking anyone over Fultz right now, regardless of the team

Jackson can't shoot either, at least he hasn't so far though his form doesn't look bad.

He has a pretty high floor because he's so athletic, a great defender and a pretty good creator. But Fultz is absolutely ridiculous and I think you take him every time since he's basically everything you want in an NBA guard right now.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

EvanTH posted:

So is Lauri Markannen the only big in the lottery right now?

Jonathan Isaac from FSU and Harry Giles from Duke. Though Isaac plays some SF but he's 6'11".

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I'm going to make an effort to assemble a schedule and watch every single US prospect in at least one game if possible. Any must-watch games off the tops of people's heads?

Are you asking for games that showcase everything about them, i.e. strengths and weaknesses? Just best games?

I think the Malik Monk 47 point game against North Carolina is a must watch.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I haven't really seen any debate anywhere for a while now. It's pretty clear to everyone across the board that Fultz is #1, then its unclear on the order that follows with Jackson, Smith, Ball, etc.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm watching this Arizona/UCLA game right now and honestly I just don't see how Ball gets a shot off in the NBA. The release is so awkward, slow and low that he's going to get non-stop blocked by NBA athletes closing out, let alone guys that are actually guarding him. That shot seems like such an incredible risk for a guy you're taking 3-4.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

MourningView posted:

The thing is he's really really good at everything else, so even if he has to rework his shot you can still get value out of him. He's super athletic and by far the best passer in the draft.

I'm not saying you can't get value out of him, I'm saying he seems to be projected too high to me for someone who looks like they may have serious problems shooting at the NBA level, especially given the premium placed on shooting and spacing in the current NBA.

I guess I may be underrating his other tools but that shot is so loving ugly.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ball can absolutely finish. It's just the shooting motion, all the other aspects of his offensive game are pretty great.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

I don't normally like microwave scoring guys like Monk who offer shooting and not much else but considering how good of a shooter he is and how perfectly he'd fit with the current Sixers core I'd love to leave the draft pick with him.

I truly believe that Monk is more than that, he just didn't get a chance to show it much because of Fox/Briscoe. He's extremely athletic and there were a bunch of times where it looked like he could run an offense. I don't see why he can't be a Kyrie type of player.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Rick posted:

Kyrie already demonstrated at least some enjoyment in passing in college, like there's a reason that Monk gets the Lou Williams comp.

I've watched almost every Kentucky game this season and saying he didn't get enjoyment out of passing in college is demonstrably false, especially as it got later in the season.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

It's more of a big deal because he enrolled in Kentucky mid-way through the year from prep school, and I think people thought he was coming back next year as a redshirt freshman. He's entering the draft without having played any college basketball. One thing to note though is that he hasn't hired an agent, so he could still go back to school.

I don't think he's anywhere near a lottery pick right now. He's definitely nowhere near that first set of six guards or so (Fultz, Ball, Monk, Fox, Smith, Ntilikina). He's an extremely athletic slasher, around 6'5" at the shooting guard position. Could be a good defensive player, can't shoot at all though.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 24, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

I'm never been more sure about anything in my life than I am about Ball busting super hard if he's taken by the Lakers (or anyone really, I really really dislike him and have a hard time wrapping my head around him being a top pick). They really should go Josh Jackson but everything I'm hearing says that they are actually looking at Fox.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Yeah but at least you can project Fox getting his jumper off against NBA defenders without about 10 yards of space. And I know you're being facetious, but it does look like he has solid form. You have to believe there's just something a little bit off and it could be fixed.

Regardless, the jumper problem is just one of the many glaring issues with Ball.

Edit: Though I'm probably under-emphasizing his strengths a little bit in my own head, he truly is a gifted passer.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 18, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Lockback posted:

What other glaring problems?

This is just me personally but I worry about his so so athleticism and handle, poor finishing at the rim in traffic and questionable ability to run a half court offense as opposed to just running fast breaks all the time which doesn't happen in the NBA. I don't like that when he went up against NBA athletes he struggled. And this is an extension of the jump shot issue, but he just has the complete inability to go right, to pull up quickly for a jumper or score anything at all mid-range which is less important now but still matters.

That all sounds doom and gloom and obviously he should still be a high pick but I have deep reservations.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 18, 2017

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I'm very curious why you don't think that Lonzo Ball won't be able to shoot open jumpers in the NBA. Do you think that his busted rear end shot will just magically stop working or something?

I think he will be able to shoot wide wide wide open jumpers in the NBA. His busted rear end shot takes forever to wind up and comes from a low angle, so I think that actual NBA athletes closing on him will cause problems unless he is extremely wide open. If he has an hour to spot up for a corner three then yeah, of course his shot will be fine there. But if I'm taking a point guard at 2 in the draft I think I need more than that shooting-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Maybe it's because I don't see him being a long term point guard in the league. His a 6'6" dude with a slow first step who can only drive in one direction. Sure he can run an offense in a pinch but I imagine he is going to spend a lot of his time at the wing in the NBA.

I'm probably thinking about this the wrong way, so someone please set me straight. But if that's what you see his role as, how is he justified as the second pick? The whole reason he's up there is his gifted passing ability. If his other limitations force you to take the ball out of his hands for the most part, doesn't that minimize his one truly exceptional skill? If that's that the case, how is he the second pick?

• Locked thread