Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunsku
May 21, 2006

For a Finn whose teenage sport was basketball, seeing Markkanen hopefully drafted within first ten tonight is pretty big. The country has had a decent basketball boom at the national team level the past few years, and pretty certainly the country's biggest NBA prospect ever will just help things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Ain't Finland up there among the top-most average-heightiest nations in the world (Scandinavia in general lacking ever so slightly behind the Balkans)? Seems like a nation that should do well to take up basketball and I wish y'all the best.

but STOP PLAYING HANDBALL IT'S A SILLY SPORT!

Handball isn't really a thing outside the Swedish speaking coast and other areas. Soccer is the most popular team sport just by players, ice hockey unsurprisingly the one with the only real professional league and the most international success (and the one that probably hoovers most athletic talent because there's career to be made there if you have what it takes). I'd argue the national teams punch above their weight in both volleyball and basketball, and those are well suited to the country in the sense that you can play and train both of them anywhere in the country around the year properly, unlike soccer.

The national team had a long drought with Eurobasket either not playing or playing in the lower division from 97 to 09. Then a couple of good showings in the expanded 24 team Eurobasket in 2011 and 2013, so-so in 2015 despite big hopes, and qualified again this year. Made the FIBA Worlds too the first time in 2014.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Finland is not in Scandinavia and Finns don't like it when you call them Scandinavian hth.

Nordic is acceptable.

I don't know anyone sensible who gives a toss really. I know I don't.

• Locked thread