Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think I might also argue that RG3 was a fine prospect (not worth what Washington gave up for him, arguably not worth the #2 pick anyway) that got caught in a power struggle between his team's coach and owner. Which in turn screwed with his head and broke whatever was good about his passing game.

Insert that picture where every Washington wide receiver is open and Griffin has a clean pocket but ends up holding on to the ball and throwing it away to avoid a sack here.

Meaning that a scouting report that reads the same is still really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Grittybeard posted:

I think I might also argue that RG3 was a fine prospect (not worth what Washington gave up for him, arguably not worth the #2 pick anyway) that got caught in a power struggle between his team's coach and owner. Which in turn screwed with his head and broke whatever was good about his passing game.

Insert that picture where every Washington wide receiver is open and Griffin has a clean pocket but ends up holding on to the ball and throwing it away to avoid a sack here.

Meaning that a scouting report that reads the same is still really impressive.

This is sort of the larger point I'm getting at. Comparing him to Griffin works for me because we compared Griffin to Vick when he came out. Remember, RG3 as a prospect is the top QB in pretty much any modern draft other than the one he was in. They're all QBs with overwhelming amounts of physical talent from both arm and legs, though Jackson as a runner is more of a shifty guy like Vick than a straight burner like Griffin, I will grant even though Jackson's passing is a clone of Griffin's. The larger point is that you simply can't expect all-world talent in a dual-threat QB to dominate at the next level because of the inherent risk in the gameplan. He's a phenomenal prospect, but there's a reason we're seeing QBs play at 230ish these days. Cam doesn't get the benefit of the calls largely because of his running ability, and it's not the first time we've seen that happen to a dual-threat guy in the league just like I doubt it'll be the last we see of it because the bias is towards giving those calls to immobile pocket QBs. There's no reason to think that's suddenly going to change or they're going to go any easier on Jackson which is even scarier considering the hits are taking Cam out of the game, and he's built like a loving tank. It could work out and create the greatest QB of all time if he lands in the right situation, but that's far from guaranteed.

Petrino has sent Ryan Mallet, Brian Brohm, and Tyler Wilson to the NFL notably, and Mallett is by far the best off of those guys.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
How are the running backs looking in this class?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crunkjuice posted:

Tarik Cohen rules but nobody cares about him because he plays for NCA&TSU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kidcoelacanth posted:

Dear America: please stop making receivers named Mike Williams

This one doesn't even play like the other Mike Wiliamses but I guarantee you there will be a comparison at some point during this process by a major talking head.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Crunkjuice posted:

Top tier. No generational guys like Gurley or ADP but a ton of great open field runners and interesting athletes. Dalvin Cook, Christian McCaffrey, Wayne Gallman, Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Leonard Fournette, and D'onta Foreman. Only problem is they're all juniors and might not make the leap. loving Fournette might even go back.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
What incentive does Fournette have for going back to LSU? He already looks like his body is breaking down from the heavy workloads.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah He and Cook are gone

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah He and Cook are gone

I approve of this username change BTW

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Freeman is likely going as well I would think with the way things are going at Oregon.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

FizFashizzle posted:

He's struggling this year because referees are letting defenses tee off on his head because they don't treat him like other quarterbacks

:laffo:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh it's true.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Is this draft class bad/shallow enough that a team would give their first for AJ McCarron?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

No Irish Need Imply posted:

Is this draft class bad/shallow enough that a team would give their first for AJ McCarron?

If only FCS players were eligible for the draft, nobody would still give up a first-round for AJ McCarron

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I'd say what the gently caress are you talking about but then again Charlie Whitehurst was flipped for a second rounder to a pretty smart organization.

QB isn't elite but it's got ok quality. This isn't a draft class with a ridiculous amount of players in one position either like last year's DT bonanza. Then again it's not even bowl season yet.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

PrinceRandom posted:

Requesting write up of OT's please.

Bumping this for PrinceRandom

Really want to know this too

Also, what are considered the strengths and weaknesses of this draft class? Honestly, I am curious how this is evaluated from year to year.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Sataere posted:

Bumping this for PrinceRandom

Really want to know this too

Also, what are considered the strengths and weaknesses of this draft class? Honestly, I am curious how this is evaluated from year to year.

OTs are pretty weak this year. The class right now appears to have one premier talent in Cam Robinson but then a bunch of road graders behind him that aren't necessarily worth a top 25 pick due to their pass blocking skills but should get snapped up for teams needing LGs/RTs. Taylor Moton is an intriguing prospect, pretty much every skill position player from that Western Michigan team's is. Shows lateral quickness and has a good first step burst. Also looks like he bullies his competition, which is a good thing if your competition is considered weaker. Ryan Ramczyk is the dude from Wisconsin that has been owning people all year. Seems like a really good interior guy or RT at the next level. Moves surprisingly quick for a guy his size and can pull or go to the next level. Only problem is he's raw as gently caress and will probably get picked on by more experienced NFL d-linemen while he learns how to pick up advanced blitz's and pass moves. Roderick Johnson is a road grader. Opens huge holes and finishes blocks. Completely immobile with just an ok first step. Will most definitely be a RT at the next level.

There's more but I'll do a better write up as we get closer to the end of bowl season.

Also strengths and weaknesses of draft classes are decided by athleticism comparative to past drills performed in previous years, production during the season, media hype, and the good ol fashioned eye test. Usually most of this stuff is decided closer towards the combine than right now.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Browns rumor

quote:

The team has put significant time and resources into finding its long-term solution to its ongoing quarterback problem in the 2017 draft. With the college season winding down, multiple sources said the team's scouts and brass are very high on Trubisky.

Trubisky has not received as much press as higher-profile quarterbacks, but the junior and first-year starter is one of the better prospects in what is perceived as a shallow QB class, and sources said the Browns have been particularly impressed by him. The franchise, which uses a heavy reliance on analytics, has strong grades on him, and it's not a secret in the scouting community how highly the Browns rate him.

"They love him," a top evaluator from another NFL club said. "Trust me, they love him."

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

That is unfortunate, because this is the biggest need for the Bears, outside of quarterback.

Usually, pretty draft you hear that this year or next year's class is strong. I remember last year hearing that the running back crop was supposed to be one of the strongest classes in years. Am I misremembering this?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The browns also supposedly loved Wentz so don't read too much into it. Before the draft, that is. After they famously said they didn't think he was worth a top 25 pick.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I don't know that the Bengals have a specific gaping need but I feel like we're probably going to be picking just outside of the top 10 (or just inside it potentially) and as such I'm interested to learn about impact players who would operate well in the 4-3, specifically at MLB or DE opposite Carlos Dunlap. Daltos or others, any insight?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trubisky owns and I wish better for him than the Browns.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I guess I gotta watch more tape on Trubisky cus I'm not really loving him at this point

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doltos posted:

I guess I gotta watch more tape on Trubisky cus I'm not really loving him at this point

Well if the Browns are looking at him your gut is probably correct.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mitch Trubinsky is fool's gold

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Mitch Trubinsky is a backup QB name if I ever saw one.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Who is 2018s top QB prospect? Browns will be drafting him too.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Gatts posted:

Who is 2018s top QB prospect? Browns will be drafting him too.

Josh Rosen

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Lamar Jackson will also probably be up there.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Alaois posted:

Mitch Trubinsky is fool's gold

Trubisky seems to have top tier accuracy on seam routes but is kinda spotty on deep verticals. The UNC offense is a lot like Carr's offense at Fresno State a few years ago. Tons of screens and sideline verticals with a sprinkling of seam and slant routes. His balls float and he doesn't seem to have the arm to make those on the fly 60 yard bombs that Stafford or Carr can make which hit their vert routes in stride instead of making the receiver come back for the ball. I don't think he has NFL quality mobility but he moves well in the pocket and when he's flushed out of it. Takes some easy sacks tho. He could definitely have a place in the league considering how fast his release time seems to be.

Oh and after watching a few games I really like this Ryan Switzer guy. He has some really awesome open field moves and has some great burst and agility. I could definitely see a team snapping him up in the top 125

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

korrandark posted:

Lamar Jackson will also probably be up there.

These 2 plus, probably Browning and Darnold are the likely top 4 for next year

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Is there any good deep threat wrs this year potentially

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Cam Robinson has the dreaded "character issues" right? Because the Panthers neeeeeed an LT but I feel like I remember him having some legal trouble

Myles Garrett would still be dope too

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

Metapod posted:

Is there any good deep threat wrs this year potentially

also pass rushers and elite corners and linebackers worth a poo poo and receiving TEs (hello Jake Butt) and maybe a RB? let's not get too crazy

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

zimbomonkey posted:

Cam Robinson has the dreaded "character issues" right? Because the Panthers neeeeeed an LT but I feel like I remember him having some legal trouble

Myles Garrett would still be dope too

No, he's probably fine. Charges were dropped in his arrest, which happened in Louisiana, so it sure wasn't due to a favorable prosecutor.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

How does D'onte Foreman stack up as a prospect?

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

purkey posted:

How does D'onte Foreman stack up as a prospect?

He's huge (plays around 245) and quicker than you'd expect for a guy that big (will probably run in the 4.5s easily but will have great shuttle too I imagine). His vision is fantastic but looks mediocre because of how great Fournette and Cook are at that in this class. I don't think he's a great 3rd down back based on some inconsistent receiving ability, but he's also a hell of a blocker so it'll be scheme dependent. You would love him in a zone scheme, and he's probably even good for a power scheme, but I would worry about him with a lead blocker because he has a nasty habit of outrunning his blockers in a bad way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

No Cortland Sutton in the WR writeup? I've had my eyes on him for the last couple years, he's been wasted at SMU.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the bears are going to draft a loving qb from notre dame aren't they god damnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

So, this year's DB class just took a big hit since Malik Hooker is apparently indicating he's staying in Columbus another year. As a fan, I'm elated, but man he should be heading to the next level to make that money now.

That said, 2018's safety crop is going to be ridiculous between him and Derwin James. Those guys could easily both go top 10

• Locked thread