Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Panthers are in a good spot. You gotta think either Cam Robinson, Fournette, Jamal Adams or one of the top corners all end up available at 8. I know they usually go best player available, but it has to be one of those guys or trade back a few spots. At 8, they will likely have some people wanting to move up for snag Trubisky/Kizner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

DNS posted:

Yeah he really broke the league with those multiple sack-fumbles in the biggest football game in the known universe. That's like saying Vick "basically destroyed the NFL" in 2010. Cam had a single good season (in which he literally only had ONE good game before Week 9) against the weakest slate of defenses in the league and then dutifully resumed his rightful role as the worst QB in a dumpster division.

He had a terrible season because of a lot of things, some of which were his fault (his footwork was poor and he simply got away with less; last year he had a lot of dropped interceptions for example).

However a lot of things weren't Cam's fault. He didn't get enough penalties on late hits, his OL was devastated by injuries and guys had to be shifted out-of-position and the running game was awful. Teams also seemed to figure out the read-option gimmick too.

He is never going to be a top-tier passer, but he has an amazing arm and is one of the top QBs in the league throwing the deep ball. He just needs more consistency up front and from his running game, and he needs someone to work on his footwork.

e: That's why I hope we end up going against the grain and drafting for need instead of best-player-available. If we end up with another DT/LB I will be pissed. There will be a top tier RB, LT, CB or S available. Even one of the top DEs would be better than BPA.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 3, 2017

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Benne posted:

Isn't Jonathan Stewart still pretty good? I know he's getting old and always hurt, but when I look at this Panthers roster RB feels like the 5th or 6th biggest need.

Hard to say. He was good last year, and injured a bit this year. When he came back he was playing behind a line that at some points had zero week 1 starters in their natural position. Our offense is also really complex and involves a lot of motion and read options from Cam. When it isn't working, the RB (Stewart) is the one who suffers most. Last year it really clicked and everyone thought our OC was a genius. This year it didn't, whether it be injuries, teams having a lot more tape on us, Cam regressing, etc.

In a normal offense with a healthy line, Stewart might have another few years in him. He will miss 2-3 games a year though.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

i did not in fact think he was a genius.

Yeah I remember you disliked him but it did work for an entire year, until we ran into the best defense in a long time in the Super Bowl. I'm not sure it wouldn't have worked again this year too, but injuries on the OL, lack of attention to replacing our tackles since Jordan Gross retired, and Cam regressing and not fixing his mechanics...

I wouldn't mind Fournette at 8 but I'm not sure RB is the best value there. Except no one is very high on any of the LTs, so unless a pass rusher or corner falls to us I'm not sure we won't go with Fournette. He fits the offense perfectly, whereas Cook is a better fit for today's NFL offenses, so I think he may go ahead of Fournette. I'm also not sure that we would target a corner at #8. We drafted three corners last year and while we only saw limited game film from them, the coaches got to see them in practice every day. Our staff might be high on those guys, even if they looked a bit shaky on the field.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Fournette is the exact type of back the Panthers covet but RB at #8 is so iffy. But hey, we will get our money's worth. He will get 300+ carries if he is healthy.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
He'd be a good fit on the Panthers but I'm worried about him not having a 46 in vertical to catch Cam's passes

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Panthers need a RB but after a couple of high profile incidents they took a really hard stance on avoiding low character guys in the draft. It obviously isn't perfect. We still drafted Greg Hardy. But they have avoided guys who had issues in college.

(Besides we are taking Fournette :getin: )

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Can someone make a list of players who absolutely won't be available at #8 but would be available at #2?

It's got to be just Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Jonathan Allen and now maybe Solomon Thomas. Everyone else could fall, and the players at #8 will still be great and big positions of need. We could get the top corner or RB on our board at #8. Not sure why Carolina would move so far up.

So then it has to be for one of those four guys, and I cannot fathom us giving up so many picks for a safety.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

warcrimes posted:

Not sure why this is a crazytime evaluation, McCafferey is going to be a really good pro

I think it's a usage thing. Fournette projects to be an every down back who can give you 300+ carries a year. McCaffrey projects to be a 150-200 carry back who can also catch a ton of passes out of the backfield or line up in the slot. Teams will value that, but common sense says teams won't draft a RB in the top 10 if they think he can't be an every down back.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Also for Carolina I am pretty much Fournette or bust with the RBs. I don't want McCaffrey at 8 because he isn't worth the 8th pick and because his skill set will be wasted in our offense. Cam needs a power back to take the pressure off of him running in short yardage situations, and our offense doesn't utilize the RB as a receiving option as much. I think McCaffrey has a chance to be great, but it'll have to be on the right team. Like, the guy could be a Hall of Famer in that Patriots offense.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
McCaffery can't be both a workout warrior AND a statistical monster can he? I mean I can see how in the right system, but those two titles kind of jive with each other.

I just don't want him because I don't think Cam would be able to hit him in the flats since he isn't 6'5.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Jamal Adams supposedly ran a 4.33, down from his 4.56 at the combine. Maybe he had the same trainer as Fournette.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The Panthers have said their top priority is to protect Cam from getting hit as much this season. That means two things: improving pass protection and getting him help in the run game. No way we take a RB who projects to be a 10-12 carry guy who will come off the field in short yardage situations. Fournette could take 75% of those short yardage runs from Cam and we would still be effective.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

howard or adams

Run a two tight end set and find some running back to follow up jonathan stewart, or set up your secondary for the next five years

bing bong so simple

No way Adams falls to 8 after running a sub 4.4. He might not fall past 3. Fournette might not fall past 5-6 since he also had a good Pro Day.

I think realistically it's Fournette if he is there, or one of the corners or DEs.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If Panthers draft McCaffrey I will accept it, but gently caress if I am not concerned about whether we are the literal worst possible fit for him offensively. I think JStew is done and that makes the McCaffrey pick hard to believe. If we took him, we would need a guy who could give us 150 carries and 600 yards. JStew has maybe one of those seasons left in him.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Panthers tier is probably

Tier 1: thomas, fournette, Adams

Tier 2: mccaffery, Howard

Apparently Henry was the pick last year until Vernon slipped.

I think they would be happy if Hooker fell to them. After moving Coleman into the box they lacked a playmaker in coverage. Hooker would be a good fit and fill a huge need.

Same with Lattimore or one of the other highly touted corners. I know we are high on Bradberry and but Worley/Munnerlyn is serviceable at best and a 1-2 year stopgap.

Right now we are hoping that Trubisky goes in the top 7 and someone falls in love with the corners though, because there is a real possibility that our top 5-6 guys could all be gone before we pick unless some guys slide ahead of them.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 16, 2017

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Thank god, I thought you were going to bring up the Big 10 silly stuff or the ACC goofy things.

A lot of NFL teams are running stuff that some consider gimmicks. Pick plays and rub routes that teams run now can at least be traced back to the Air Raid when the base play was Mesh. Most of the innovation that we're seeing in the NFL now is due to coaches having the freedom to try stuff out in college before it transitioning up to the NFL.

Panthers ran a zone read gimmick offense two years ago that led the NFL in scoring and I think red zone efficiency. The next year it was less effective. Not sure if it was the injuries and Stewart/Tolbert hitting that age wall for backs, but the feeling I got was gimmicks work to a point where teams have film on you, and then they adjust. The panthers were also running a very complex offense and after the injuries, they had a hard time plugging less experienced guys into that system. Either way, I think it had a 2 year lifespan tops before teams figured it out fully and started punishing us for running it (especially since it gave teams a free pass to hit Cam every time he ran the zone read).

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Sataere posted:

It's especially easy if you are trying to tank his stock so you can spend a late round pick on him for value.

If I were a scout, I would publicly hate on anyone everyone hated if I liked him.

Do the Panthers need a linebacker? Is he a viable draft option for them? Is he a SPARQ monster?

Panthers need a LB but it's not pressing. Thomas Davis's replacement is already on the roster, and I can't see us spending another first-rounder on a LB when we have Kuechley, Davis and Shaq Thompson as first-rounders.

But Davis is getting up in age and Kuechley just had another major concussion.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Silly Burrito posted:

Who would be the best replacement for the Saints Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles RB role? Is Christian McCaffrey really the best guy who fits that mold in this draft?

Saints or Patriots are probably the best landing spots for McCaffrey. He does kind of project to be a Reggie Bush type player in the NFL I guess? Obviously they'd hope he would be more productive as a rusher, but from a role standpoint I'd say Reggie Bush Saints days is the type of player he would be.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Diva Cupcake posted:

He's literally the same size as Trubisky and Mahomes.
I don't want a QB this draft, but if it has to happen I want Watson.

Neither of those guys project to be scrambling QBs in the NFL. Watson will take more hits than both of them combined. The NFL has also proven that when it comes to running QBs, they aren't willing to extend the same degree of protection that pocket passers get.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

sean10mm posted:

So the Browns allegedly want to move up from #12 to take a QB. Let's look at who is ahead of them:

2. San Francisco 49ers - No QB
3. Chicago Bears - No QB
4. Jacksonville Jaguars - Bort sucks, so no QB either
5. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams) - Have a QB!
6. New York Jets - No QB
7. Los Angeles Chargers - Have an old as heck QB
8. Carolina Panthers - Have a QB!
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Have a QB!
10. Buffalo Bills - Have a QB, but one that ownership seems to hate for some irrational reason
11. New Orleans Saints - Have an old as heck QB

If, hypothetically, Trubisky is remotely worth taking before #12, then almost every team between #1 and #12 is a plausible threat to take him except the TItans, Panthers and Bengals.

That would suggest you should just take him #1 overall so you actually get him, instead of trying to get cute so you can get him taken out from under your nose.

On the other hand, if all these QBs are future garbagemen (which is what everyone seems to actually think) then you shouldn't even take one at #12, and instead should load up the rest of the roster and take a project in round 2+.

They would need to trade up to #5 to get Trubisky I think. Even then, there are a lot of teams willing to move back either now or once their guy gets picked.

San Fran might move back if Cleveland takes Garrett. I think they could be sitting on this pick because the value could skyrocket if the Browns take Trubisky first, so they don't want to miss out on that. But if Cleveland makes the obvious move, San Fran could have some deals already lined up to move back. And a lot of that could be driven by the fear that Chicago and Jacksonville could actually draft Trubisky at #3-4, and that Tennessee may be actively shopping the #5 pick.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Sataere posted:

I think Trubisky has a lot going for him too. While I wish he played more games, I'm not willing to say that there is something wrong with him because he didn't start, when it's just as likely the coach is an idiot.

Because Marquise Williams was actually a really good college QB, and that 2015 UNC team was in contention for the college football playoffs until the last week of the regular season.

Coaches are not paid to develop NFL prospects. Williams was the better QB for the team that year. And that is definitely a knock on Trubisky, because he was on the active roster in 2014 and 2015 and didn't win the job.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

Rivera told Thomas he's the Panthers pick if he's there at 8.

Well if we always target fat boys then I'm sure we have said the same thing to Garrett and Allen. But neither of them will be available at 8 either.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'm becoming more fine with OJ Howard after seeing McCaffrey mocks.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

SKULL.GIF posted:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2017/3/29/14869968/nfl-draft-2017-best-names-jake-butt-raekwon-mcmillan

code:
QB	Gunner Kiel		Cincinnati
RB	Shock Linwood		Baylor
WR	Speedy Noil		Texas A&M
WR	Bug Howard		North Carolina
WR	Kermit Whitfield	Florida State
        who'll be the NFL's first Kermit since the '70s. Think of the memes!!!
TE	Jake Butt		Michigan
OT	Max Rich		Harvard
OT	Justin Senior		Mississippi State
        indeed a redshirt senior
OG	Forrest Lamp		Western Kentucky
OG	Damien Mama		USC
C	None have fitting names. Air Force S Weston Steelhammer will just have to bulk up.	
DE	Taco Charlton		Michigan
        who tried not to like tacos (because of his nickname), but succumbed
DE	Gimel President		Illinois
DT	Dee Liner		Arkansas State
        who is a D liner
DT	Chunky Clements		Illinois
LB	Raekwon McMillan	Ohio State
LB	Ironhead Gallon		Georgia Southern
CB	Corn Elder		Miami
        who was offered by the Cornhuskers and later had one of his best games against them
CB	Will Likely		Maryland
        who goes by William these days
S	Money Hunter		Arkansas State
S	Budda Baker		Washington
S	Fish Smithson		Kansas
K	Chris Blewitt		Pitt
P	Alex Boy		Nevada

It's simple but Dee Liner really made me smile. It sounds like one of those pun names you see in a video game.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Blitz7x posted:

Don't listen to LaCanfora

No no let them take him. Let Adams/Hooker fall to us.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If the Panthers didn't take a RB in the first they could have been starting off the second round with:

RB Joe Mixon
RB Davin Cook
OT Cam Robinson
CB Kevin King
CB Quincy Wilson

And if Mixon and Cook were gone, we could have picked a guy with our late 2nd rounder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Robinson is Oher 2.0. Solid run, iffy pass, way too many penalties. Dude flashes dominance but I can't remember that the last o-linemen that impressed without consistency. I'd rather have Lamp or Morton.

I would be okay with Oher 2.0. We need a RT, because we are rolling the dice on Matt Kahlil at LT. If Robinson develops maybe he moves over to LT in the future, but if not I am okay with drafting a solid run-blocking RT to plug into our heavy run offense.

I like Lamp as a better prospect but he is a guard, and Carolina has a very strong interior. Turner is a Pro Bowl RG and Norwell is fantastic too. Also I think Lamp will be gone before Carolina picks again.

• Locked thread