Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Cam Robinson has the dreaded "character issues" right? Because the Panthers neeeeeed an LT but I feel like I remember him having some legal trouble

Myles Garrett would still be dope too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

the bears are going to draft a loving qb from notre dame aren't they god damnit

The wind whispers "clausen"

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Alaois posted:

He's been Michigan's most consistent offensive weapon for the past few years so I'd imagine he'll get a look.

can't wait for the panthers to try to turn him into a wide receiver then

also fuuuuuck there's no way we're gonna get garrett

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Shaq Griffin from ucf? He owns. I'd love to see him get a shot but I think that's fairly unrealistic.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

What's the consensus on Jamal Adams? Watching his alabama game now and he seems crazy aware of everything that's going on at all times. Seems a solid tackler too. My only issue with him is that he seems to take plays off as there are plays where there are 4 guys trying to tackle a runner and he just jogs toward them rather than running in to stop it. Is his effort a recurring question or am I overanalyzing?

If the effort isn't a problem he seems exactly like the type of guy the panthers love to draft early. Smart, high awareness, nose for the football etc etc.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 7, 2017

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Garrett is almost certainly the number 1 right now. He draws favorable comparisons to clowney and most mocks have him at number 1

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I see peppers in the 18-24 range

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

depends on the player for me

If it's adams, yayyy

if it's Cam, yayyyy... but with reservations

If it's fournette, ehhhh...

If it's any LB or DT (Or possibly CB)... Boooooo

Edit: And i'm not sure the assessment that "he falls in love" is fair since he's had only one season since he's been here where he's had a top 20 pick and he used it on the consensus top player at a position of need in the draft (star). I'm sure the offers on the playoff level draft picks were less than stellar.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 12, 2017

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

He's taken luxury picks the last two first rounds.

You say luxury, I say insurance against two players that might leave.

And again, we've never seen him with a top 10 pick that actually has value.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Alright, let's look at last year then. He takes butler 31st overall. Who should he have traded down to take? Where do those picks enter? Would we be waiting to see them this year? What round are they? Are there even any good players available at the picks we get? and most importantly, was anyone even offering to trade up? I don't recall many super hot commodities existing at 31.

Also the logic behind Butler was sound too. We were losing massive leads in the fourth in part because our pass rush fell off a cliff. Makes perfect sense to add a really talented rotational piece at 31 there, that could help keep the starters fresh then potentially slot in as a future starter if short or star left. Also it's worth noting that the team immediately behind us had traded up to grab Paxton Lynch and there weren't any trades for like 8 picks after that, indicating that a lot of teams may have been happy with where they were positioned.

Same with thompson. A versatile jack of all trades that comes in fitting the profile of an aging veteran is a good pick at 25. Now whether it may have been better to draft the top safety in the draft class, who was available, is a different conversation. But I don't think the trades were there in either case. There certainly weren't any coveted players available in either of these situations.

Now let's look at this year by comparison. There will probably be a BUNCH of hot commodities available when our pick rolls around. Barnett, Fournette, possibly Adams, Robinson, a few second tier QBs begging to get overdrafted. I think if you get an opportunity to take a player top 10 you take it UNLESS there's a really good haul involved. I don't see that haul being offered at number 8. I'm talking at least one extra first here.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I liked Henry too and I think that was the pick if Vernon didn't fall (as I recall), but it could still be argued that that would have just been depth. Especially since coming out of college he, like Olsen, didn't run block particularly well. I don't know that they could have had both of them on the field at the same time.

I'm not as crazy on Shaq either but for some reason I remember that being someone Rivera really pushed for. Not sure that size queen gettleman would have gone all in on an undersized LB.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Even remmers was mostly serviceable for a lot of the year. Of course he had a few atrocious games but overall he was better than you'd expect him to be.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Why would anyone even want to trade up in this draft? Garrett is the 1a but has questions about him, Allen is unexciting but looks to be very good, and then a whole lot of 'eh he's ok I guess' where you'd hope to draft those players at #10 instead of #3-5.

Desperation to get "their guy" at qb, stupidity, fear that someone else will trade ahead of you to get the guy you want.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

The wide receiver class from that year really threw me for a loop.

My rankings were Evans-Watkins-Landry-Robinson-Cooks-Beckham-Lee-Benjamin.

In reality it turns out beckham was way better than I thought, Lee was way worse and Watkins was kind of a disappointment. I was at least right about how sneaky awesome Allen Robinson was. And I still have no idea where to put benjamin.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Just as far as I remember a lot of the narrative that year was that Beckham was the beneficiary of Landry's amazing play and the defense having to focus on him. Everyone said his route running was better but that Landry was better in every other way.

Edit: Up until the draft most mocks had him falling to the Panthers and being like the 5th receiver drafted (after evans, watkins, landry and cooks)

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Right now I'm 60% sure the pick is fournette unless a blue goose falls.

The other 40% is either Ryan Ramczyk or Cam Robinson

(Blue goose guys right now are Adams, Garrett and Allen.)

Also wouldn't be shocked if they drafted a CB and moved worley to nickel. Unhappy yes, but not shocked.

For me that player that I'm afraid of is Jabrill Peppers. Reminds me a shitton of Shaq Thompson and I'm afraid that will be too tempting for ol' Riverboat. If we took him at 8 I'd be furious.

zimbomonkey fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 19, 2017

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I haven't watched Ryan Ramczyk play at all but damned if that isn't a football-rear end football name.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

:laffo: The Panthers drafted a LB/S in last years draft. Look up Jeremy Cash.

In tiny hands watch:

https://twitter.com/LedyardNFLDraft/status/823905554787696640

Cash was a UDFA

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah cash was always a solid tackler, as I recall his issue was coverage and speed. Duke usually kept him near the LoS

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I'm so conflicted about fournette. It would be nice to have a generational running back if that's what he turns out to be, BUUUUUT there are so many other needs and he's injured all the time. If we could trade down Ramczyk would be a hell of a pick if available. Also the consensus among press people and apparently the staff is that the corner situation is fine and still improving in Carolina. They won't go with a corner at 8. Better to take an excellent safety if either Hooker or Adams are available if they decide to go the secondary route. I could also see them going with Mike Williams since it looks like Kelvin might be losing his luster.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Why don't we just do the fantasy draft in a google doc and have a thread for discussion? What's the advantage to having the thread other than pictures?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

No doubt but it would definitely be a lower margin for error w/r/t people going out of turn or drafting the same people twice. Also way less effort for the creator

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Jerry trying to court caste football.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

write your own mock drafts. It's just as likely to be right as anyone else's and you get to learn about prospects.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

1-WHO CARES
2-WHO CARES
3-WHO CARES
4-WHO CARES
5-WHO CARES
6-WHO CARES
7-WHO CARES
8-Myles Garrett
9-WHO CARES
10-WHO CARES

See that was fun!

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I think that neither of those things will happen. I could see hooker, fournette or Adams, but Peppers lacks size and McCaffrey lacks... so goddamn much

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

With hooker's injury he very well may. Fournette may as well because everyone that needs an RB early also has other more pressing needs to fill. Adams would be a miracle but that's what they said about Lotulelei too.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I would also be okay with trading back, getting an extra first next year, and taking just about anyone.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Chichevache posted:

McCaffrey also lacks melanin, so helloooooo Carolina.

Fant looked like our second best lineman all year long. :shepicide: I think he might be able to develop into something eventually.

lol the panthers don't draft white guys high

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The last time they did that was... very recently, and to great effect.

That wasn't under the current GM though

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

I'm really confused how the Panthers got such a high pick. It couldn't have been Norman right? Because we voluntarily rescinded his tag I thought that wasn't supposed to count. Who am I forgetting that we lost?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Weird. I swear I remember beat writers saying it wouldn't count because they untagged him.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

tarbrush posted:

Dolphins rescinded the tag on OV (I think) and still got the pick?

Wasn't OV just a transition tag?

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Leonard fournette weighed in at 240 pounds, the heaviest RB in the draft. Welcome to Carolina I suppose.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

edit* gettleman is speaking at 2 if you want confirmation about the biggest SPARQ freaks this year.

Come on, I'm sure he won't be that obvious with hi-

Dave Gettleman, At the Presser posted:

"Big running backs are nice. They tend to run people over better than 180-pound running backs

Well poo poo

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

You know what though? I'm looking forward to watching people get blasted trying to tackle him. If you're going to go for the wrong position you may as well go for the generational talent at the wrong position.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Still if somehow Adams is there and we pass on him I'll flip poo poo

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Sure you can get an RB in free agency. But not a good one. Not a young one. Not one that will change the game for you. Idk if fournette can but you can't deny he looks like a world beater.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Cavauro posted:

actually, most people find that they can run a 4.22 40 with a torn acl. you just can't cut

I believe you'll find that most people cannot in fact run a 4.22 40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Can someone explain Mike Williams's lovely vert? Is that gonna hurt him?

• Locked thread