Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The SituAsian posted:

How much fournette getting totally bottled up twice by Bama hurt his stock?

Given what a nightmare that offense is and how good Bama is on defense I personally don't think a whole lot. Pending the combine/everything else of course.

I guess I'm of the opinion managing to look good in most non-Bama games is really impressive for anyone on LSU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Chad Kelly ... might get himself hurt one day with how he runs the ball.

Good news!

Er, bad news. But yeah, he tore his ACL last week, I'd imagine he won't be able to do much if anything before the draft. So it's all college tape and interviews for him.

e: Yeah what Benne said.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I was pissed the Browns jumped in front of the Chiefs and grabbed future All Pro Brady Quinn.

To a lesser extent I was sort of disappointed they did the same with Johnny Manziel, although that was less thinking Manziel was going to be a good player (although I had more hope than most will admit to these days). More because GODDAMNIT JUST DRAFT A QUARTERBACK IN THE FIRST. Not just since people who weren't born the last time KC did that are able to legally drink, they've had time to become full blown alcoholics start to work on developing liver disease.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Pungry posted:

Is Jake Browning not expected to enter the draft this year, or is he actually a bad quarterback?

He's a true sophomore isn't he? He has to wait a year if so.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Lamar Jackson :vick: 2.0?

Vick's on the record saying Jackson is better than he was in college and there's some reason to believe it (although he did look pretty human today for the first time in a while). But he's another guy that doesn't matter for the NFL draft this year, he's not eligible.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Jackson is Griffin almost to the letter.

I'd say there's a lot more Vick than Griffin to Jackson's game on the ground. Which obviously isn't really the most important thing to consider as an NFL prospect because you're going to want him to run a lot less than he does in college no matter what.

Also agreed that Petrino's offense might be very slightly better prep than Briles for the NFL, but there's been a bunch of buzz about Petrino QBs before and the most successful in the NFL is...Ryan Mallett? Part of that might be because he's a headcase, so then we go on to Brian Brohm I guess? Jackson's easily more talented than either of those guys (outside of Mallet's arm strength), but Bobby doesn't have the best track record there.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think I might also argue that RG3 was a fine prospect (not worth what Washington gave up for him, arguably not worth the #2 pick anyway) that got caught in a power struggle between his team's coach and owner. Which in turn screwed with his head and broke whatever was good about his passing game.

Insert that picture where every Washington wide receiver is open and Griffin has a clean pocket but ends up holding on to the ball and throwing it away to avoid a sack here.

Meaning that a scouting report that reads the same is still really impressive.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Doltos posted:

Take Kiper's rankings with a grain of salt. The man's an actual moron plus we're not even past bowl season yet. This time last year the top QBs were Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook, and Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch was seriously getting talked up in the top 15.

Kiper's hard to read, I believe he does actually care about his job and lives for this poo poo, even if he's memorably wrong in many cases. On the other hand he's never been afraid (and probably has become less so) to willingly put whatever bullshit sources are willing to feed him into his rankings.

Either way like every mock draft/big board in the world they're useless until the combine, then slightly less useless after, then worth paying attention to like the day before the draft.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

It was released within the last hour. It's the one from when he punched a lady at a restaurant in 2014.

Go one minute in: http://www.tulsaworldtv.com/Graphic...tesection=tulsa

Why did it get released now out of curiosity? I remember a lot of people asking for it back before he got reinstated to OU.

And yeah, that's a dude responding to a shove that barely moved him by knocking her the gently caress out.

Metapod posted:

I could have sworn that video was already released

I think it was described in text but with no actual video.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Didn't I already read that the girl called him the N word and that front offices had softened on the incident as a result?

According to Mixon at least, I didn't see it reported from other witnesses that I can remember (I could be very wrong).

But really things just change when there's video out there, I figure there's probably some reassessment going on with his draft stock if they were all ok with the story before. Although if I had to guess not enough to blackball him completely.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

swickles posted:

I don't get why the video changes things.

It shouldn't, but people in general don't really believe/understand things until they see them.

Having said that I still find it hard to believe he wouldn't be drafted by some team, and way harder to believe he wouldn't get signed.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--coulda changed things for sure, although in a perverse way actually pleading guilty might be a better look. e: Oh Mixon took a plea too, for some reason I was thinking he walked away totally on criminal charges.

Oh there's new stuff from the original police report today.

quote:

“And after that, like, I was so shocked, because she hit me so hard. It felt like a dude hit me. And after that, like, my face went boom, my reaction was just right there.”

Sure thing Joe. Although I think you're confused about who's face went boom. Oh yeah and that 'racial slurs' thing people were talking about? Wasn't plural, and didn't come from the girl but from one of her friends.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 20, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PrinceRandom posted:

Also why are people hyping a Tech QB?

Eh, Mahomes is quite a bit different from the old Mike Leach spaghetti armed quarterbacks that built that reputation. If we're on name chat Pat Mahomes sounds like some sort joke a kid would make up, but my biggest non-football related problem with him is he looks like he should be fat but he's just kind of tubby.

There's just something about his face that makes me think he should be a young Lorenzen, but he's only 230 instead of 275.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

corn on the cop posted:

- The pocket presence of Blaine Gabbert

To be fair I'm not sure you can really say that about Hack's college tape, Blaine had protection and things like a pocket now and then.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

i should've phrased that as 'on purpose' with sitting the heir apparent.

Brock still counts, he was drafted in the second to be both insurance for Peyton if he was broken and if not then as Peyton's heir.

Sitting, uh, doesn't appear to have helped him like it did with Rodgers.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Dexo posted:

Who in the top 5 is a massive injury risk and will be a massive bust due to injuries and being bad?

Need to place on bet on who the Bears draft.

Fournette's had (non-serious long term as far as I know) ankle issues all year and is the most talented back since Peterson to come out of college, so I guess him right now? The only reason he wouldn't go top 5 based on talent is the theory that RBs are fungible or if the ankle scares people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

he's also looked like absolute poo poo when playing against guys that'll be in the pros

If your quality check for guys you want to draft is "looked good against Bama" then you end up drafting Johnny Manziel.

e: How do you like Chad Kelly by the way?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mastershakeman posted:

also, Fournette sucked against Florida which is the other legit defense he played against.

They were pretty legit the last couple of years too and he was pretty good. I tend to blame the ankle for pretty much everything that happened this year, if that'll be an ongoing issue there's a problem. If not, he's pretty awesome. But who knows, maybe Raku is right about a rival player being bad.

Again I'm not saying you should draft him, but he's amazing as hell as a prospect.

e: Part of this is my amazement that he did anything when he was like Troy Davis at Iowa State 'they're going to loving hand off to #7' while Les Miles was running that terrible offense.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Hi dudes, it's been a while

the Broncos need a solid goon draft to fix the offense. also a qb but we won't draft one.

I mean you drafted one last year and even though I don't believe in him he deserves more of a look than he's gotten. I guess Denver's hoping for OL and a RB at some point? Maybe a TE.

Sanders and Thomas are still signed for a while correct?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think it's broadly defense-heavy, there are only a couple of guys right now who look like first round OTs and WR isn't much better. There are a bunch of running backs though, it's both good at the top and deep.

Of course it won't work out like that because teams will talk themselves into guys, but still it looks like a good year to need D.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 26, 2016

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

...would you say... secondary D?

Pending the combine, yeah it looks like there are a bunch of top 50 corners this year, Tennessee should be able to get someone (or someones) who are promising.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wonder how far a broken Chad Kelly will fall. I'm convinced someone would have talked themselves into him at some point in the first round if he was healthy.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

I hope theres a good tackle available so the panthers can take a fat slow wr or rb. Maybe a linebacker this time.

There are like 2 decent tackles this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's a good point, I should have pointed out I was just talking about who might worth it for the Panthers in the first.

I'm not sure I agree that it's super deep, but there are plenty of draftable guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

So I guess I'm supposed to ask about Hunter Renfro here?

I have no clue, I'm impressed in a Patriots way though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Saucer Crab posted:

Every single good WVU prospect lately has seemingly blown up some body part after being drafted, except for Karl Joseph who destroyed his in college instead and Geno who just got punched out.

Bruce Irvin's alright. I think he's the only one since like, Pac Man though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CharlestheHammer posted:

He looked really good the whole second half except his deep ball which was bad.

Even that's kinda understandable in this particular game, Bama's pass rush was getting there all day.

Less understandable in other games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Metapod posted:

because york

I'd say because teams covet quarterbacks. Hell the 49ers have it good compared to last year, they don't need to trade their next few drafts away to get at least the #2 quarterback in the class, and maybe the #1 if the Browns go elsewhere.

Note that I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's a less bad idea than we've seen in other cases.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Diva Cupcake posted:

e: Of course...

Quarterback
1. Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M

I think Mayock also had Blaine Gabbert as his #1 QB in 2011.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

With the way Montgomery has been playing so far do you even need a RB? I thought Ty was the guy.

Yeah it doesn't strike me as a need pick, well because it's obviously not. The Pack need healthy people in the secondary. Having said that I think McCaffery is going to be pretty good.

Feel free to quote this back at me if he's somehow Toby Gerhart 2.0 even though they're ridiculously different players.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

I'm watching the Shrine Game for some reason, and boy howdy this is some bad football. There's maybe a handful of draftable guys out of both rosters.

Josh Augusta doing anything? I'd imagine he'll be the biggest guy on either team, but he never quite played up to his size.

e: He's a DT if you're still watching

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Huh, the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl is today too, I forgot all about that thing. How many of these do we need?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just wait until Corn Elder rises up on the boards after the combine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's even harder to draft a tight end than it is a WR

In my experience this is incorrect. The Chiefs are weird.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Bigass Moth posted:

On the other hand, are they just supposed to roll with RG3/Kessler and probably lose 13-14 games or roll the dice on what might be a good starter? Same difference as drafting someone, and the Browns have a ton of cap space so the salary overhead isn't a huge concern.

If the Pats believe he's a good starter they wouldn't let him get away. That or it would cost a lot more than the exorbitant 1st & 4th or whatever they're claiming they want in return as an opening position.

Yeah Brady looks like he can play until he's 50 right now but so did Favre the year before it was over.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

schweens posted:

Speaking of QBs, is Patrick Mahomes any good? I've seen his name pop up in different discussions but I'm also seeing him rated as just a late round project with terrible mechanics.

He's the toolsiest of tools guys, I love him as a developmental pick. He's probably going to rise up way higher than he should go and not get the chance to sit and develop though, he's going to need time. In addition to everything air raid his footwork in particular is just completely awful, and his arm is good enough that he sees no problem throwing off his back foot across his body, which isn't going to fly at the next level and frankly got him into trouble at Tech way too often.

There's a quote I can't find right now from Patrick Mahomes Sr (his dad, who is a character himself) about one of Aaron Rodgers ridiculous throws: "Holy poo poo there's only two guys on the planet that can make that throw, and I'm proud to say my son is one of those motherfuckers." He might be more right than wrong, the problem is Mahomes is willing to try that poo poo constantly with not great mechanics. The good news is most of his stuff is in theory fixable with good coaching and time to learn.

e: Put it this way, I want the Chiefs to draft him, but if they do I want Alex Smith to finish out his contract that ends after 2018.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 1, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

McCaffery is really good

Yeah I like him a lot. I like him a lot less at #8 overall though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Who was the last white running back drafted in the first round?

Touchdown Tommy Vardell (Jesus Christ he went 9th overall?). Also from Stanford oddly enough.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I wondered if there was a big gap before Vardell too but nah, Brad Muster was taken 23rd in 1988.

e: Goddamn, and he was from Stanford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I hope McCaffrey top 10 happens so we never have to hear about top prospects ruining their draft stock by skipping a meaningless bowl game.

Barring some medical thing with his ankle that's probably going to happen anyway with Fournette.

• Locked thread