Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Patriots get JJ Watt and DeAndre Hopkins in Kiperland, so let's go with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I was gonna say that it'd be likely Belichick would trade down if the bpa at that point was a running back but I just googled McCaffrey and nevermind.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Butt Stuff posted:

6'1", 200 lbs.

Chris Hogan (a scrappy white guy) is 6'1" 220 lbs.

Yeah, he's not like Wes Welker's size, but he's not much bigger.

e: I know poo poo all about college football, so maybe we just look at "scrappy differently" or I'm a turd who only cares about college ball at draft time.

Stop, stop, I'm getting the vapors.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Welp, the Mixon video is out and now we get to see what happens to a guy with a Ray Rice tape but is still valuable as a football player.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Metapod posted:

Is there a new one or something?

It was released within the last hour. It's the one from when he punched a lady at a restaurant in 2014.

Go one minute in: http://www.tulsaworldtv.com/Graphic...tesection=tulsa

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Why did it get released now out of curiosity? I remember a lot of people asking for it back before he got reinstated to OU.

And yeah, that's a dude responding to a shove that barely moved him by knocking her the gently caress out.

I think it was described in text but with no actual video.

Court ruled one of them had to be released for whatever reason, his camp decided to release the other so it'd be reported as "voluntarily released".

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Because no one believes a lying slut that deserved it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, from what I gather of it, he fought releasing the video because it would've been a bad enough look to get him kicked out of school, but in doing so it comes out now where he has two years of saying some pretty stupid, callous things and also having the side effect of dropping a ton of heat on the school now.

Also it happened at the peak of the Ray Rice video, so his side probably thought they had no choice but to try anything to bury the video. whoops!

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 20, 2016

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

NFL's draft projection on the guy was round 2 or 3, but the way they build that data is by canvassing some GM's and team scouts, so maybe that's just based off of the Jets?

quote:

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Prototypical size for pocket quarterback. Durable and tough. Willing to hang in and take the hit if he thinks a completion is pending. Took a pounding and never missed a start. Experienced in pro-style attack and played well in Bill O'Brien's scheme as a freshman. Able and willing to work through progressions when protected. Balls comes out of his hand with pro velocity. Can drive hips through his release for extra mustard. Can make all the throws, and has the arm talent to take shots to areas of the field that most quarterbacks can't. Underrated in touch throw department. Can float the ball over top of defenders and deliver it on a pillow. Decent athlete able to climb pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. Recognizes and points out late blitz movement pre-snap. Recognizes danger and able to avoid most baiting attempts. Dropped interception total from 15 in 2014 to just six in 2015. Twice voted team captain and has displayed leadership qualities from time he stepped on campus.
WEAKNESSES Debilitating accuracy issues with atrocious 51.5 percent adjusted completion total (throws beyond line of scrimmage). Turns receivers into goalies. Even simple throws can be coin-flippers in accuracy department. Release point can vary greatly and he is still looking for repeatable footwork, mechanics and release. Will throw a spiral followed by wobbler. Ball patting and wind-up slows release and can obstruct timing. Extra air under deep balls combined with marginal timing allows safeties time to race into the play. Busted internal clock. Allows pressure to overtake him rather than getting catchable throw out a shade early. Sacked 82 times over last two years. Iffy accuracy and ball placement falls off map when defenses send pressure. Completed just 44.2 percent against five rushers and 41.9 percent against six. Pocket feel a work in progress. Will climb pocket into trouble unnecessarily.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2 or 3
SOURCES TELL US "The tape is just terrible over the last two years, but he has traits and leadership. His freshman tape is good, but how do you discount everything you've seen for two years? That freshman tape is going to lead a team to overdraft him." -- NFC executive
NFL COMPARISON Ryan Mallett

Well, Ryan Mallett was a 3rd round draft pick!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Let's compare:

quote:

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Thick, muscular frame. Has proven over last three seasons that he can withstand a pounding. Has enough natural arm strength and hip snap to fit throws into an NFL window. Stands tall and delivers a tight spiral with over-­the­-top delivery. Very little wind­up and gets ball out with the flick of a wrist. When pocket is clean, can deliver accurate strikes around the field. Played with improved vision and care for football this season and eliminated many of the ill-­fated throws that turned into interceptions in 2014. Still a work in progress, but continues to show a level of growth as a passer. Threat with his legs, scoring 37 rushing touchdowns over last three seasons and had 94 rushes of ten yards or more during that time. Can be used as goal-­line rushing option. Willing to extend plays outside of pocket with legs but look to finish the play with his arm. Mentally tough enough to carry a heavy offensive burden for the Bulldogs over last three years. When protected better in 2014, showed an ability to challenge deep and strike with accuracy and touch.
WEAKNESSES Beat up this year thanks to poor protection. When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard. Not as competitive a rusher in 2015. Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll. Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers. Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply. Pocket poise has been compromised. Hyper­ aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw. Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions. Must speed up the pace of his reads. Footwork is a mess. Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift. Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body. Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws. Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense. Needs to improve anticipation.
DRAFT PROJECTION Round 3
NFL COMPARISON Brett Hundley
BOTTOM LINE Hard to find an NFL comp for Prescott because he's built like Donovan McNabb, but lacks McNabb's ability and polish. Prescott has NFL size, mobility and enough arm, but the tape shows a player who must improve his mechanics, poise and quickness through his progressions if he is to become a full­-time starter in the NFL. There are absolutely draftable traits and upside, but he will need extended work to smooth out his flaws. Until then, a team would be wise to utilize him on short-yardage packages.

I was going to do a guess who but NFL made it way too obvious with the comparable / bottom line comparables. Come on now NFL scouts.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Basically just ignore anything you hear about QB prospects:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Welp, bye money:

https://twitter.com/KyleRowland/status/815062516615286784

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Official draft order:

1. Browns
2. 49ers
3. Bears
4. Jaguars
5. Titans (From Rams)
6. Jets
7. Chargers
8. Panthers
9, Bengals
10. Bills
11. Saints
12. Browns (From Eagles)
13. Cardinals
*** Eagles (From Vikings)
*** Colts
16. Ravens
17. Washington
18. Titans
19. Buccaneers
20. Broncos

Eagles/Colts have to coin flip for 14-15 as they have identical records and SoS

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So I guess I'm supposed to ask about Hunter Renfro here?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/819217460498993153

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the Texans best plan was draft a QB somewhere in the middle rounds, 2-4 or so depending on who you see, as the clear backup, and if they outplay Brock in the preseason or after a few games of Brock sucking, put them in.

That last throw was so bad that man... maybe 25th overall is okay.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

all-Rush mixtape posted:

It's astounding how this is the fourth consecutive offseason where everyone says the Texans need a new QB. And they got new QBs each of the past three seasons!

The Texans are the kind of team you point to when looking at like the Bills looking to dump Tyrod and go COME ON MAN.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

How does Peppers compare to Tyrann Matthieu as far as skillset goes? He's the last super talented guy I remember who had that label of being a weird talent with no natural position.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Cool, thanks. I was just trying to come up with the last tweener I remember being talked up as a 1st round talent who I thought might compare.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

They also spent another high draft pick on Brissett last year, which should tell you all you need to know about what they think of Jimmy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oher is still not through concussion protocol so they probably should draft a tackle and then a RB or two somewhere in the middle rounds if they want to fix that part of their team.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/MikeMayock/status/828978735638519808

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

This is kind of a blind squirrel / nut situation, but take a look at the top 2 of this 2 year old PFF article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/10-biggest-draft-steals/

Though the rest of the list kind of makes me think it's probably more luck then fabulous insight.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just saying, I know next to nothing about college football but I watched one video of his highlights and know he's got little beyond skin pigment in common with Danny Woodhead.

Dude's like half a foot taller then Woodhead.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

wandler20 posted:

One for losing JR Sweezy to the Bucs who had back surgery and did not even play one down this season.

Also Bruce Irvin, Brandon Mebane and Russell Okung while signing two of the sorriest linemen on the planet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chase Stuart has a value chart that basically converts all the comp picks for a team into the equivalent draft position value for that pick:

So basically: the Seahawks got the equivalent of a mid 2nd round pick, Miami a late 2nd rounder, etc.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Panthers have expressed interest in husky-sized running back prospect Ehud.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/NateAtkins_/status/837417823416778752

I guess it beats asking if their mothers are prostitutes?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Supposedly the tackle pool for this draft is really barren which is pretty awful news considering the NFL could use like 25 more good tackles in it right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

So the white running back had the fastest three cone drill as well.

Yeah, he's gonna be a Patriot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I'm sure there are better (and more) examples but Dontari Poe worked out pretty well. Before the draft he was known for doing about nothing at Memphis and his highlight that got passed around was him getting blown up by a fullback who weighed half what he did.

Michael Lombardi on the Ringer podcast last week said it's much more consistent now because back some years players were juicing like crazy and (unsaid) now they're all just on things the league doesn't test for.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

shirts and skins posted:

He had a terrible stint as GM but I've been pleasantly surprised by Lombardi on those pods, he's had some really interesting insights.

Yeah, I disagree with him on a ton of things, but he's actually open about what looking into players involves and some meat and potatoes stuff about how franchises run which is super interesting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Wait, TJ Watt is a real thing? We're going to have two initialed Watts in the NFL?

He has freaky athleticism like JJ, and comparables puts him combine performance is similar to... Alshon Jeffery and Khalil Mack.

He has baby arms compared to JJ though.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/tj-watt?position=ATH

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/jj-watt?position=ATH

I think my fav. spidergraph I've seen browsing through this site btw is Vince Wilfork's nearly horizontal plane: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/vince-wilfork

and man, poor Michael Sam: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/michael-sam

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 14, 2017

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Most women are prostitutes in some way, really, when you think about it. If you take a woman out to a nice restaurant, and then the movies, you're spending $100+ on her. She know's what's expected. Sure she doesn't have to do it, but really it's the implication. Nothing's going to happen to her, of course, she's perfectly safe, but it's the implication.

Is this from the GBS incel thread or Dennis from Always Sunny?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ehud posted:

Yeah, I didn't really agree with that. Wake is a rotational guy pass rush guy for the next two years and then he's done. We need a new starting DE.

Fahey provides an interesting view of guys and at least backs up what he says with visual evidence when evaluating players, but the dude is a hot take machine and pretty much ignores foresight.

swickles posted:

While I agree with you, the Dolphins should just go BPA on defense. They LB and secondary need talent too. You can kick the can down the line another year on DL, but they really need LB/DB.

You can always call around and explore trades and even find guys who can be fill in dudes on your roster that other teams cut. But hell, even if you draft a good LB/DB, what are the odds he's that good as a rookie? So basically yeah, BPA outside of very silly examples like quarterbacks and centers when you're set on those.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The way I've viewed it is, the core of SB winning / competing teams are made up of players in like the 3rd-6th years of their careers. Guys with the experience and knowledge of the game, but without the crippling wear and tear. This also corresponds to cheap years on their rookie contracts, or their early big payday years, where they're still (typically) earning that money. (and also probably setup so their cap hits are smaller then they should be)

This is why GM's are typically overrated or underrated, because their reputation only comes to pass 2+ years after they actually drafted those guys, and drafting is enough witchcraft that nobody is consistently good at it, you tend to have good years and bad years, and if you have a good QB and string a few good drafts in a short period, hooray you get to hopefully win a Superbowl.

QB's are also kind of a side thing, because the better your QB, the more you can get away with on the rest of your roster

First round picks are of course the most important players, but if you had 2 first round picks every round from 2010-2014, and hit on every last one of them, you'd still probably have less then 10 first rounders on your roster, because a bunch of those guys left in free agency because you couldn't pay them.

But yeah, talent acquisition is what matters, it's just harder in the later rounds of the draft / UDFA's and free agency.

I'd love to see some work comparing big free agency signings and performance compared to 1st round draft picks. I did some vague work that just looked at pro bowls // AV vs obvious busts and saw the results were fairly similar between the two, but free agents are far more expensive with shorter payoffs (as expected).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Bills desire to move on from Tyrod is even more confusing then Washington's refusal to sign Cousins last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

How good is Myles Garrett in relation to other super hyped pass rushers based entirely on college production and combine stats? I am looking for more than "he good" or even the vaulted "he real good".

Based on combine stats, he's pretty amazing: https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/myles-garrett?position=EDGE

For edge defenders, he's in the 88th percentile of combine guys for 40 yard dash, 98th for vertical, 96th for broad jump and 94th for bench press. For raw athletes, his closest comparable is Justin Houston.

I can't speak to his college production, but PFF loves him: https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-myles-garrett-is-the-nations-best-defender-aggies-texas/

• Locked thread