Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Best/worst projections you've made?

For me, I was all in on the Travis Frederick pick when everyone was killing Dallas for it. :chord:

On the other hand I've talked myself into liking past Patriots WR picks, which lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gronk is having back surgery again, so... any good tight ends? Preferably without a history of terrible back problems?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

:siren: COMBINE STARTS TODAY :siren:

Of course nothing will actually happen for a while

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DNS posted:

Even the name Mitch Trubisky screams "Browns QB bust"

Hackenberg was the Brownsiest draft pick not taken by the Browns, both in terms of potential and having the word "hack" in his name.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

DNS posted:

Jabrill Peppers sucks dude's dick's and I can't believe I have to hear nonstop about this AIDS having Michigan bitch for 2 days in a row. Mayock acted like he was the only guy running today

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This guy has a real problem with homophobia based on his post history, hoooly poo poo.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

I hope the Patriots hurry up and trade Jimmy G so I can read about some late first round defensive tackles and murmur "yeah, yeah" to myself and then they trade down.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gatts posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Brady and Bill go "Nah, this poo poo too easy. Make it harder, trade down and give me more scrubs, I don't get off so easy no more I need the hard poo poo to win a Super Bowl and stuff it in to the NFL."

They just suck at drafting wide receivers for the most part. Though Malcom Mitchell might actually be good?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

NC sports talk radio this morning seemed to be unironically mad about people being racist against white running backs.

:heritage:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cavauro posted:

the best players to draft are the ones who do well after signing With any of the teams and really just playing some good stinking football, or a different sport if thats what they wind up doing. hell i'm just speculating

edit It looks like i actually was thinking of 'free agency' instead of the draft. I dont know what the hell the other one is

edit 2 well i've figured things out and it even applies to the previous situation most likely.

:wtc:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

There's a lot of smoke gathering that if fournette is gone, carolina is gonna draft mcaffery

why

why god why

He's a scrappy, lunch pail, blue collar high motor guy.

:heritage:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FizFashizzle posted:

He benches less than ross and would thrive in a system cam can't run.

That's the serious problem with Carolina taking him, yes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Hackenburg was the most obviously stupid QB pick I can remember. He looked like outright poo poo while playing cupcakes in college.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

There's been hilariously questionable QBs picked in round 1 though so...

Tebow
Ponder
Weeden
Manuel
Manziel?

Yeah, but most of those guys were at least good college players. Their games didn't translate to the pros, absolutely, but Hack was outright lovely IN COLLEGE. Like, E.J. Manuel was MASSIVELY better as a college QB than Hack.

Christian Ponder is probably the closest, his college production was extremely :effort: and he went higher than Hackenberg. But Hackenberg was still substantively worse than Ponder as a college player.

e: Behold, the poo poo that is Hackenberg:

code:
Year	School	        Conf	Class	Pos	G	Cmp	Att	Pct	Yds	Y/A	AY/A	TD	Int
*2015	Penn State	Big Ten	JR	QB	13	192	359	53.5	2525	7.0	7.2	16	6	
College players have artificially inflated stats, lol.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 17, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

spanky69 posted:

Kyle Boller was a first round pick.

He threw 12 more touchdowns his senior year than Hack did. :laugh:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Who's going to be the first team to grotesquely reach for a weak QB prospect out of desperation this year?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Doltos posted:

The games faster than ever. QBs have to have elite reaction times and decision making to sniff what veteran QBs are doing. Luck is still one of if not the best QB prospects to ever come out in the NFL and he's only had two comparable seasons to veteran guys so far.

Defenses are insane now in the NFL. College usually shows athletic man coverage or JAG zone coverage due to the ineptitude of the amateur ranks. NFL defenses have guys intentionally take three steps back then two steps forward to match your timing route because the DC had him in the locker room studying tape for five hours.

Anyway point is you gotta give QBs a ton of time to develop now before you judge them and even after they bust it's pretty understandable since the position continues to be the hardest to play in the NFL.

On top of all that, the college QB game diverged from the pro game to the point where you are basically trying to convert cricket players to baseball with some of these guys.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I mean, this is what the 2011 Broncos did.

The Killing of Timmy, Parts 1 & 2, was delightful. :allears:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

warcrimes posted:

TFF has this strange outlook that players can't improve

The real issue is that nobody can reliably tell what college QB *will* improve. Even accounting for how good Dallas is on offense, Dak overachieved HUGELY and nobody saw it coming even a little bit. If Dallas thought he'd play like that, they would have taken him in the 1st round in fear that somebody else would figure it out, too.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Here's Brugler on Dak and Hack last year.

He gave Hackenberg a 4th round grade; Prescott a 4-5th round grade. Prescott projects as a better version of Tebow capable of spot-starting.

The funny thing is that if you just go by his descriptions, Dak sounds a million times better than Hack. Which he was - Hack outright looked like loving poo poo, while Dak was at least good at the college level even if he had to improve a lot to succeed as a pro.

But then he gave Dak a lower grade for... some reason? :iiam:

e: The Tebow comparison always seemed dumb to me even at the time. "He's like Tebow, except he runs a lot less, and throws quite a bit more, and his throwing mechanics aren't nearly as busted, and he's smaller, and...uh..."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 19, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

Because team and draftnik grades are rarely done on production alone?

Otherwise Colt Brennan would have an A++ grade in my heart.

Hack was just so lovely in such an obvious way it makes my head hurt.

Pros for Hack: white, quarterback-shaped
Cons: LOL how long have you got

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

I'm hoping for a draft thread of nothing but sean10mm talking about Hackenberg and Eagles fans inexplicably writing odes to how great Carson Wentz will be.

Hey, YOU brought Hack back into the conversation this time! :v:

Anyway the alternative isn't good football chat, it's a pop tart derail.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Doltos, who do you see as the most obvious examples of highly rated guys going into this draft who are doomed to failure?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I like how they can't stop talking about how Kaaya has dead eyes and creeps everyone out.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

I suspect most of the QB talk is a smokescreen and only one goes in the top half of the first round.

This is what SHOULD happen, but then again NFL teams overdraft bad QB prospects very often.

I'm hoping some comedy scenario we haven't even anticipated yet happens. OMG FULLBACK RUSH OUTTA NOWHERE or something, I dunno.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

If the Browns trade up for a QB in this shitass QB class LOL.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So the Browns allegedly want to move up from #12 to take a QB. Let's look at who is ahead of them:

2. San Francisco 49ers - No QB
3. Chicago Bears - No QB
4. Jacksonville Jaguars - Bort sucks, so no QB either
5. Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams) - Have a QB!
6. New York Jets - No QB
7. Los Angeles Chargers - Have an old as heck QB
8. Carolina Panthers - Have a QB!
9. Cincinnati Bengals - Have a QB!
10. Buffalo Bills - Have a QB, but one that ownership seems to hate for some irrational reason
11. New Orleans Saints - Have an old as heck QB

If, hypothetically, Trubisky is remotely worth taking before #12, then almost every team between #1 and #12 is a plausible threat to take him except the TItans, Panthers and Bengals.

That would suggest you should just take him #1 overall so you actually get him, instead of trying to get cute so you can get him taken out from under your nose.

On the other hand, if all these QBs are future garbagemen (which is what everyone seems to actually think) then you shouldn't even take one at #12, and instead should load up the rest of the roster and take a project in round 2+.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 26, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

Lol at the Browns

Can you be more specific?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

a new study bible! posted:

How retarded do you have to be as an organization to have the number 1 pick and still be in the middle of a panic over not being able to get the first round QB that you want to draft? Just draft the Tub overall number 1 because you are going to waste the pick anyway.

Oh that, yeah I don't get the logic either.

So you need a QB. You think (right or not) that it's worth somewhere between #1 and #12 to take him. You have #1 and #12. Most of the teams between #1 and #12 either have no QB, or have very old QBs. Also every GM is a lying fucker, keep that in mind.

IF you think that, then skipping the QB at #1 in the hopes you can trade up and get him between #1 and #12 is dumb, because almost everyone between #1 and #12 is a candidate to poach him from you, and you can't trust what anybody says about what their own plans are. I mean, the #2 team has poo poo for QB. The #3 team has a poo poo QB. The #4 team has a poo poo QB. So does #6. #7 and #11 have old QBs. #10 *should* have their QB, but the team is schizophrenic about it so who knows.

Assuming you will be able to trade up in front of whoever agrees with you about there being a QB worth taking at the top of the draft, when everyone is blowing smoke about their own intentions, seems like an awful strategy. Just blow #1 overall on the QB *IF* you think your franchise savior is sitting there (for some dumb reason) and get it over with.

• Locked thread