Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Why do I have the feeling that the people arguing against protesting now would be the same people in the 60s telling Civil Rights protestors to calm down and just accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

yeah I'm sure everyone can afford to go out and buy a business suit to protest

that's the most bougie statement I've heard in a long time

These protests are happening because of hate crimes spiking and many people (poc, muslims, women) feel at risk. People are literally scared for their safety, and the safety of their loved ones.

These protests are about civil rights. If you are here and tut-tutting activists now, talking about respectability politics and "Oh my god! the property damage!" You are no better than the racists who told civil rights activists in the 60s to "calm down" and stop being so drat violent and uppity.

If you are more worried about how the protests may inconvenience you than the fact that people are literally being murdered, harassed and threatened because of their race, religion and sex, then you are part the problem.

Do not offer "solutions".

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lmao I live and work in Detroit in commercial and film production. I am a contractor and I live below the poverty level. I'm speaking from firsthand experience. I own one "suit".. it was a hand-me down from a friend. and yeah you can get an ugly thrift store suit... sometimes. a lot of places who get anything "too nice" sell it online for higher profit. You can your thrift store suit and they'll still use slurs and use something about it (look at those pimps and drug dealers! This is something Bill O'Reilly actually said) to demean you and dismiss your concerns. You are also forgetting that different people are protesting for different reasons. Feminists saying women should be free to wear what they want without being accused of asking for Trump to grope them... Should they wear suits?

It's also dumb respectability politics to say to black people yeah well take you seriously when you assimilate and dress like us.

Also fyi, I'm a woman, so don't misgender me. Thanks.

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 15, 2016

• Locked thread