Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

Kshama Sawant called for a nation wide general strike to take place on inauguration day. I hope more and more people come around to this idea because striking is one of the most effective tools we have. Until then, rallies and marches to keep people engaged and organized. We had a rally locally last night at city hall and a planning meeting at a community library this sunday to start charting a course for action over the next few months. Solidarity.

I don't believe in a strike on inauguration day because a strike should be a powerful tool for demanding concessions, not just expressing anger. Protesting simply the idea of President Trump feels great but it doesn't accomplish anything specific. When people get ready to protest actions taken by the administration, they should be have specific demands and be prepared to keep going until they win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here's how you fix things: You gently caress with their money.

When Indiana and North Carolina passed/tried to pass their heinous anti-gay stuff, no amount of protesting or media outcry was going to stop it. The only thing that had an impact was when businesses started to move out of the states or made other economic pressure. If you're not the owner of a giant corporation, then you'll have to find some other way to gently caress with their money.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

its a chance to network and organize for the future. If one is happening near you, you should make an appearance.

That's a great point and I didn't think of it that way. I've sat on the sidelines but need to get more involved now.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

apropos to nothing posted:

One component I'm going to suggest that our community is pursuing is to demand that your local city declare itself a sanctuary city. It's a good first step I think, presents a clear demand that can be used to pressure local governance, and addresses the fears of retaliation against immigrants that trump has championed.

That's a really awesome idea. I'm going to a gathering outside Austin city hall tomorrow morning that is focused on showing solidarity among and with immigrant communities. Travis County's newly elected sheriff, Sally Hernandez, has promised to turn Austin into a sanctuary city. If I have a chance, I'll speak for just a minute about her and that we all need to make sure she keeps her promise.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

On my way to a solidarity with immigrants rally outside City Hall!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The rally I'm at in Austin Texas is incredible. Hundreds of people and the Mayor declared Austin will be a Sanctuary City. If he really means it today should be national news.

Edit turns out the mayor is not willing to make that stance. drat

blue squares fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 13, 2016

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In Austin, a woman named Cristina Tzintzún spoke. She gave one of the best speeches I've ever heard in person. It was fiery, it was emotional, and it was inspiring. She just launched a new group called JOLT (https://www.jolttx.org). Its website isn't much and it just began, but Cristina is amazing. Here is a bit about her

quote:

Tzintzún is a leader in the Latino immigrant and workers’ rights movements, and was named “Hero of the New South” by Southern Living Magazine and Texas’ top 20 Changemakers by the Texas Observer. Her work has been featured on NPR, The New York Times, USA Today, Univision, and MSNBC’s Up Late with Alec Baldwin. Cristina is the author of the book “Presente! Latino Immigrant Voices in the Struggle for Racial Justice” published by AK Press (2014) and other works on issues of race, class and gender.

At 24, Cristina co-founded Workers Defense Project (WDP), a statewide, membership-based workers’ rights organization winning better working conditions for immigrant workers in Texas. She built WDP from a small volunteer project into a statewide organization that was named “one of the most creative organization’s for immigrant workers in the country” by The New York Times.

She helped lead the organization for over a decade, taking on one of the most powerful special interest groups in Texas – the construction and real-estate industry. Working conditions for the nearly 1 million construction workers who labor in Lone Star state are some of the worst in the country, with widespread documented cases of wage theft, injury and death. At WDP, Cristina won the passage of half a dozen local and state laws, better protecting the rights of hundreds of thousands of workers, guaranteeing them higher wages and safer working conditions.

So I know she is legit and means business. I talked to her and told her I want to work for her. I don't know if she is a citizen, but if she is, the Democrats NEED to be getting her to run for something.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Asking for a friend: is a Molotov cocktail through the window of an unoccupied building violent or non violent?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

Hey, completely random question: What's the process in the US government for officially declaring a group a terrorist organization?

There's a protest planned in Toronto on November 19.

There's no official designation AFAIK, and even if there were it doesn't matter much because the KKK gets to have all the marches they want. 1st amendment.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I guess the Tea Party protests were just tantrums, too, huh

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Marcus Peters way to make your Field Goal harder lol
edit: oops this post was supposed to go into the NFL game day thread

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

Finally, an edge sharp enough to end capitalism. Destroying someone's livelihood isn't justified just because you made a sweeping judgment based on someone else's wrongdoings. And if you think it does, understand that winding up to throw a molly into a building that someone's inside constitutes a grievous threat to life and limb and makes you a valid target. They're 100% justified in firing every bullet they have if that's what it takes to kill you and anyone participating in what you're doing. Hanging around after you threw it and/or generally doing anything besides immediately running the gently caress away will continue to make you a valid target because you've already demonstrated a willingness to try to kill them with a thrown incendiary device once, you may do it again.

Until you came in the thread I didnt see anyone posting about burning down buildings, so I'm pretty sure you're just another gun nut who is obsessed with the idea of shooting someone and you're projecting your murderous fantasies onto this thread.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

DeusExMachinima posted:

You don't seem to get it. "They're jerks!" or "They fired someone I know!" isn't a valid excuse for violence.

Nobody is saying anything like that except for you, psychopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Kilroy posted:

Maybe the reason American protests are so vulnerable to agents provocateur and anarchist assholes co-opting the message is that they're such a shitshow in the first place? It's pretty easy to derail a protest if it's just a bunch of dorks screaming incoherently and banging drums and looking for something to break. Socrates figured this out 2500 years ago: a disorderly mob is no more an army than a heap of building materials is a house. If you really want to strike fear into the hearts of the ruling class (and, I suspect, if you want to convince more people to join your cause), show up in a tie or at least business casual, march in an orderly fashion, stick to a few slogans, then go home. Show up again next week and do the same. Do this and connect like-minded people with one another so they know they aren't alone. This approach would be orders of magnitude more effective and attract many more people than what the left has been doing since forever.

Marching politely in a tie never changed a thing. The successes of the Civil Rights Era didn't happen because black people were nice and well-dressed. They happened because boycotts put economic pressure on businesses which then looked to government to give the protestors what they wanted, and they happened because the Black Panthers and Malcolm X scared the poo poo out of white people until they felt it was better to give in than hold out.

• Locked thread