Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
In case you guys aren't aware of the seriousness of the situation, Newt Gingrich want's to bring back the House of Un-American Activities, so be aware that the dangers are very real.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/14/politics/newt-gingrich-house-un-american-activities-committee/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah guys stop protesting just accept being having all your rights stripped of you. Stay silent while they pull the trigger on the gun to your head. Who cares about raising awareness and networking and getting people interested and letting those racist animals know that your not accepting at all of what you have planned for them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

im sorry i feel that the examples of the Arab Spring and the Syrian Revolution are not desirable outcomes for me and those close to me.

How is this relevant at all? Peaceful protesting is a bad thing?

Also lol both those examples became what they became is because the governments killed everybody who opposed them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

yes because those governments are filled with psychopaths who were just itching for an excuse. now that an orange manchild has the reigns of the most influential, powerful and possibly the most repressive government on the planet, i should probably think twice about being a smart rear end, because i know i will just lose the little i have and not get it back ever.

and rioting is not peaceful

Except nobody is saying go riot.

Also the day you should be afraid of a president so much that you don't protest is the day American freedom as a CONCEPT is dead and and buried.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

there is still a robust political process, which anyone can participate (and he proved that) and its completely irresponsible to try to subvert it just because you don't like one(1) election result.

what im trying to say, that being needlessly dismissive is just going to give you an image of being unproductive or even criminal.

Must be nice not being directly threatened and in immediate danger like millions of Americans are. That's nice that you have that luxury.

Except for lots of people they are now faced with a president, senate and congress that's going to work very hard to make their lives a nightmare for years to come.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Pajser posted:

which has happened twice now in twenty years.

what do you want me to do? you think ill get some appreciation if become another "woke" white guy who is dumb enough to get imprisoned?

Nobody's asking you to do anything, stay at home, scratch your balls, whatever.

Also the whole point of doing the right thing and protecting other people isnt appreciation, it's doing it because you believe in the human rights of others. Appreciation isn't the point.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The guys complaining that protesting is bad are exactly the kind of people who wrote notecards to Martin Luther king admonishing him for the protests he lead and self righteously telling him that he was driving people away from his cause and calling him an inciter to violence, telling him that if he was a REAL civil liberties fighter he'd stop protesting.

Pro tip:- those guys were just pretend liberals who hated blacks but were too cowardly to say to outright say it so they looked for excuses to not support MLK any way they can.

Also there's plenty of reasons to fear someone who's directly threatening the lives of millions of people.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

SlothSpot posted:

I thought this was a forum for, I dunno.. debate and discussion and not solely for organising protests? Maybe there should be a debate as to whether that protest should be going ahead in the first place. My opinion is it shouldn't be.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Two Feet From Bread posted:

But these aren't new tactics. MLK Jr used this exact format during his walks. Just because you don't like suits doesn't mean you can't use them like a tool to further your goals.

But, since I'm a gun owning, Republican, Trump voter from Texas with a marketing degree, who is legitimately offering you an olive branch, from Greece even, you can always just ignore my advice and throw in some personal attacks like you did to the last poster. Up to you.

MLK did everything in his power to walk the line and be peaceful but he was still met with dogs and waterhoses wherever he went, and he was still harangued by pretend concern trolls who tried to shame him for rabble rousing and 'inciting' riots. I'm sorry but you clearly have this whitewashed view of how much poo poo MLK had to put up with and how little in the way of 'olive branches' he was given by people who opposed him or pretended that they were liberals at the time.

Question, does it bother you that a literal anti-Semite Jew hater is in the white house? I mean I could understand why you might hate Mexicans and muslims and think they're taking your jobs given ho how you voted, and that your olive branch is kind of illusory given how many peoples lives are going to get ruined by the conscious vote you made to vote in a racist sex assaulter who is going to take away many peoples human rights, protections, freedoms and healthcare, but surely, SURELY anti-Semitism would rattle a few bones in you, couldn't it?

Here's what I'm going to bet you:- No matter how clean cut, shirts tucked, pants pulled up, boots strapped, cross wearing the people who opposed trump is, you're mind wont get changed, because at the end of the day, it never has been about any of that, it has been about pure unbrididled misguided hate at the economic situation, at the end of the day, you voted for millions of people deported, you want entire religions banned, you want African Americans to experience a level of discrimination with more Treyvon martins, and you want women to be deprived of their rights, you want climate change deniers to wreck the earth, and you want anti-semites backed by the KKK in the white house. All of this is wrapped with concerns over jobs.

The difference between what you saw in Greece (which included massive riots by the way, if you're capable of reading history) and what's going on now, is that the main disagreement in Greece was over the overall serious economic direction of the country, that's it. not the fact that millions of greeks lives was about to get destroyed and humiliated and deprived, not that the millions of immigrants who eventually became citizens were going to be deported, not that abortion was under threat, none of that was in the offing, I guarantee you, that if the elections in Greece had also involved human rights and human life as much as it involved 'the economy' then not a single building in Athens would be left standing. I guarantee you, that if a single member of the Nazi golden dawn party was allowed into the government the same way steve bannon was allowed into the white house, the greek people would've overrun their parliament by now.

You don't want an olive branch, you want people to stay silent and accept the incoming massive deprivation and humiliation they're about to experience, so no, I'm sorry but they have every right to call you names and have signs and protest loudly because to many of them it's life or death and it's their basic human rights at stake. and you know what the best part is, you're going to get as much hosed when paul ryan takes away your healthcare and turns it into a premium private insurance bonanza, so have fun with that.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 14, 2016

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's been a whole longrunning thing of stay-at-home liberals trying to use respectability politics to choke off all political action more radical than voting for Hillary Clinton so insisting protests have a dress code is going to be a nonstarter, but taking deliberate control of your own public presentation is sort of a fundamental political tool to be considered in a discussion about protest strategy, and if your first reaction to the assumption that an adult would own one set of nice clothes is 'check your privilege shitlord' you don't have anything to say to the halls of power or poor folk who need to put forth effort to survive in society.

Oh I'm all for wearing suits and stuff, I just know for a fact that people who view it as their deal breaker are loving liars who wouldn't do anything even if every protestor could scrounge up the money to by Armani suits for every single person protesting. Because underneath that suit a the end of the day is someone they don't view as worthy of having their human rights respected.

I mean, how many suits do people need to wear to convince you that sexually assaulting women or having a rabid anti-Semite in the white house is a bad thing, or are these guys really that dense and stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Also it's super funny how this guy points to Greece and forgets that it was precisely the constant country-stopping protests (which included giant riots) that mobilized an entire generation and got people organized and connected which ended up forming the political party that now rules Greece as the current largest political party of the land.

• Locked thread