Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

Small business owners are only very rarely better employers and generaly tend to act like petty tyrants because their employees have less recourse, they're not, on the whole, that much more deserving of respect than major CEOs.

Also I would surmise that a lot of the angriest are people who work for small businesses.

My dad owns two small businesses and is not only the most leftist guy I know, but also treats his employees amazingly. How about you knock the ridiculous generalities and attempts to rationalize violence off for a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

"My" deader than dead ideology (I'm not a marxist) didn't just get owned as it proclaimed eternal victory forever and the end of history just at the beginning of a new fascist wave. You're not going to convince the angry to not be angry just because it's a small business in the way rather than a big one. Riots are what happens when popular anger needs an outlet and doesn't have one. And purely putting the blame on outside anarchists isn't going to make the people who are rioting give a gently caress.

Media will always find people to scapegoat, will always find reasons to claim a protest is violent, the moment it goes against what they want which is stability more than social progress. I've been in protests with 0 arrests and maybe one window broken that were either minimized or turned into ultra-violent shitshows in the media's descriptions of it.

Your original argument was that it's ok if small business locations get torched because their owners are probably Trump supporters, not whatever "incidental things happen" watered down bullshit you're trying to push now. Pick a loving stance and stick with it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Stop everything, this guy has a dad!

Claiming you can do whatever you want because you assume the person whose livelihood you're harming voted for Trump is the dumbest thing imaginable and you're a terrible loving idiot if you think you can justify it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agnosticnixie posted:

Look, I'm glad your dad is "a good one" but on the whole as a broad cultural thing we put small business owners on a loving pedestal that most of them do not deserve anymore than any wall-street CEOs. My personal opinion on that doesn't even matter though because ultimately you're not going to be doing anything but ride on a high horse once the MSM falls in line and starts making sure not a single drat protest gets described as anything but an angry anarchistic bloodbath. Anarchists agitators are the liberal version of crisis actors.

"Small business owners" as a talking point is a right wing media thing and you're beyond guilable if you bought their bullshit about them being majority conservative. Do you have any idea how many are immigrants, lgbtq, anti-corporate leftists? Yeah there's terrible mom and pop style stores out there but you're literally advocating that it's ok to destroy any property out of anger cause you're pissed off about politics. You're not even attempting to disguise it

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Svartvit posted:

As "someone from the outside looking in", who followed the protests in LA live, they were meek and uneventful. Compared to Greece it was like watching a kindergarten excursion. I'm pretty sure that I at one point saw hundreds of people standing around a police officer, listening to him talk. Wowzers! What happened to US protest culture?

It's probably the "wowzers" that capped it off but I read this in "Max from Life is Strange" voice

• Locked thread