Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

apropos to nothing posted:

I get really sick of hearing people poo poo on protesting. It works, I have seen it work in my community where it has gotten living wage ordinances passed locally, defeated local ordinances that would have criminalized homelessness, helped provide the political will to create homeless shelters and safe spaces, organized workers to unionize and strike. All of this has happened in my community because of organized and sustained protest movements. The reason people like to poo poo on protesting is because they don't want to be bothered to do it and want to feel self righteous about their inaction so they don't have to feel guilty for doing nothing.

Those were local issues with local decision making. I'm not sure what protesting a newly elected president in the abstract is going to achieve. He's not resigning. The moment he tried to pass something heinous, protesting in DC or around federal institutions would make more sense of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And Ukrainians managed to oust Yanukovich (with some molotovs, and let's ignore how that turned out). The problem is that neither Trump nor anyone else just elected is actually in office.

I'm all for protesting, and networking and solidarity is a good reason to do so. It just feels somewhat premature, and I'm afraid that things are going to flame out by inauguration. I'm not American but do have a stake in everything not going down the shitter.

• Locked thread