Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So if you have been on a news blackout because the fact the the USA just elected a fascist buffoon is too much for you to bear, you might want to consider tuning back in. Less than 24 hours after Trump won, there have been a shitload of protests all across the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/election-results-reaction-streets/index.html

quote:

"Not my President, not today," many across the nation yelled.
In cities from Boston to Los Angeles, thousands of demonstrators gathered Wednesday night in protest of election results that mean the billionaire real estate developer will be the next president.
One college student showed CNN a sign that said, "I still can't believe I have to protest for civil rights."

And it continued Thursday

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/11/10/not-my-president-thousand-protest-trump-in-rallies-across-the-u-s/

quote:

Nationwide demonstrations against the election of Donald Trump spilled into a second night Thursday with thousands of protesters surrounding his buildings in New York and Chicago and clashing with supporters of the president-elect in some areas.

Condemning Trump's litany of crude comments about women and his attacks on immigrants, demonstrators marched along city streets, blocked intersections, burned effigies and, in some places, gathered outside buildings bearing Trump's name.
MoveOn.org, a liberal group, had called on people to gather in cities nationwide. Ben Wikler, MoveOn's Washington director, said that people had registered to organize events in 275 cities and communities across the country, noting that many were candlelight vigils and group discussions rather than the sprawling marches seen in New York and Chicago.

“A lot of people reacted to the election results with a kind of plodding feeling, like they wanted to curl up under their desks or hide under their sheets,” Wikler said Thursday. “Just knowing that you're not alone in this country is a powerful salve. And knowing there are people that want to continue to fight for a more perfect union is a source of strength at a moment that can feel very scary.”
In Philadelphia, an estimated 1,000 protesters filled the streets chanting slogans such as “We reject the president-elect,” and “hands too small, can’t build a wall.”

I myself just got back from the Philly protest, it was really something. It seems like alot of people are taking the fear and despair that they felt after the election and are letting that spur them into action. I'm not saying this is the start of the Democrat Tea Party, hope being a lie and all that, but there is potential to shape the anger behind these protests into something more.

So use this thread to talk about your experiences at the protests, or talk about what these protests should turn into, or talk about how the protestors are whiny babies and you are Rudy Giuliani. And personally, if anyone still feels stuck in the grip of despair that followed this election, go to a protest. You'll feel better, or at least you'll get some exercise.

Also I am a total protest newbie so if anyone more experienced at this game wants to chime in please do.

Inspiration for thread title:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/796900183955095552

EDIT FOR FINDING PROTESTS: Search facebook for groups around you that organized protests already. Variants of "protest trump" and "gently caress Trump" seem fruitful. If you can't find anything happening today, message the people that were involved in previous protests to find out info.

Here's a trove of events from a search of "protest trump" on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/search/events/?q=protest%20trump

EDIT THE SECOND: As is inevitable on the Debate Disco, many people have come to this thread to passionately express their opinions, and sometimes this results in rather pointed disagreements. I would like to ask everyone to always try to be constructive in their contributions, be it criticisms of the protests, or disagreements with other posters.

I'm sure some people will come to this thread for the sole purpose of threadshitting, but if you believe someone to be doing such, please report them and move on, or if you really want to argue with them, please utilize our lovely uspol thread located right next door. In short:

(Thanks Diogenis!)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also write letters to your reps about how you'll strongly disapprove about any cooperation with trump. Again, the bare minimum but at least it's getting something done

e: Anyway, I know of another protest happening tonight in Philadelphia that starts at City Hall at 6:30. Post protests happening in your area so that we can get our paychecks from Soros

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 11, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

1stGear posted:

Anyone know if the protests in Austin are going to be continuing into a third night? Will be in the city and would like to be there for at least a bit.

It seems like the protests originated from the University of Texas, so your best bet is to try and search facebook/twitter in relation to that to see if anyone is talking about it

e: Protest Trump Austin Tx is a group on facebook thats doing something on sunday. Try messaging them if they are or they know of anything going down tonight

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 11, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

evilmiera posted:

This somehow feels like a Freeper thread except people here aren't too morbidly obese to actually go out rioting I'm scared :smith:

Go to a protest. Seriously, you don't even half to join in, just go and watch for a bit. Unless your name is trump or mike pence (or KKK) I don't think you'll feel threatened once you see it. (Unless you're in Oakland because Jesus those guys are hardcore)

PleasingFungus posted:

If I wanted to join a local protest, how would I find one? Living in the SF Bay Area - the news says there are ongoing protests, but I can't find any sort of organizers or planning, which seems like it'd make them hard to join unless they march past my door.

Check for local facebook groups. If you can't find anything for today, message the people who did protests yesterday.

e: Found this on facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/229810120765591/

Says it starts by Post and Powel (I dont live in SF so I have no idea where that is) and its hosted by gently caress Trump SF. Again, if you can't make it to that one, message the people involved and see if they can tell you about anything nearby you.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 11, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

OWLS! posted:

NERDS ON PARADE

*ddzzhwowdzzhwowwowdzhh*

NERDS ON PARADE

Sir if you are not going to contribute positively to this discussion, I am going to have to ask you to at least put more effort into your trolling

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 11, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pajser posted:

I hope this grows into a momentum. A movement. Spread awareness on social media.

Give it some name. Start asking for donations.
Hell, crash the inauguration, like that's a hard thing to do.

And then when large donations start pouring in, start backstabbing each other like every other protesting activist group in the past twenty years.

See Owls, this guy knows how to bury the lede. I will fully support taking the piss out of this thread in this manner.

But Pajser you should go to a protest if only to get more material to make fun of them. And maybe you can ironically participate and ironically support the cause and WHOOPS LOOKS LIKE YOURE A PART OF THE SOROS SQUAD NOW

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pajser posted:

not as ironic as trying to stop a fascist AFTER he won the election.

because the election season was real quick, like two weeks tops.
nobody even who trump was a month ago, this took everyone completely by surprise

by january you will just another group of useful idiots and/or a vehicle for an insufferable twitter celebrity, until you finally reach obscurity.

half of all participants could be imprisoned and maybe tortured and the rest of the clever sing carriers wont give a single gently caress about them

I don't know man I feel like you showed your hand too quickly here. Like you could have gotten at least another page out of backhanded support and then really owned us all. But you did show some effort, and these protests are about the bare minimum of effort thats warranted, so I guess you are right at home in this thread!

The Kingfish posted:

I think Zizek is right. It would be better for the left if protesters stopped protesting and thought about what should actually be done.

At the risk of trotting out "we can do more than one thing at the same time," nearly every protest I've heard about have had calls to meet to organize next week into something more cohesive.

The sheer spontaneity of these protests is going to cause a lag in organization, but the fact that there is such a sentiment about how unacceptable this poo poo is needs to be expressed.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Pajser posted:

are you seriously this naive?

what is exactly is your goal here with organizing protests? What's the result here?
Impeachment? Making him resign?
until then what? just throwing people into a meatgrinder to prove a point everyone already gets?

there is righteous anger, of course. I agree completely with you. but if you refuse to play the game by the rules you are just going to get manipulated.

Let me be clear, protesting is in no way remotely sufficient. It's a first step that has to be followed by many others from organizing to a cohesive plan with goals. My personal hope, though hope is a lie obviously, is that this popular sentiment can be refined into a grassroots movement that will place immense pressure on the Democrat Party to resist Trump and adopt actual leftism. Its a cliche, but the Democratic Tea Party would feel pretty good.

Also I thought you were trolling so I was pretty jokey in my response, sorry.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Oh wow we are going to have so much solidarity now what an excellent and successful protest.

When people are genuinely afraid of persecution from the right-wing shitheads that feel like they're unstoppable right now, yes, solidarity is really loving important. Both to show those vulnerable that they are not alone and that they have support, and to show would-be skinheads that there are plenty of people that have some pointed remarks about them trying to smash people's houses and harass/assault people they view as other.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Kingfish is an avowed white supremacist, just put them on ignore.

Its me, I'm the easily trolled D&Der :corncob:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Guys I appreciate the debate about the futility/importance of protests but I'd like this to be a thread that provides resources to go to protests so if you feel like you're getting into a multi-page argument please consider taking into our fine uspol thread.

This isn't a get-out just a request to be mindful of the content you're contributing. Speaking of which, I'm heading out to the Philly protest by city hall right now, so if anyone sees a guy with a red beard and a bulky leather coat that may be me. Or not, that's kind of a vague description.

Good luck to all protesters tonight, try not to get your head kicked in unless you think it's for a really good cause!

The Kingfish posted:

:yeah: that's great man I'm glad to here it!

Posts like this are great however, so don't shy from arguing if you feel you are being constructive!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 12, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Very important: If you ever find yourself in front of a camera make sure that you're utterly unable to communicate your position beyond a few sophomoric slogans. Should you be pressed by a journalist for details say something vague about the patriarchy and power structures.

Some tips:

- The words "um" "like" "kinda" "y'know" are very powerful persuasive words. USE THEM!

- The average American is very well versed in university third wave intersectionalist feminism. Phrases like cisheteronormative are an excellent shortcut to get your point across for a quick sound bite.

- Obscenity on signs. If you want a national audience to see your slogan include gently caress it in it.

- PIERCINGS PIERCINGS PIERCINGS!!!

poo poo, I got interviewed and followed none of these tips. Well RIP my all-too-brief protesting career

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

SlothSpot posted:

I thought this was a forum for, I dunno.. debate and discussion and not solely for organising protests? Maybe there should be a debate as to whether that protest should be going ahead in the first place. My opinion is it shouldn't be.

Feel free to constructively contribute to discussion of the protests even ifit is to disagree with them! After all, as I said in the OP,

A big flaming stink posted:

or talk about how the protestors are whiny babies and you are Rudy Giuliani.

So if you are willing to move beyond pithy one-liners Mr. Giuliani, I would be happy to have your perspective in this thread. Specifically, if you think that the protests are an ill-advised choice of action, what would you suggest in their stead?

Also to everyone, I understand the urge to be dismissive or rude to those that come off as shitposting, but please try to be constructive, and if you believe someone is actively threadshitting, report and move on, or take the debate to our lovely uspol thread. Thanks!

Or to steal from Diogenis:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 12, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well, from last night we did the standard march for about 5 miles (god I wish I wasnt out of shape) and finished around 11. Smaller crowd than the two previous days and people were definitely peeling off near the end, but it was real loving cold so I suppose that's understandable. The organizers talked about taking the time to contact local reps and attend board meetings for local politics so its enheartening to hear talk about transitioning into grassroot politics already. It's somewhat perplexing to see multiple protests going on the same day and seemingly little effort to coordinate between them, but I'm kind of at a loss how to go about pursuing that (personally speaking).

I got one line in a local article so I guess that places me on the House of Un-American Activities List for next year, lol. On that note, my cousin introduced me to Signal Private Messaging, an app on Android that supposedly encrypts your texts and calls. It's trivial to install so if anyone has the slightest concern about privacy issues, or you are communicating with someone who does, this is a pretty simple quick fix.

Another protest at 6:30 tonight, I feel pretty tired and my voice is gone, but I still want to try and at least show up for the start of it. On the other hand, I spoke to one of the organizers last night and he said one of the goals today was to try and march onto the freeway which...sounds a bit dodgy to me, but I am a wimp at civil disobedience so my opinion probably doesn't count for much.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So, for a reminder, Philadelphia has a protest starting at Thomas Paine Plaza, by city hall, around 6:30, though I will be taking a night off to reclaim my vocal chords. Tomorrow, there is a protest starting at 3pm at the same place which says it ends at 5, though that could vary as well. I'd bet anything that there will also be a protest starting, again, at Thomas Paine Plaza around 6:30.

Please post the protests that are going down around you even if you aren't going yourself. Also, if anyone has questions about how to find their protests, I'll do my best to answer them (though results may vary).

Finally, if you do end up in a protest, post about it in this thread! My experiences have been awesome, and I have little doubt that your testimonials will inspire both posters and lurkers to become involved.

basically :justpost:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

I'm still curious if any protests are going on around US embassies and consulates abroad. Any advice for finding those and/or arranging them?

Do you have a particular country in mind? Stand Up to Racism had a protest on wednesday originating for the embassy in London, and they're planning an event for the 19th. I know my friend has been attending protests in Rome, though I didn't get the details.

e: from some guy posting on facebook it seems there's a protest going down tonight in germany

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 12, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

Calgary or Canada in general, for me.

Global BC is reporting that there's a protest planned outside the vancouver arts gallery tonight.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3063358/anti-trump-protest-planned-for-downtown-vancouver-saturday/?sf42197324=1

I think you'd be best off searching your local news organizations for info about upcoming elections, trying to sift through facebook is a bit much.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

PT6A posted:

I googled it and didn't come across anything nor have I been able to find anything on Twitter about it.

Thanks for taking a look.

yeah having difficulty finding anything Calgary specific, mostly defunct websites. You could try just rolling up to the embassy just to see if anything's going down

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Velkest posted:

Hey y'all, just wanted to pop in here to let you know that you are behaving like spoiled brats that can't handle democracy and as a punishment you're now getting 8 years of Trump, instead of 4.

I hope you learned your lesson.

Sir this is a thread for constructive contributions only. If you are going to troll you are going to need to put far more effort into it than that. If that is too much for you, we have many lovely threads in C-SPAM and GBS where your quality of posting would fit right in. Thanks! :)

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 12, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Irom posted:

man some of you guys are having a bad week

that's the loving understatement of the year

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Veyrall posted:

I'm in Mississippi so there's basically nothing going on in terms of protests going on. Does anyone know of any protesting going on in the south?

idiot of the legal system said they were a community organizer in Atlanta, so they might have some insight to offer. Idiot, if you read this post, your input would be greatly appreciated!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

I read through this thread and I just really want to know an answer to this question. What is this going to achieve, other than showing that you dislike the results of a public election? It isn't like the government will suddenly block Trump from becoming President just because some people didn't like the results of the election.

In fact, this seems to weaken the ability for protesters to make a point. He hasn't even taken office yet, and people are launching prejudiced protests against him for his role in hypothetical situations.

Cool, I get to repost my post from the other lamer, less attractive protest thread

quote:

As for me, I could say that it's about showing solidarity with those that have been demonized by Trump's rhetoric and to tell them that the entire country doesn't hate them and that they aren't alone. I could also say it's about trying to build momentum for an actual leftist political force in the United States. But really, the thing that got me on the streets was that I saw that some people weren't going to take this horrendous poo poo sitting down, and decided that I had to stand the gently caress up with them. A feeling of resolve beats a feeling of despair any day, and its probably more productive as well.

Groups of vulnerable people are terrified right now and we have to show them that they are not alone. If there's any chance of an actual opposition arising from this then we have to pursue it now and every day forward. Sure there's a good chance it will fail to cause genuine change, but your view that protesting is pointless leads to the identical result of said failure. Between trying and failing or giving up from the getgo, I'll take the option that has a chance of success, however miniscule, any day.

Besides, he's not my loving president, and that's a point that needs to be driven into that fascist buffoon's skull every loving day.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

blue squares posted:

Asking for a friend: is a Molotov cocktail through the window of an unoccupied building violent or non violent?

Unfortunately fire is always bad

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Sorry Malcolm X organized poo poo, blue squares. He did not sit in a drum circle with other patchouli-scented hippies and sing songs. He did not try to win for his cause with sick burns on placards. As for the Black Panthers I think that sort of thing is going to see a resurgence and good on them if it does. I actually like BLM in contrast to the rabble we usually see from the activist left.

Fine. The business suit thing or whatever was a little tongue in cheek but the point is to present yourself as an ordinary person. White people with dreadlocks are not ordinary people.

I am not worried in the slightest if these protests inconvenience me - I hope they do that means they are doing something. I absolutely want the carnage to end and I think BLM is actually a very effective protest movement compared to what we usually get.

A couple hundred people marching in Cleveland or whatever is nothing. It is a blip. I want more people to join these protests, actually. I want to join one myself but from what I can tell there is nothing worthwhile there aside from possibly meeting like-minded people which may get me to overcome my aversion to going. Other than that though, it seems like a waste.

Sorry if I'm coming into your thread with my bougie "solutions" and pissing you off. I do want to get more people involved. It doesn't seem to me that's going to happen with the way things are going.

Ok the past page has been pretty back-and-forth and not the most constructive on either side's part so I don't want you to feel like I'm singling you out or whatever, but this

quote:

I want to join one myself but from what I can tell there is nothing worthwhile there aside from possibly meeting like-minded people which may get me to overcome my aversion to going. Other than that though, it seems like a waste.

is completely loving ridiculous. These are spontaneous protests, some organized by a multitude of different groups, that are happening all over the friggin country, and you can tell there is nothing worthwhile to be had despite never even going to a loving protest?! What the hell. It's fine to criticize the protests in this thread and even the "constructively" part can be pretty low effort, but you claim absolute ignorance and absolute knowledge in the same sentence!

Please, highly consider reexamining your own belief as well as the possibility your perception might be based on pre-existing biases, and most importantly, at least show up to a protest to watch what is going on, if for no other reason that you can then tell me to shut up.

apropos to nothing posted:

Locally we're organizing a march next saturday. We're also organizing a campaign to put pressure on local and state government officials to make a pledge to resist the trump agenda, and a campaign to get our city officials to designate the city a sanctuary city. Small group is preparing squads to go out into the rural areas to help educate and provide resources to agricultural farm workers who might be at risk for deportation or harassment from local police. Also trying to organize a unified student/faculty group at the community college I work at and the big state university in town.

That's great to hear, keep the updates coming :yeah:

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 14, 2016

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kilroy posted:

Fair enough - both of you. I'm not in the country right now but will go to one of these once I'm back.

Ok that's a pretty good reason not to go to a protest. I apologize for my harsh tone.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you should go out and get a thrift store business suit so you can get a job one day, if you're anywhere above homeless on the hierarchy of needs you can afford it as an extremely good investment for all sorts of situations where society rewards the respectable-looking

you'll be overdressed for the kind of protest where punk kids who learned about politics from the internet go to get arrested for street cred, but you can probably talk your way into a city council meeting in one.

This is really loving condescending and insulting. This thread is many things, but one thing it absolutely is not is yet another thread where low-effort drive-by posters poo poo on Koalas march. I'm not even going to bother with joking about requiring more effort in your trolling. Don't post like this in this thread. If you can't manage that, get out.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Hi, thanks for the expatriate perspective! I had little complaint on talking about the subject of "wear a suit" or not, the dress code of a protest is a totally valid thing to discuss. It was the fact that he chose to direct it at KM, a production manager in Hollywood, with the condescension of "when you get a job" that made that completely unacceptable. If you're not a posting friend at the Disco, it's easy to fail to notice that there is a really consistent pattern for people to constantly take potshots at the openly black members of this board, and that's simply not going to be a part of this thread.

Personally I believe how respectful a protest may appear is less important than how difficult it is to ignore these days, but that might be a side effect of constantly listening to Trumps rhetoric for the past 4 months. That's just my opinion of the current climate though, and could easily be a misreading!

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 14, 2016

• Locked thread