Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothSpot
Feb 14, 2012

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Protesting is cool and good and the quality of the people telling you it's bad should tell you something. It shows people that other people are angry and that it's OK to be angry. I saw a clip of of some guy who was most likely just a doofy middle-class office worker like me waving a sign around and shouting and it just so God drat encouraging. The more "normal" people you get out in the streets protesting peacefully but loudly the less this terrible presidency gets normalized.
Or maybe it shows that there's incredible fear mongering going on and people are so petulant that they immediately protest a democratically elected President. Do you not understand how that kind of protesting drives people away and doesn't help your cause? At least wait until the guy does something, anything. The reaction to Trump's victory has been absolutely pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothSpot
Feb 14, 2012

apropos to nothing posted:

Please just ignore the posters who question the usefulness or who are dismissive of protesting. The thread is about protesting so let's focus on strategies and ways to organize and work in solidarity. One component I'm going to suggest that our community is pursuing is to demand that your local city declare itself a sanctuary city. It's a good first step I think, presents a clear demand that can be used to pressure local governance, and addresses the fears of retaliation against immigrants that trump has championed.
I thought this was a forum for, I dunno.. debate and discussion and not solely for organising protests? Maybe there should be a debate as to whether that protest should be going ahead in the first place. My opinion is it shouldn't be.

• Locked thread