Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Protesting is one thing, even if I'm skeptical of its effectiveness. But please, please don't engage in "direct action." You're just going to make life harder for small business owners and their employees who are trying to get by, possibly discredit yourselves (including the protestors who didn't burn anything down) in observers' eyes, and stand a somewhat elevated chance of gobbling lead from someone defending their livelihood. Don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Those poor poor Trump voting small-business owners whose life became so much harder because their workforce is on strike to oppose Trump. Won't anyone think of the small business owners? :qq:

(Direct action includes non-violent means, and non-violent direct action for just and good causes is just and good.)

I wasn't aware that businesses whose owners and every employee voted for Trump advertised that fact on the storefront. Almost as relieved as I am to know that fire can never spread.

Don't do it. Tossing a molly into a possibly occupied building can get you gunned down and the shooter will walk in the unlikely case charges are even brought.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

Small business owners are only very rarely better employers and generaly tend to act like petty tyrants because their employees have less recourse, they're not, on the whole, that much more deserving of respect than major CEOs.

Also I would surmise that a lot of the angriest are people who work for small businesses.

Finally, an edge sharp enough to end capitalism. Destroying someone's livelihood isn't justified just because you made a sweeping judgment based on someone else's wrongdoings. And if you think it does, understand that winding up to throw a molly into a building that someone's inside constitutes a grievous threat to life and limb and makes you a valid target. They're 100% justified in firing every bullet they have if that's what it takes to kill you and anyone participating in what you're doing. Hanging around after you threw it and/or generally doing anything besides immediately running the gently caress away will continue to make you a valid target because you've already demonstrated a willingness to try to kill them with a thrown incendiary device once, you may do it again.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

You call that edge, I call that a position that's been the standard line about the petty bourgeoisie in communism since the 1850s and that small businesses have rarely given any reason to change. Small business owners, on the whole, are probably more likely to have voted Trump.

Congrats on your deader-than-dead ideology. If you throw flammable poo poo into an occupied building, you're the threat and they're in the right to kill you. And even if you don't care about my bougie conceptions of property, you should care about people's lives, so be aware that you can never be sure in many cases whether or not a building is empty.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Agnosticnixie posted:

You're not going to convince the angry to not be angry just because it's a small business in the way rather than a big one.

I imagine someone(s) inside picking off anyone lighting a molotov will do some convincing. There's a huge difference between lying down on the freeway and what we're talking about.

Also:

Aesop Poprock posted:

Your original argument was that it's ok if small business locations get torched because their owners are probably Trump supporters, not whatever "incidental things happen" watered down bullshit you're trying to push now. Pick a loving stance and stick with it

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

Until you came in the thread I didnt see anyone posting about burning down buildings, so I'm pretty sure you're just another gun nut who is obsessed with the idea of shooting someone and you're projecting your murderous fantasies onto this thread.

It's true, it's true. As someone who thinks Trump will be terrible, it's not at all in my interest to encourage anti-Trump protesters to retain their credibility. I really just want to see DND posters gunned the gently caress down by a patriot equipped with a Daniel Defense Mk18 with a Surefire RC556 suppressor and Trijicon MRO electro-optical sight and and sweet Jesus HHHNNNNNGGGGG :newfap:

Agnosticnixie posted:

Look, I'm glad your dad is "a good one" but on the whole as a broad cultural thing we put small business owners on a loving pedestal that most of them do not deserve anymore than any wall-street CEOs. My personal opinion on that doesn't even matter though because ultimately you're not going to be doing anything but ride on a high horse once the MSM falls in line and starts making sure not a single drat protest gets described as anything but an angry anarchistic bloodbath. Anarchists agitators are the liberal version of crisis actors.

You don't seem to get it. "They're jerks!" or "They fired someone I know!" isn't a valid excuse for violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

blue squares posted:

Nobody is saying anything like that except for you, psychopath

quote:

You're not going to convince the angry to not be angry just because it's a small business in the way rather than a big one. Riots are what happens when popular anger needs an outlet and doesn't have one. And purely putting the blame on outside anarchists isn't going to make the people who are rioting give a gently caress.

If that ain't making excuses while leaving yourself an easy out if anyone tries to call you on it, I dunno what is.

• Locked thread