Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

:lol: at people who think you can protest, or have any civil disobedience and have no one get hurt, no property get destroyed, no one's day get poo poo on. Non-violence is *not* about making sure no one gets hurt, Non-violence is about making sure that the ones doing the hurting are the oppressors.

Everytime I hear something so profoundly naive like "Oh wow, the protestors blocked the freeway, they must hate good press!", I die a little inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Svartvit posted:

As "someone from the outside looking in", who followed the protests in LA live, they were meek and uneventful. Compared to Greece it was like watching a kindergarten excursion. I'm pretty sure that I at one point saw hundreds of people standing around a police officer, listening to him talk. Wowzers! What happened to US protest culture?

American protest culture has always been neutered, with the exceptions of the rioting that's followed in the wakes of various dead black dudes. I have a hard time imaging a Euromaidan style situation unless a cop beats a 4 year old to death, shoots three different black men, and then fucks your mom while wearing a cowboy hat and proclaiming his hatred for all things brown loudly in front of smartphones everywhere and still gets off scot free.

• Locked thread