Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
I'll be protesting tomorrow night in San Antonio (FB link: https://www.facebook.com/events/680342092129743/)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
San Antonio reporting here

I was at the protest at the Alamo last night. Decent turnout for what seemed like a last minute event (a little over 100 rsvps on the FB event but it looked like more than 200 showed up). The counter-protest consisted of one guy with a gadsden flag. We marched around downtown and through the riverwalk (a big touristy area), receiving both cheers and boos. I noticed a correlation among the hecklers; the larger the novelty cowboy hat/sombrero they wore, the more hateful their remarks. Quite a few people said that we should have been ashamed of ourselves for protesting on veteran's day, but they got shut down when the veteran in his 60s in our group got on the bullhorn. The group was very peaceful and we didn't have any conflicts with the police. Overall I had a good time, got some hugs and hi-fives when I would have otherwise just sat at home and played video games.

There's another protest tonight, 6:30 at City Hall. Nearly 800 people have rsvped for it so it should be quite the crowd. I made a sign earlier today with some hi-vis spraypaint and am looking forward to see how well it lights up in the dark.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice
San Antonio report pt. 2

Definitely a lot more people showed up tonight. We started at City Hall, marched through downtown, stopped at the Alamo for a bit, then returned to City Hall. As far as I am aware, the militia that said it would open-carry counter-protest did not show up. Cowards. I hardly noticed any hecklers at all. Once again, everyone in our group was respectful of the city and the police were very cooperative. I saw quite a few news cameras so I'll be keeping an eye on local media to see what coverage we get.

In summary:

karlor fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Nov 13, 2016

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Nathilus posted:

Are there any more coming up? I'm finally coming out of shock and would be willing to join in now that the sa protesters have proven themselves to be peaceful and socially responsible. But I dont put my face in books or anything like that so I don't know whats up.

The organizers mentioned that there would be some during the week (I can't make those due to work) and encouraged people to go to the protests in Austin as well. I'm not sure of any specifics at the moment but I'll post links to any that I come across in this thread and Texas Politics.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

Ogmius815 posted:

These protests will fizzle out. The same millennials who refused to vote because they feed on righteous indignation will get tired of this after a week.

Everyone I talked to at both protests voted and people of all ages were in attendance. This isn't just a millenial thing. Try harder next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A production manager in Hollywood should probably not try to pass himself off as the Lorax of the poor and disenfranchised, who he apparently presumes to be something like Dickensian street urchins. I am reasonably positive that guy owns several suits, and simply imagines it suits his Internet persona to pretend he doesn't.

Oh gently caress off with this. Dressing up nice doesn't get peoples' attention. Having 1000 people (wearing whatever they want) respectfully marching together in solidarity does. That's what we did this weekend and we're getting very favorable coverage in local media.

• Locked thread