Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

People on the freeway will get on the regional and often national news. And it gets those iconic shots of crowds of people from the view of a helicopter.

Think of it this way...

The US has a very strong car culture, and the interstate highways are the arteries of commerce. Throwing a wrench in that for an hour or two is a legit way to protest. And the cops know well in advance that you will be there and make sure emergency services get routed around it.

That said, if you already have a big crowd, you could just surround city hall, and spend your time scheming and networking.

the ol' Chris Christie, gets em every time

Pajser posted:

quite honestly and you can tell me im an idiot, but i don't see any other outcome for these protests other than being subverted and ending up being a massive scam as soon as it reaches momentum.

they're like business socials for political activists unless you're cripplingly stupid and try to shut down a city to no clear end because you didn't like how people voted or something. nobody much cares that you protested beyond vague warm fuzzies/'grrr jail the hippies' sentiments that go nowhere but you might have a good time and meet loads of people doing something actually effectual who you'd never run into otherwise

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Koalas March posted:

yeah I'm sure everyone can afford to go out and buy a business suit to protest

that's the most bougie statement I've heard in a long time

These protests are happening because of hate crimes spiking and many people (poc, muslims, women) feel at risk. People are literally scared for their safety, and the safety of their loved ones.

These protests are about civil rights. If you are here and tut-tutting activists now, talking about respectability politics and "Oh my god! the property damage!" You are no better than the racists who told civil rights activists in the 60s to "calm down" and stop being so drat violent and uppity.

If you are more worried about how the protests may inconvenience you than the fact that people are literally being murdered, harassed and threatened because of their race, religion and sex, then you are part the problem.

Do not offer "solutions".

you should go out and get a thrift store business suit so you can get a job one day, if you're anywhere above homeless on the hierarchy of needs you can afford it as an extremely good investment for all sorts of situations where society rewards the respectable-looking

you'll be overdressed for the kind of protest where punk kids who learned about politics from the internet go to get arrested for street cred, but you can probably talk your way into a city council meeting in one.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Nov 14, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

waffles beyond waffles posted:

City Council meetings are open to the public due to open meetings laws. Any taxing body can't close their doors and discuss anything about policy. Executive sessions are used for personnel matters. No suit required!

:ssh:they might go if they think they're getting away with something

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's been a whole longrunning thing of stay-at-home liberals trying to use respectability politics to choke off all political action more radical than voting for Hillary Clinton so insisting protests have a dress code is going to be a nonstarter, but taking deliberate control of your own public presentation is sort of a fundamental political tool to be considered in a discussion about protest strategy, and if your first reaction to the assumption that an adult would own one set of nice clothes is 'check your privilege shitlord' you don't have anything to say to the halls of power or poor folk who need to put forth effort to survive in society.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Al-Saqr posted:

Oh I'm all for wearing suits and stuff, I just know for a fact that people who view it as their deal breaker are loving liars who wouldn't do anything even if every protestor could scrounge up the money to by Armani suits for every single person protesting. Because underneath that suit a the end of the day is someone they don't view as worthy of having their human rights respected.

I mean, how many suits do people need to wear to convince you that sexually assaulting women or having a rabid anti-Semite in the white house is a bad thing, or are these guys really that dense and stupid.

yeah ok this is extremely fair we're on the same page

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A production manager in Hollywood should probably not try to pass himself off as the Lorax of the poor and disenfranchised, who he apparently presumes to be something like Dickensian street urchins. I am reasonably positive that guy owns several suits, and simply imagines it suits his Internet persona to pretend he doesn't.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Big disorganized protests are also lousy with undercover cops so if some rando comes up to you talking about how cool it is to commit crimes, you should go commit crimes with him, stay away from that dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The single most terrifying thing to an administration is a diverse protest. If a protest is all one demographic you can write it off as "pfft, uppity (whatever they are) just don't realize how good they have it." If you can get enough groups on your side then you can squish opposition pretty easily.

But when you suddenly have a poor black guy standing shoulder to shoulder with an upper middle class white professional guy and they're shouting the same message it's time to pay the gently caress attention because things are very, very bad. The thing to take from this particular election, and the last 8 years, is that Americans overall are just sick and god damned tired of how things are going. Trump tapped into that to get himself elected but the problem there is that if he doesn't change anything, or makes things worse, now he's suddenly part of the establishment that he swore to take down.

Aside from that the abhorrent things that racists have been doing over the course of the last year (hate crimes are way, way up) were inspired by his rhetoric. The massive protests cropping up are basically people screaming loudly "we aren't putting up with this poo poo." I really think this is part of why Trump and Friends are toning down some of the promises and platform. Not only is Trump the least popular president elect ever Congress has single-digit approval ratings. Washington just plain can't keep doing what they're doing. Now the Republicans can't even blame Democrats for everything because they're in charge.

They sure can. How much of Obama's foreign and security policy over the last eight years did Democrats take pains to paint as Bush's foreign and security policy?

• Locked thread