Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Metroid Prime: Federation Force is a spinoff title of the Metroid Prime series, and the third game called Metroid Prime on a handheld. The game was developed not by Retro Studios, as the original trilogy was, nor was it developed in-house by Nintendo as Metroid Prime: Hunters was (which you might not have known!), but by a company called Next Level Games, which had done titles such as Super Mario Strikers and the Nintendo Wii game Punch-Out!! So, they’re a trusted Canadian developer with more than a few notches in their belt; if they could do such a wonderful job with Punch-Out!!, surely they could be trusted with the next Metroid game, right?

Well, it turns out…

Metroid Prime: Federation Force was revealed at E3 2015, and the response was overwhelmingly negative. The people were willing to put up with Metroid Prime: Pinball – a game that was clearly tongue-in-cheek and obviously intended to come off more as a side project than something deserving critical scrutiny – but this game was essentially the perfect storm to piss off Metroid fans:

There was no Samus. The gameplay looked cartoonish, starkly contrasting Metroid’s more adult look and themes. The main plot was optionally co-op, which went against the isolation and lone-wolf-ism themes of the series as a whole, and apparently some objectives borderline required co-op. Not only did it barely resemble Metroid, but it just didn’t look fun to play. The last game in the series was Metroid: Other M, released a whopping five years prior, and Nintendo had the gall to follow up that smoking failure with a spin-off? It got so bad that a Change.org petition to get Nintendo to stop development reached 24,110 signatures. The fans would rather have no game at all than a bad one.

Reception on release was average at best, scoring a 65 on Metacritic. It sold only 4,000 copies on its opening weekend, which is considered a colossal failure – loving New Super Mario Bros. 2 did better.

Videos:

Episode 1: Help
Episode 2: Aiuto
Episode 3: Respect
Episode 4: Destroy The Beeper
Episode 5: Zoo Tycoon
Episode 6: Pattern Recognition
Episode 7: Platform Peril
Episode 8: I Didn't Enjoy It
Episode 9: Mistakes Were Made
Episode 10: Can I Not?
Episode 11: I Need That
Episode 12: Pump Up The Jam
Episode 13: Come At Me
Episode 14: I Hope You Die
Episode 15: I'm So Lonely
Episode 16: That's About All You Can Say
Episode 17: All The Time In The World
Episode 18: Everyone Died
Episode 19: Riveting Gameplay
Episode 20: I Am Protected
Episode 21: Good, She's Dead

Another Metroid 2 Remake is, as the title would imply, a remake of Metroid II: Return of Samus. Apparently, those are fairly popular. The game is entirely fan-made and was developed by some dude in his bedroom named Milton Guasti, under the pseudonym DoctorM64. It took ten years to develop, although a lot of that was on-and-off. The game was made in GameMaker and its engine was designed by Guasti’s friend Martin Piecyk. Neither of them had any experience in making a game: Guasti just knew that, after playing Metroid II for the first time, playing the game with modern graphics and an in-game minimap (as opposed to an actual map that came with the game) would be a more immersive experience, and he set out to see that come true.

When Guasti announced the project, he received offers from artists and musicians offering to pitch in and see it come to life. AM2R was a collaborative effort that went through a number of changes and challenges – motivation, primarily, seeing as nobody was getting paid. But, slow and steady won the race, and AM2R was officially released, after two public demos, on August 6th, 2016, coinciding with Metroid’s 30th anniversary.

The game met enormous critical acclaim with freelance reviewers giving it nothing but love and accolades, praising its gameplay; its music; its art direction; the inclusion of new mechanics and features, such as data logs and entries; and just the way that Guasti and his team managed to capture the feel of Metroid. That was important: the game felt like Metroid. It had the graphical integrity and attention of Super Metroid with the pace and tightness of Metroid: Zero Mission, along with a handful of upgrades and changes, all for the better. AM2R was a monumental success, critically speaking, setting the standard for fangames and fan projects forever.

AM2R was downloaded approximately 1.5 million times off its home webpage in the first twenty four hours. It was so popular that Nintendo even acknowledged it, praising the game for its ingenuity, and soon after offered Guasti and Piecyk positions in their American branch.

Except, replace ‘acknowledged’ with ‘damned,’ ‘praising’ with ‘attacking,’ ‘ingenuity’ with ‘infringement,’ and ‘positions in their American branch’ with ‘an ultimatum: take it down or get sued into the dirt.’ AM2R was DMCA’d just one day after its official release. Guasti promised that he would continue to work on updates in private, but Nintendo sent him another DMCA, and that’s that: AM2R is as golden as it will ever get.

AM2R does not run off a modded ROM of any sort: it’s a standalone .exe that requires nothing external to function properly. This being the Internet, nothing is ever truly deleted, and you can easily find the game off Google with some proper searching.

Videos:

Episode 1: Waterlogged
Episode 2: Red Light
Episode 3: A New Challenger
Episode 4: Carpet Bombing
Episode 5: I Am Alive
Episode 6: Cruise Control
Episode 7: Intuition
Episode 8: Are We Dumb?
Episode 9: Oh No, I Died
Episode 10: This Game Is Cute
Episode 11: Mildly Annoying
Episode 12: That Is Your Hell
Episode 13: Good Job, Samus
Episode 14: The End of Samuel
Episode 15: Like A Friggen' Casual
Episode 16: Bad Ending

The LP:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force and Another Metroid 2 Remake were released very close to each other, and were on absolutely opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to content and reception. The two games couldn’t be more contrasted – one is official and bad, the other is unofficial and good, and that’s just one comparison – and it’s a series I love, so, why not kill two birds with one stone? Also, it cost a lot of money to mod my 3DS and I don’t want it to just sit there.

Traditionally, I prefer doing LPs post-commentary, and I prefer doing games that I have at least some modicum of expertise so that I can maybe show the viewers something they might not have gotten their first time around, or maybe I just want to show off or something. This time, both my close friend Olive Branch and I are going in absolutely blind. It’s all news to him and I.

That said, no spoilers, please. Neither of these games will match the travesty that is Metroid: Other M or the brilliance that is Kid Icarus: Uprising, but we still want to see how bad/brilliant it gets for ourselves.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

God. Federation Force wasn't the worst thing in the world, but it's not at all what anyone really wanted out of the series. Like, at all. And then to compound things, AM2R got released and taken down. And it's exactly the sort of thing that fans wanted.

Maybe Federation Force will turn out okay in the end? Maybe? Though I hear it's best played in co-op, so who knows. Never played it, and it's not high up there in games I wanna get.

AM2R *did* get an update though before the whole project got DMCA'd, and got updated to 1.1. Mostly just a bugfix.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
You and Olive Branch were talking about a game telling you about a secret in AM2R. I have played a game that does that, sort of. Emperor's New Groove on PSX had you encounter a cut scene that tells you how to progress, charge into the wall. When you do so, you get the secret indicator and text on the screen. The thing is, you have to go through the wall in order to finish the level but it is still count as a secret for some reason.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

This is beautiful. This is poetry.

It was the best of games. It was the worst of games...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I hope y'all end up liking Federation Force

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Looper posted:

I hope y'all end up liking Federation Force
Hey, if it's good, I'll gladly end up liking it. So far though, I question the decisions made.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Very much looking forward to this. Love AM2R and am quite interested in seeing how bad Federation Force gets. That said,

Maple Leaf posted:

one is official and bad, the other is official and good,

I'm not sure this is quite what you meant to say here.

ThatNateGuy
Oct 15, 2004

"Is that right?"
Slippery Tilde
If, hypothetically, anyone were looking to acquire AM2R, I could theoretically know where to find it.

Hypothetically.

Apropos of nothing: I have platinum and can receive PMs. Isn't that a cool feature?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Augus posted:

Very much looking forward to this. Love AM2R and am quite interested in seeing how bad Federation Force gets. That said,

I'm not sure this is quite what you meant to say here.

Typos are most often made at 5 in the morning, speaking from experience!

ThatNateGuy posted:

If, hypothetically, anyone were looking to acquire AM2R, I could theoretically know where to find it.

Hypothetically.

Apropos of nothing: I have platinum and can receive PMs. Isn't that a cool feature?

Like I said in the OP, AM2R isn't a ROM hack, but an .exe file that requires nothing extra to function properly. Although I'm sure it falls into some kind of legal gray area because of that, I'll err on the side of caution and not provide any links - but, come on, if you Google "AM2R download," it's the first result.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
The whole "feels like a metroid" game aspect of am2r can't be overstated. It's not just that the controls or mechanics play well and are similar, it's that they feel identical to official entries.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

A jargogle posted:

The whole "feels like a metroid" game aspect of am2r can't be overstated. It's not just that the controls or mechanics play well and are similar, it's that they feel identical to official entries.

They almost certainly just ripped the physics straight from Zero Mission and then applied a few tweaks from there. The best change IMO is that if you're facing a wall and hold towards the wall while jumping, you spinjump. In every other 2D Metroid you do a standing jump in that situation, which is useless for walljumping purposes.

(Why yes, I spent 15 minutes trying to walljump up the wall to the right of the landing site when I first started the game)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

Hey, if it's good, I'll gladly end up liking it. So far though, I question the decisions made.

I mean y'all seemed pretty resigned before even starting. I haven't played any of FF either but it looks much more enjoyable than Hunters already

Also sure getting health as a weapon is kinda weird but being able to both spray out pick-ups for yourself and heal your allies in a firefight seems pretty neat

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Looper posted:

I mean y'all seemed pretty resigned before even starting. I haven't played any of FF either but it looks much more enjoyable than Hunters already

Also sure getting health as a weapon is kinda weird but being able to both spray out pick-ups for yourself and heal your allies in a firefight seems pretty neat
You're right that we're already kind of making GBS threads on the game without giving it a chance but at least speaking for myself, my first impression was that this feels less like a Metroid game and more like a generic shooter. The presentation doesn't help matters, but if Maple were playing it with 3 other people and chaos was flying everywhere when we get to missions it could work better.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Olive Branch posted:

You're right that we're already kind of making GBS threads on the game without giving it a chance but at least speaking for myself, my first impression was that this feels less like a Metroid game and more like a generic shooter. The presentation doesn't help matters, but if Maple were playing it with 3 other people and chaos was flying everywhere when we get to missions it could work better.

Last I heard, you own a 3DS, and you like Metroid, and you're a part of my Federation Force LP...

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

Last I heard, you own a 3DS, and you like Metroid, and you're a part of my Federation Force LP...
Listen man, you know you're my bro and I'm here for the ride, but I can't justify dropping 60 dollars on this. Not yet.

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.

Olive Branch posted:

Listen man, you know you're my bro and I'm here for the ride, but I can't justify dropping 60 dollars on this. Not yet.

It's 40 dollars.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Glaric posted:

It's 40 dollars.
That makes it easier to consider but I think I'll let Maple suffer this one on his own, with me watching from the sidelines. :colbert:

(also i got him xcom enemy unknown and he won't play it)

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Olive Branch posted:

That Phillistine!

Side question: is getting a 3ds worthwhile? I'm thinking that it might be fun to play through the 3ds fire emblem(s) and Monster Hunter(s) but I haven't given it much thought.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cathode Raymond posted:

That Phillistine!

Side question: is getting a 3ds worthwhile? I'm thinking that it might be fun to play through the 3ds fire emblem(s) and Monster Hunter(s) but I haven't given it much thought.

It's the best system on the market

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Cathode Raymond posted:

That Phillistine!

The 3DS Fire Emblem games are worth it on their own, honestly. Also, if you can survive the hand torture, Kid Icarus is actually a pretty fun game!

I also enjoy playing Bravely Default despite the characters making increasingly stupid decisions to drive the plot. In fact, that's actually part of the charm at a certain point. "How can you justify doing this stupid thing now?" :allears:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Maple Leaf, I love how your LP brand has become "overlooked games in Nintendo franchises." Some of them are hidden gems like Kid Icarus Uprising (well, outside of the horrific control scheme) and Star Fox Zero. Others are, uh, entries like Other M. Will you do that GBA entry for F-Zero next? It's so drastically unremarkable that it's never been acknowledged by Nintendo since its release, and I just remembered that I own it only after mentioning it in this post.

When you think about it, it's not surprising that Next Level went with the cartoony look for Federation Force. Wii Punch-Out went with the cell-shaded look, and before that they did Mario soccer games, and that's a franchise that has an inherently cartoony style.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Oh boy a Lets play on the complete opposite of what Metroid should be, this'll be a hoot.

At least Other M had some good designs, and memorable if stupid as hell moments, this? this is just boring.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
The Federation tried to bring in the Space Pirates but then they saw the Space Pirates had no concept of safety in their science experiments and the Space Pirates refused to adhere to Space OSHA standards so extermination it is. I for one will miss their tube based technology.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I just couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of that first Federation Force video. It has nothing to do with the LP quality and everything to do with the game quality. Every Metroid game, outside of Other M (appropriately enough), dives you straight into the action. They weaved Prime 1's training area with actual plot-relevant stuff. This is just 20 minutes that makes you ask why you should give a poo poo.

So far I'm thinking this is Nintendo's answer to Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: if they made an entirely new game out of it instead of piggybacking off an established franchise, it wouldn't leave such a bitter taste in the mouths of fans.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Will you do that GBA entry for F-Zero next? It's so drastically unremarkable that it's never been acknowledged by Nintendo since its release, and I just remembered that I own it only after mentioning it in this post.

No, because not only have I never played it myself (although I could, I have the Ambassador program on my 3DS), but because, outside of F-Zero GX, I'm not actually a huge fan of F-Zero, and I only like GX because GX was a great game and not necessarily because it was called F-Zero.

Olive Branch posted:

I'm just waiting to play XCOM as long as it took you to play Mother 3. So, another four years, ish?

FrizzySpizz
Jul 28, 2016
I actually enjoyed Federation Force a fair bit. I think if you ignore the fact that it's supposed to be a Metroid game, you'll find a pretty competent first-person shooter. It's not like the 3DS has many of those in its library. Granted, it's a lot better in co-op than it is solo so YMMV but the combat mechanics and score-attack structure kept me entertained for a good 30 hours or so. The Blast Ball minigame was good fun too (any chance you'll be covering that in the LP?).

Sure, FedForce wasn't the best game ever but I feel like more people would've given a chance if Nintendo didn't decide to slap the Metroid name on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So far I'm thinking this is Nintendo's answer to Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: if they made an entirely new game out of it instead of piggybacking off an established franchise, it wouldn't leave such a bitter taste in the mouths of fans.
the diff. is nuts and bolts is good

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I also have both Federation Force and AM2R, but haven't had the time or motivation to play them (Dark Souls DLC beckons and I barely have the time to play that), so listening to you guys talk about them while writing emails sounds like a decent substitute.

Some of them are hidden gems like Kid Icarus Uprising (well, outside of the horrific control scheme)

For the record, the control scheme in Uprising is perfect. You just had to learn it, which can be a challenge but it's not significantly harder than learning any other control scheme out there.

People also bitched about dual-stick controls in FPS's on consoles when they first came out, because it wasn't mouse+keyboard therefore it sucked. Only after Halo, which was explicatively designed around using dual sticks, did people appreciate them as a viable way to play.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

This is unrelated to Metroid in any fashion, and I hope my incoming pandering doesn't break any rules (namely that it's off-topic), but here goes: I was a beta tester for a game called Mekazoo and the game came out just today. I believe in it as a project and I did an unsolicited promo video for it. If you're itching for a side-scrolling platformer that has a little bit of everything, give it a try and support our indie devs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

For the record, the control scheme in Uprising is perfect. You just had to learn it, which can be a challenge but it's not significantly harder than learning any other control scheme out there.

People also bitched about dual-stick controls in FPS's on consoles when they first came out, because it wasn't mouse+keyboard therefore it sucked. Only after Halo, which was explicatively designed around using dual sticks, did people appreciate them as a viable way to play.

Uprising's controls are good (albeit tricky to learn) but the real problem is how unergonomic the 3DS is to hold imo, especially in mostly one hand

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah the real issue with Uprising is that even after getting used to the controls your hand is always gonna start cramping up after a level or two.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Endorph posted:

the diff. is nuts and bolts is good

Nuts and Bolts has a challenge where the best way to do it is to get out of the car and run to your destination.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I can't finish any more levels in KI:U because I can't hold my 3DS in that position long enough to beat them. The control scheme isn't bad, it's just not user-friendly due to hardware design.

Back on the topic of Federation Force, I played the demo version at a booth, so I had the advantage of playing it with 3 other people. I found it to be a generic 4-player co-op shooter, jumping on the bandwagon a little too late with the Metroid licence stapled on. The boss of the demo level was sloggy as hell, too. It's a shame, because Next Level Games is a solid studio that deserves better than this.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 2: "Aiuto"

Episode 2: "Red Light"

We've figured out OB's weird audio problems since this recording of AM2R, so that shouldn't be an issue again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
man there are a lot of hilarious webcomics to be made about the scale in this game

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It kills me how bad "Croi" looks every time it appears. It looks like a bad edit, with the completely different font. I don't get it at all, why would you do that?

Also you should take a middle road in naming the character. Madame Samuel.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I always figured Samus did just curl up into a literal ball. She's not a normal human after all, having greatly altered physiology from the Chozo.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Well, Federation Force plays like a Metroid Prime game, but doesn't feel like one in any other way. There's no urgency, no looming threat, and it's not nearly as atmospheric. Part of that is due to 3DS limitations, but the cartoony art style doesn't help either. It's like you're playing LEGO Metroid.

At least killing time with the Spider Ball is still fun in AM2R. And the fact that Samus turns into energy when in Morph Ball form puts the famous Space Pirate lore into perspective.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also you should take a middle road in naming the character. Madame Sam.
ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 3: "Respect"

Episode 3: "A New Challenger"

Episodes were late this week because I was running a charity event, and then I passed out for a solid 15 hours after. Schedule should be roughly back on track now!

• Locked thread