Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What out of their stable of first-party IP has Nintendo been executing well on lately? Pokemon?

Better this gen than the last one at least.

Honestly the IP that's probably doing the best right now is F-Zero or Advance Wars.

I know what I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
You're not wrong.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mario's always solid, but that's also their flagship franchise so it has to be.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What out of their stable of first-party IP has Nintendo been executing well on lately? Pokemon? I guess Link Between Worlds was pretty good; certainly a bright spot in the sea of mediocrity that modern Zeldas have become.

Ephraim225 posted:

Better this gen than the last one at least.

Honestly the IP that's probably doing the best right now is F-Zero or Advance Wars.

I know what I said.

Kirby: Planet Robobot was the best game they put out last year. :colbert:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 18, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Kirby games are always good, but people forget about them because they're either portable console releases or put in at the very end of a home console's lifespan. The latter case is a tradition going back to the NES, and the only console that didn't happen with was Gamecube. Even Wii U got a Kirby game in 2015.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Kirby games are always good, but people forget about them because they're either portable console releases or put in at the very end of a home console's lifespan. The latter case is a tradition going back to the NES, and the only console that didn't happen with was Gamecube. Even Wii U got a Kirby game in 2015.

Actually the Gamecube did get a Kirby game towards the end, Kirby's Air Ride (which is also probably the only game in the franchise I haven't actually played, maybe it'll get a Virtual Console release one day).

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
So, someone fixed Other M. I thought it might be appreciated to see something else people have done to correct Nintendo's mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW-XeKDRxPM

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

Actually the Gamecube did get a Kirby game towards the end, Kirby's Air Ride (which is also probably the only game in the franchise I haven't actually played, maybe it'll get a Virtual Console release one day).
Air Ride came out in 2003 and wasn't a platformer. I do wish Nintendo would make more non-platformer Kirby games, though. Stuff like Air Ride, Pinball Land, or Block Ball.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Ride came out in 2003 and wasn't a platformer. I do wish Nintendo would make more non-platformer Kirby games, though. Stuff like Air Ride, Pinball Land, or Block Ball.

True, but it was still the only Kirby game the Gamecube got (kind of like how the Wii U only got Rainbow Curse). There was going to be a standard Kirby platfomer for the Gamecube originally but then it went through a lot of development hell and was eventually retooled and released as Kirby's Return to Dreamland on the Wii.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Shei-kun posted:

So, someone fixed Other M. I thought it might be appreciated to see something else people have done to correct Nintendo's mistakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW-XeKDRxPM
This is great. This is what should've been.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 10: "Can I Not?"

Episode 10: "This Game Is Cute"

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This level of Fed Force looked like it would be fun to play. It's just a good old fashioned shooting gallery/zerg rush, but it doesn't seem bad.

This is the area in AM2R that DoctorM64 really went all out and let his creativity shine. Notice how the game gave you a tutorial on how to use the energy balls without any annoying popups. Also, you can backtrack now, but the game is going to hit you over the head with when it's the best time to backtrack.

Edit: removed a fragment from a thought I decided not to share.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 22, 2017

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I was actually meaning to say that the vertical room you went back to with the Space Jump to get a missile pack was also a tutorial; it was meant to show you that blocks that crumble when you go over them will stay intact if you attach to them with the spider ball. The crumbling blocks on the wall at the bottom are intended to force you to spider ball to get to the first platform, demonstrating that you can also use the spider ball to stay on the single blocks and bomb-jump between them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zandar posted:

I was actually meaning to say that the vertical room you went back to with the Space Jump to get a missile pack was also a tutorial; it was meant to show you that blocks that crumble when you go over them will stay intact if you attach to them with the spider ball. The crumbling blocks on the wall at the bottom are intended to force you to spider ball to get to the first platform, demonstrating that you can also use the spider ball to stay on the single blocks and bomb-jump between them.

I never learned that trick, I just bomb jumped my way up there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The gameplay for Federation Force looks like it's more fitting for a Star Fox game than a Metroid game.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 11: "I Need That"

Episode 11: "Mildly Annoying"

The audio in this MP:FF episode and the next came out choppy and missing, so I filled the audio with music where appropriate.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

What's amazing about this part of AM2R is that there is no source material here, this entire facility is completely original content. And yet it channels the feel of Metroid so perfectly and is filled with neat ideas and gimmicks and clever level design.

The Chozo Areas were pretty much all developed in the order they fall in the game, so you can see the level design evolving over the years as Guasti becomes a more experienced designer, expanding on the original game more and more.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And the morph ball transport system is what I was talking about when I said that the game will hit you over the head with when it's time to backtrack.

Good job on the shinespark puzzle, it seems to have thrown a bunch of people. There's also some places in the hallways that you're now able to deal with.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I went to a non-Gamestop video game store here in NYC and they were selling Federation Force for $40. I decided "gently caress that noise" and instead bought Smash Bros. for $10 cheaper. Next time I'll get Majora's Mask 3D, which was selling for $35. I'm not sure if that will still be there when I come back with enough saved-up money, but I know that MP:FF will.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I went to a non-Gamestop video game store here in NYC and they were selling Federation Force for $40. I decided "gently caress that noise" and instead bought Smash Bros. for $10 cheaper. Next time I'll get Majora's Mask 3D, which was selling for $35. I'm not sure if that will still be there when I come back with enough saved-up money, but I know that MP:FF will.

Someone showed me a photo not too long ago of Other M retailing for $80 new. The assumption - which probably isn't the truth - is that they're trying to keep us from playing these awful games by marking up their price. Last I checked, No Man's Sky is still retailing for full price, too.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
According to what may or may not be STDH, some stores mark up lovely unsellable games as thief bait. (Acts of Gord)

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 12: "Pump Up The Jam"

Episode 12: "That Is Your Hell"

I couldn't have synced the music in the MP:FF video better if I tried.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In the original Metroid 2, the Ice Beam was the first beam you got and the third overall item you got after Bombs and the Spider Ball. To my knowledge, it's never been the last beam you get in any given Metroid game (I don't really count the Omega Metroid fight in Fusion). I like how the creator worked it in as your last beam in AM2R. It's also far less important for exploration here than in other 2D Metroid games, since by now you don't need to step on enemies to get to hard-to-reach areas.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
That pod where you get the Gravity Suit felt reminiscent of the way you got your suit upgraded in Dead Space.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

In the original Metroid 2, the Ice Beam was the first beam you got and the third overall item you got after Bombs and the Spider Ball. To my knowledge, it's never been the last beam you get in any given Metroid game (I don't really count the Omega Metroid fight in Fusion). I like how the creator worked it in as your last beam in AM2R. It's also far less important for exploration here than in other 2D Metroid games, since by now you don't need to step on enemies to get to hard-to-reach areas.

Also the Wave Beam and the Ice Beam couldn't be equipped simultaneously. If you picked up one, it overwrote the other. For the most part, the game expected you to have the Wave Beam for most of the time, and it gives you periodic chances to switch, including one pretty much chronologically about where they are now.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Serifina posted:

Also the Wave Beam and the Ice Beam couldn't be equipped simultaneously. If you picked up one, it overwrote the other. For the most part, the game expected you to have the Wave Beam for most of the time, and it gives you periodic chances to switch, including one pretty much chronologically about where they are now.
I think there's only one area where you can switch, or at least one that has access to all of the beams. It's that long vertical room in the last area with a large amount of Metroids. I used the Plasma Beam up until the end, where Metroid 2 mercifully gives you a small room to pick up the Ice Beam.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
At this point, I'm pretty sure you have access to all the items in previous areas in AM2R.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Serifina posted:

I've never played Metroid 2, so I'd really like to see a comparison of it to this game - like how much new/extra stuff is in AM2R, and how much is still recognizable from the original?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

I've never played Metroid 2, so I'd really like to see a comparison of it to this game - like how much new/extra stuff is in AM2R, and how much is still recognizable from the original?

Area layouts are mostly fairly similar to Metroid 2, but with notable deviations. In particular, everything related to the Science Team, the Marines, and the entire area with the Gravity Suit (including the pneumatic tube backtracking system) was invented out of whole cloth, as was the Power Bomb area. Other areas were fleshed out, so while the overall route might look fairly similar, the details of how that route is navigated are starkly different. So stuff like speed booster puzzles, needing to knock balls into slots, areas that cut out your ability to fire, the area and enemy logs, the cutscenes, etc. are all new. Finally, Metroid 2 had IIRC 6 or maybe 7 kinds of boss fight -- the various Metroids (alpha/beta/gamma/zeta/omega), the final boss, and some random jerk that was guarding the...Spring Ball? All other bosses in AM2R are new additions, and the actual details of all bosses are different too (for one thing, all the various Metroids could fly in M2, and you only ever fought one at a time).

If you want to get a sense of what Metroid 2 was like, the 100% TAS isn't an unreasonable place to look; it shows basically all of the game, albeit it skips the normal beam upgrades in favor of touching each one once at the end of the game. I always thought that was kind of dumb but it's ~faster~ so whatever. Not like the beams are really used that much anyway.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
MeccaPrime also did a normal run: http://lparchive.org/Metroid-II/

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Now that you've fought Serris, I can go back to my point comparing it to the fish you fought in Federation Force. In both cases, you create your own weak points on it. Which battle was better? Speaking of which though, you were supposed to shoot it with missiles after freezing it (it is a Metroid game after all) to reveal its weakpoints.

Like other people have said, you're now fully able to get all the items from previous areas. In fact, almost all items are behind you.

This is a guide of the amount of items in each area that you have left to find.

Behind you:
Area 1: 2 items
Area 2: 3 items
Area 3: 1 items
Area 4: 1 items
Bonus Area: They're not hidden.

Ahead:
Hell: You'll find them. They're not hidden.

Carbon dioxide posted:

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only comparison between the two. In an alternate world where I wasn't already committed to multiple projects and I could do decent commentary, I'd love to do a side-by-side LP of Metroid 2 and AM2R. Barring that, I'd like to watch one. Area 5 (the water area Maple Leaf just finished), and the thing I have spoilered above is completely new. Power bombs, gravity suit, speed booster, and super missile are new, as well as the puzzles that utilize them. The transport system is completely new, as well as backtracking in general. Metroid 2 was very linear. Also, the room with the research team was sort of new. DoctorM64 modified an existing room from Metroid 2 to make that, but the fact that there was a research team came from the instruction manual.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 13: "Come At Me"

Episode 13: "Good Job, Samus"

According to the Metroid fan-wiki, Genesis was an enemy that appeared in Fusion, in a single room, wasn't a prominent feature and wasn't directly named, and you didn't fight it directly. It's an interesting enemy to be made into a boss!

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Sombra isn't bad. Particularly now that they buffed her hack. (Anyway yeah I play Overwatch. I'm so-so at best, but it's a fun game.)

The genesis was interesting. I haven't been to that area! I clearly missed stuff entirely while playing and should go back and explore more. (Not a surpise, since I only got like an 80-something collection rate on my first playthrough.)

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Nearly the whole Thoth area is a throwback to Fusion. The cave where you ran over that poor frog is where Samus got infected by the X parasite in the opening of Fusion. The interior of the Thoth itself resembles the main station areas in Fusion. Lastly, Genesis is an enemy from Fusion, who if I remember correctly was only ever placed in unreachable cramped vents, solely to drop acid on your head.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

I didn't make the connection at all the whole time, but I did think to myself that the room with the Metroids looked kind of similar to the Metroid containment area in Fusion. It's things like that that really tell you this was a labour of love.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
While I was looking up just what Genesis was in Fusion, I also looked at the wiki's AM2R article and

Wikitroid posted:

[...]there is a room with three tanks, containing the brain of the B.O.X. Security Robot, an Evir, and a section of Nightmare's arm.

So, not Metroids. :v:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Maybe Genesis hunted and killed everyone on the ship like the titular creature in Alien. Seeing as the concept of Metroid is inspired by that movie (Ridley was given that name because of Ridley Scott, the director), I wouldn't put it past the creator as an intentional nod.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Name for the computer? Eve Malkovna

It really bugs me that you started off the AM2R episode by saying that there was a door in area 1 that you could now unlock with one of the energy balls, and then you proceeded to skip that. Anyway, updated list.

Behind you:
Area 1: 1 items
Area 2: 3 items
Area 3: Complete!
Area 4: 1 items
GFS Thoth: Complete!

Ahead:
Hell: You'll find them. They're not hidden.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 12, 2017

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

On the flip side, I was watching the Federation Force episode and was dozing off during it. I didn't fall asleep, but I didn't remember the second half of things in the video. I guess I could watch it again, but why bother? It's just not interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i haven't watched a Fed Force episode since quiting 10 minutes into the one where he was baby-sitting a mine cart

AM2R seems good tho, and i liked the fusion reference, since fusion is one of my fav games

• Locked thread