Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
It's funny how many people are saying they are so off-put by Fed Force that they're posting in my thread to tell me they aren't watching it, hah.

I'mma keep doing it tho, the world needs to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey man there's still another half of the thread that people are probably watching because it's a game that's really really good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

You're doing a good service, Maple Leaf. It's not your fault FF is a big ol' pile of "meh."

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I'm trying to keep watching Federation Force, but since after the minecart thing, it is a lot harder to even listen to it in the background.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
I watch cause I'm curious the layout of the game as an idea for what Nintendo plans to do with the IP. It's obvious they intended for this to be multiplayer, and may be as a way to protect it from it's "creator". There's very little Samus, and it feels like an they wanted you to reply each stage over and over to get all the goodies. Are the MODs on each stage set, or are they pulled from a pool?

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I finished AM2R a few weeks ago and I've seen quite a few of the ten (I'm assuming ten since I ended with 90% collection) items I missed get picked up by Maple Leaf. I don't think I'll try to get 100% though since there was one item in particular shown off a few videos ago that I kept botching the sequence for over and over (open a door in area 1(?), store a speed boost, walk off a platform, fly through the opened door, store the boost again, drop a power bomb, then use the boost again AFTER the bomb has cleared the way to the speed booster blocks).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

By the way, I really hate the soundtrack in Federation Force. Like Other M it just uses really generic orchestra strings to communicate the presence of tension. Orchestrated music was a terrible idea for Metroid. The games in the past had amazing music that felt alien and atmospheric while also having distinct melodies. Super Metroid and the Prime games just have incredible tunes that draw you into the game world. AM2R also has amazing music, with both remixes and original compositions that work incredibly well. Generic horror movie strings? Nope, don't do anything for me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I said this in a previous post, but Federation Force seems more fitting for Star Fox than for Metroid. Riding around in some kind of robotic vehicle, doing different missions, and getting medals for completing levels well enough is right up that series's alley.

I can't even hear the music for FF in the videos so I can't comment on it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 14: "I Hope You Die"

Episode 14: "The End of Samuel"

Yes, I figure out the Shinespark puzzle, and yes, I'm a dumb rear end in a top hat

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

drat you for beating the first Omega Metroid on your first try! :argh:

Omegas are rough, but fighting them is mostly just being accurate with your missiles, something that I kept messing up a lot. Instead, I'd waste a bunch of missiles and eat a ton of damage when they trap me in the corner.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Omegas are a lot easier than Zetas in my experience; they have more predictable movement patterns, longer windups on their attacks, and you can hit them anytime as opposed to during specific parts of their attack cycle. They just punish mistakes more heavily than Zetas do.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Omegas being easier than Zetas was something that was true for me as well, both in the original game and in AM2R. Zetas are more maneuverable and harder to hit.

Also, re: ice beam vs Super Missiles killing the Omega, in Fusion, Super Missiles were just an upgrade to your original missile (doing 3x damage but ALL missiles were Supered) while here they're a separate stock and do 5x. The decision to make the Ice Beam the only thing to damage the Omega in Fusion was actually a bit weird, and could be attributed to the forced growth cycle the researchers had been putting the Metroids through. Note the difference in appearance - the Omega in Fusion was armored all over, while in AM2R, the Omega kept the distinctive green orb). Of worth noting, the original Metroid 2 design does appear to lose the orb and be more armored.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have to say, the beetle was a better boss than this guardian.

AM2R has plenty of shortcuts, that speedboost puzzle that was driving you nuts was just another one of those shortcuts. I was almost shouting at the screen for you to boost in that first room, but at least you got it at the end. I highly recommend looking at a 6% speedrun of AM2R at some point, they show off all the tricks that can be done to blast through the game.

Also, since it's obvious that you'll finish AM2R before FF, will you do a post-game to try finding the remaining items, without looking at a map?

Behind you:
Area 1: 1 items
Area 2: 3 items
Area 4: 1 items

Ahead:
Nothing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So at this point, it looks like AM2R is done with introducing new areas and is back to following the path of the original Metroid 2. That nest area has the same texture as the last area before the final boss in Metroid 2, and it also exclusively has Omega Metroids. I can't hear the music in the video, but in Metroid 2, this is the music that plays in the nest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhFqDQAAsfQ

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
In my opinion Omegas were always easier than Zetas, but their health was nerfed quite a bit in 1.1 so now they're even easier for some reason. Hitting the weak spot in the back to deal extra damage isn't that difficult either.

Also, I believe the Rescue Team was a cheeky little nod to Federation Force with those red, blue, green and yellow suits :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Many posted:

Omega's are easier than Zetas

Yeah, this. Probably doesn't help that I bumblefucked my way into fighting my first Zeta in the dark before powering up the Tower.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
I had a hard time with the Omega until I figured out that at a certain range it will always use the flame breath over anything else. After that it was a matter of waiting for the breath to end, running in to fire off a super missile, backing off to both dodge a swipe and to get back to the sweet spot range-wise, then waiting for the Omega to spit out another flame that barely didn't have enough range to hit me.

Then again I played through on easy difficulty (I'm not nearly as good at Metroid games as I used to be), so maybe the enemy AI is dumbed down a bit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I specifically remember that Omegas can be baited into a predictable loop if you stand with your back to the wall. It does require you to be able to consistently spacejump in the corner of the room to avoid some of their attacks, but it makes the fights a lot more methodical. It's helpful to realize that if they get you pinned in the corner, they'll back off to give you some space; it's easy to assume they'd be happy to just contact-damage you to death, but that's not the case.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

General Revil posted:

Also, since it's obvious that you'll finish AM2R before FF, will you do a post-game to try finding the remaining items, without looking at a map?

I know I said this playthrough wasn't going to be a 100% run and just a casual playthrough, but we're so close to 100% that, gently caress it, might as well before the final boss.

Someone on Youtube PM'd me to give me a hint, to check the breeding grounds in area 2 again, so that should help.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Maple Leaf posted:

I know I said this playthrough wasn't going to be a 100% run and just a casual playthrough, but we're so close to 100% that, gently caress it, might as well before the final boss.

1.1 added a warp pipe near the beginning of the final area so you'll probably want to take that one instead of walking all the way back, twice.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
The whole Nest area and the parts leading up to it are really somewhat daring in terms of game design. Just a series of straight corridors with a few token enemies that pretty much only exist to make clear that by this point, the only thing on this entire planet that can even come close to being a threat to you is the most developed form of the creature at the absolute top of the local food chain. It's definitely putting your late-game invincibility to good use. I believe the only Metroid game that does something similar is Zero Mission, where you can just blast through the entire Space Pirate mothership after getting your Power Suit back.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
According to the Metroid wiki article on AM2R

"The four soldiers fighting the first Omega Metroid have colored armorsuits, which are a subtle nod to the titular characters of Federation Force."

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I'm going to be honest, this is the part where the game really started to lose a lot of the goodwill it built up over the course of the game. The Omega Metroid kicked my rear end over and over, and the run back to the boss is so long and tedious that I nearly dropped the game there. It really kind of soured the rest of the game for me.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Tuskin38 posted:

"The four soldiers fighting the first Omega Metroid have colored armorsuits, which are a subtle nod to the titular characters of Federation Force."

The green one's even using a big gently caress-off plasma cannon like Anthony, haha

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

As far as I'm concerned the Federation Force being brutally slaughtered by an Omega is canon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tuskin38 posted:

I guess that really was the end of Samuel :v: It takes a real hardcore Metroid fan to put in a nod to Federation Force. Kudos to the creator.

Speaking of which, the Super Mario Bros. 2 boss Maple Leaf was talking about was Triclyde.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 18, 2017

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's kind of weird how chatty Samus apparently is in Federation Force. Constantly talking with the Federation Marines, sending them intel and stuff. I don't recall her constantly checking in during any of the other Metroid games. Except maybe Other M, I guess.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xenoveritas posted:

It's kind of weird how chatty Samus apparently is in Federation Force. Constantly talking with the Federation Marines, sending them intel and stuff. I don't recall her constantly checking in during any of the other Metroid games. Except maybe Other M, I guess.

She was constantly checked in on in Prime 3, which was much more handholdy than the prior two games.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

In Fusion she didn't really have a choice.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

LP is on hold. Long story short, the LP curse got me good.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Nice. AM2R was practically a video or two away from being done, too.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gimbal lock posted:

Nice. AM2R was practically a video or two away from being done, too.

That's the most fitting time for an LP curse to strike.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Maple Leaf posted:

LP is on hold. Long story short, the LP curse got me good.
I was gonna ask "then why are you LPing 'Night in the Woods,'" but I realized that Olive Branch was doing that and not you.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 15: "I'm So Lonely"

Episode 15: "Like A Friggen' Casual"

Back on track! My audio commentary for Federation Force is going to sound funny for this recording (so, this episode and the next), and sometimes I might go totally quiet, but whatever, FF isn't worth the extra effort to try and fix.

Maple Leaf fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 1, 2017

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

That speed boost puzzle in Area 1 took me way longer than I'd like to admit, but it's a good puzzle. I do really like how there's a bunch of various tells in the background/tileset for some speed booster puzzles or for puzzles like that super missile barricade, that you could overlook at a first glance, but if you look back at it, you can recognize that they're hints for getting the item.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
A small part of me died when you walked past those unfilled map squares in Area 2 and didn't fill them in.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Currently, the any% record is 49m 14s in-game time by Naatiska and the 100% record is 1h 07m 40s by john_unfil. The whole term any% is defined as the fastest way to beat the game so, just as you thought, there's no such thing as a category faster than any%.

And yeah, AM2R's runs are pretty insane, I really recommend checking them out. It's just speed boosting everywhere, not even really breaking sequence since there's not much unintentional to break.

Speaking of speed boosting, when you're doing a shinespark, there's a difference in the initial height depending on if you just tap the jump button or hold it. It's why you were failing the ballspark in the area 1 puzzle at first, you were jumping too high and missing the first slope.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This FF mission was nowhere near as bad as the previous minecart one. At least it move by itself and you can shoot while moving it. Also, I have a soft spot for rail shooters.

Good job on getting all the items in AM2R. I'm looking forward to the grand conclusion. Lastly, Revil is pronounced with a short e. It's Reh-vil, not Ree-vil. Thanks for the shoutout.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Welcome back, I wasn't expecting such a quick return. I like watching speed runs, people do some impressive stuff in them. I liked the AGDQ race for the Donkey Kong Country trilogy. They only play the Japanese version for DKC3 because there's an exploit for Bleak that can only be achieved on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Falathrim posted:

A small part of me died when you walked past those unfilled map squares in Area 2 and didn't fill them in.

Yeah holy crap, 100% map completion except for those 2 squares and you walked right by them and didn't quickly fill them in and you're recording for a forum full of OCD people and AAAAAARGH.

• Locked thread