Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah holy crap, 100% map completion except for those 2 squares and you walked right by them and didn't quickly fill them in and you're recording for a forum full of OCD people and AAAAAARGH.

To be fair there are still a few hidden map squares anyway :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Falathrim posted:

A small part of me died when you walked past those unfilled map squares in Area 2 and didn't fill them in.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah holy crap, 100% map completion except for those 2 squares and you walked right by them and didn't quickly fill them in and you're recording for a forum full of OCD people and AAAAAARGH.

We can say that I did it on purpose and that I'm the bad guy.

Episode 16: "That's About All You Can Say"

Episode 16: "Bad Ending"

And there we have it! AM2R, with 100% completion. Olive Branch and I said about everything we felt needed saying during the credits sequence. This was an amazing game and I feel richer for the experience, and I can't wait to play it again on my own time.

We've since finished Federation Force, so I'll be uploading its videos a lot more frequently now that AM2R is finished. Unlike AM2R, it's not worth trying to stretch out the "experience" of Federation Force.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
The utter disappointment in your voice in the FedForce video is heartbreaking and hilarious.

I love the final Queen metroid design, and the insinuation that the metroid race is the result of some weird Chozo bio-engineering. So many questions to be answered, hopefully when Nintendo gets it's head out of it's rear end.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
:hfive:

Excellent LP of an excellent game. There's only one thing I can complain about in AM2R and it's the tiniest thing ever.

The original Metroid 2 did in fact have the larval-stage Metroids at the end of the game. However, in the original game, you got there while the Metroid counter was at zero. As you entered the area, it suddenly jumped to six, implying more were hatching. AM2R just had you enter with the counter at nine and there they all were. Of course AM2R counts "the baby" on the counter, which the original didn't, so I suppose that makes up for it.

The sequence with "the baby" eating the crystals was also in the original game. Not sure why that was there. Parental bonding time?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That last part was done a bit differently in the original Game Boy version. After you beat the last Omega Metroids, your Metroid counter will be at 1. But when you take the Morph Ball tunnel underneath the hatchling's egg, the counter goes up to 6, and you have to fight the larval Metroids, one by one, until the Queen Metroid's lair. There's also a destroyed Chozo statue in that area, but it's in a separate alcove and contains the Ice Beam, since you can't combine beams n Metroid 2. The Queen Metroid fight is harder, since you don't have Super Missiles, the balls of whatever she shoots out don't drop pickups, you have to use a lot of missiles to kill her, and you only have 5 Energy Tanks maximum. But the damage she dishes out is toned down, and since there are no Power Bombs, she dies after barraging her with Missiles.

And that last part is unchanged from the Game Boy original: the hatchling destroys the crystals that block your path.

Edit: partially beaten. And if the Pokemon Uranium thread was right, copyright law states that if a given company doesn't make a good faith effort to go after infringement on their property, they lose the rights. So Nintendo had to do what they did, though that came at the cost of a great fan project. They really should have hired the guy who made it, though. The entire reason why they punted Federation Force to Next Level Games is because Nintendo doesn't care about making Metroid themselves anymore, and they're not letting Sakamoto touch the IP anymore, for obvious reasons. If it was done correctly, a la Retro with Metroid Prime, this could have been a shot in the arm. But, obviously, it wasn't.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 3, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Also, man that changing background is so drat pretty. they did a great job on the music and artwork for this game. :allears:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RedMagus posted:

I love the final Queen metroid design, and the insinuation that the metroid race is the result of some weird Chozo bio-engineering. So many questions to be answered, hopefully when Nintendo gets it's head out of it's rear end.

This was explicitly stated IIRC in either Fusion or one of the Primes -- the Chozo made the Metroids to keep the X parasites under control.

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

The surprise larvae definitely served a gameplay purpose in the original, particularly due to the differences in pickup placement. You've probably got the plasma beam at that point, and you have no idea that the game is going to throw larvae at you. So when you're attacked with no defense, it's a pretty big ohshit moment. The game places an ice beam powerup in the final area, but you need to flee through a bunch of larvae to get to it.

The original queen also took 4.6 squillion missiles to kill (and didn't drop powerups for you), but while you didn't have powerbombs, you could kill her with conventional bombs if you let her swallow you.

Thanks for doing this LP!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It's pretty fortunate that AM2R turned out as well as it did. Another thing that was talked about in the Pokemon Uranium thread was how so many fan-made games are terrible. They're made by people that have mastered the base game and just end up making the game harder, and they're made for like-minded fans. It's hard for casual fans of the game to pick them up and enjoy it. But the guy who made AM2R whose name I keep forgetting didn't do that- he knew what made the 2D Metroids fun and did his best to recreate it.

As for Federation Force, it's a bit sad to hear you say that it came about as a result of what the creators thought would do well. Next Level also made the Wii version of Punch-Out, and they knew what made the NES version great. They didn't deviate from the formula, and they added some new challenges and twists to it. I think it's one of the best games on the system, and it's overlooked by fans. So it's puzzling to see them completely whiff on FF.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really love how they pulled off the aesthetics of the final area and the Queen fight. I think the last third of the game is lacking a layer of polish though. It never got to be updated and fine-tuned based on fan feedback much, unlike the rest of the game. Serris was a boss I really thought needed to be tuned more because I basically just steamrolled him without thinking the first time I played and ended up being really underwhelmed by the fight. Unfortunately the DMC takedown kept stuff like that from happening, but the game is still really awesome overall and finishing of the Queen is very satisfying.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for playing through this great fan game. It was an interesting and fun journey.

I was really expecting though that that one locked-down transporter tube in the transporter hub would unlock or serve as an exit at some point. Does it really not do anything? Does it unlock post-game? Was it intended for something in a later version that was never made?

Also, I found a gallery of the artwork Azima Khan did for this game. It includes all three ending pictures and a few other gems, in case you're interested.
http://imgur.com/gallery/mHHTV

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

You pretty much got everything, but you missed something with the very last bit of the Queen fight. When the Queen catches you in her mouth, you can shoot her dead and damage her, and if you do, she explodes anticlimactically, as in the video.

But if you go right into her stomach and THEN drop a power bomb, then she explodes with a unique animation. It's really satisfying to do.

Still, n'thing the sentiment. AM2R was just an absolute joy to play with all these things that it gets right. It's not the greatest Metroid game, and yeah, it's a bit linear thanks to the fact that it follows Metroid 2's formula, and maybe some of the last areas could have gotten more feedback and polish to make it better, but all things considered, it's still fantastic. Thanks for showing off in this fantastic game, and good luck with Federation Force.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice to see AM2R done. I want to point out that there are two ways to kill the Queen Metroid. Power bomb or missile to the mouth (what you did), or power bomb while in her belly. The second one is much more gruesome. You should try it out.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Edit: partially beaten. And if the Pokemon Uranium thread was right, copyright law states that if a given company doesn't make a good faith effort to go after infringement on their property, they lose the rights. So Nintendo had to do what they did, though that came at the cost of a great fan project. They really should have hired the guy who made it, though.

This is actually not true. This is true for Trademarks. If a company allows its trademarks to be misused, then they can lose the trademark. Copyright has not such restriction. A copyright may be selectively enforced and not dilute the copyright-holder ownership of the copyright.

Edit: There are 6% speedruns of the game, so it's not true that you can't skip stuff. Also, Milton said that future versions were supposed to include ways of sequence breaking.

Edit 2: There are two more ending images. Mid-ending is for finishing in 2-4 hours, and best ending is under 2 hours.

General Revil fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 4, 2017

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
So, that last Chozo Statue, the destroyed one - it's there in the original game, too, but it's holding an Ice Beam upgrade for you to swap to, because otherwise the metroids coming up are unkillable, since the original game swapped beams instead of stacking them.

Edited to add: The sequence with the crystals was also in the original. The baby metroid's pathing was a lot worse but it was still the case.

Serifina fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 4, 2017

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Edit: partially beaten. And if the Pokemon Uranium thread was right, copyright law states that if a given company doesn't make a good faith effort to go after infringement on their property, they lose the rights. So Nintendo had to do what they did, though that came at the cost of a great fan project.

My understanding is that this is kinda true for TRADEMARKS, but not copyright. You can lose a trademark because you don't police it well enough, and even if you do, the public can MAKE you lose the trademark by "genericing" the term, making it a normal part of the English language that you are no longer allowed to have exclusive right to (such as Thermos). But losing the trademark in this way doesn't mean you have to stop using it, it just means you can't prevent someone ELSE from using it. And that's what companies really want to do, prevent other people from using their stuff, because monopolies are theoretically good money.

But copyright is yours pretty much forever, regardless of what you do or don't do, thanks to Bono and Disney's lobbying efforts. They flex their copyright muscles because they CAN, not because they have to. They could let AM2R exist, knowingly and blatantly, and then 5 years later send a cease and desist because they feel like it. Or they could refrain from doing so, and still hold their copyrights on everything they own. It's entirely up to them.

e;FB!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

They really should have hired the guy who made it, though

why, cause he made a good fan-game? cause that is a tenuous reason to hire someone to a team without knowing anything about them other then that

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

why, cause he made a good fan-game? cause that is a tenuous reason to hire someone to a team without knowing anything about them other then that

Sega did just that for their latest Sonic game, so it wouldn't be unprecedented.

(I mean of course you'd want to get to know the guy and everything, they're not that crazy.)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

True, that's why job interviews exist. He knows more about what makes Metroid good than what Nintendo's last two attempts have shown.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
AM2R is amazing. As others have mentioned, I thought the loss of the counter going back up in the last area was a missed opportunity. I was disappointed in the Omega Nest compared to the original game. In the original that area is really, really hard even with all the upgrades because save points don't restore everything. It's a long slog to get there and each Omega is a huge resource drain. The save point is extremely out of the way so forget going back to save. Enemies are few and far between so pickups are hard to come by. Overall it achieves the feeling of being totally isolated and up against a horrible menace much better than AM2R did.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

cirus posted:

It's a long slog to get there and each Omega is a huge resource drain. The save point is extremely out of the way so forget going back to save. Enemies are few and far between so pickups are hard to come by.

"Don't play the original Metroid 2."

Okay.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

magikid posted:

"Don't play the original Metroid 2."

Okay.

Eh, it's hard the first time until you learn how to fight the Omegas. I beat the game in 1:19 when I was 10 so it's really not that bad.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 17: "All The Time In The World"

We can't leave the job half-finished, no matter how much we want to.

More audio issues: you might sometimes hear different game audio in different areas, or one of us holding what seems like a completely different conversation. I silenced all the issues I found but some inevitably slipped through the cracks. We'll fight through this one way or another.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope the secret ending isn't what I think it is.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

I hope the secret ending isn't what I think it is.

Hopefully it's Zero Suit Samuel Aron.

Also, according to Google, the collective nouns for jellyfish are either "a fluther" or "a smack". "There was a whole smack of Metroids in that research base!"

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 18: "Everyone Died"

War ain't got time for rules

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cloud Potato posted:

Hopefully it's Zero Suit Samuel Aron.

Also, according to Google, the collective nouns for jellyfish are either "a fluther" or "a smack". "There was a whole smack of Metroids in that research base!"

I think the collective noun for jellies should be a mold.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
So instead of letting you do something worthwhile for once and actually liberate the Pirate HQ yourself. It's decided that you are better served protecting a large drill for about 10 minutes and let a nuke do the job.
Honestly I don't know what to make of that.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

At least "protect the stationary thing" is less horrible than "protect and move the garbage truck on rails" missions.

I made it through over half of this one, so I salute you for actually playing through all of it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
No wonder Samus went rogue. They could have sent her in, but no, they'd rather detonate a nuke underground.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

They ripped off the plot to Armageddon to destroy a Space Pirate base.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 19: "Riveting Gameplay"

A twofer for this episode, to help speed this garbage along. Good news, though, there are only two episodes left!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

We're three levels away from the end as we get into this episode and I'm still not entirely sure what the imminent threat is in Federation Force. That's not good in a game that's explicitly telling you the plot, and certainly not in a series where you can normally ascertain the plot with little to no words from other characters.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 20: "I Am Protected"

I know it's hard to accept, but there's only one video left. Whatever shall we do

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

One more video till freedom.

You know, Metroid Prime Hunters was janky and pretty linear at times, but it was a lot better than this game. Federation Force seems to be at the lower end of just okay, which makes it even more disappointing.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Hunters had an amazing multiplayer, before hackers ruined it for everyone. Samus was my main and my bae; nothing like a few homing Super Missiles and finishing with a hit-and-run Boost Ball. Single player was pretty average but you didn't play that game for single player.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Finally, the plot gives us something menacing. They mentioned this thing a couple of times but I completely forgot about it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 21: "Good, She's Dead"

And thus concludes our double feature of Metroid Prime: Federation Force and AM2R. Welcome to the future of Metroid, ladies and gentlemen.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

That was the final boss? Really? They took a decent base concept, and instead of going for the simpler and more interesting idea of what would basically be the equivalent of a rival fight, like Dark Samus from Prime 2 and 3, we get this.

I'm just really disappointed that they could have had an alright spinoff on their hands, and instead it's just not very good at all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was willing to write Federation Force off as forgettable and not worthy of the hate, but that last level really tried me. It's still not the shitstorm that Other M was, but those last two fights were undoubtedly middle fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Watching that fight a second time just angered me all over again. Uuuuuugh.

• Locked thread