Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pardon me, do you know where I could find any fun guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cool kings

If you harvest by cutting or pinching off the stem, you'll disturb less mycelium and get less dirt on your haul.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough. Stomping around their patch is probably more than pulling up the whole shroom. But for dirt, like lots of things, prevention beats cure.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The first one is pretty old and starting to fall apart. Something gilled (the ribs under the cap). Could be another amanita.

The second one is some variety of bolete. You can tell since it has pores (the foam under the cap). A lot of these are edible or at least won't hurt you much.

The third is an amanita. A lot of these are quite poisonous. The red one in Mario (amanita muscaria) you can hallucinate with, but you get liver damage or something. The destroying angel is pretty metal

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, apparently the liver damage thing might be a myth. Might have to try smashing some Goombas next summer

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One time we were biking around in the woods and there were a bunch of nice boletes and we were filling whatever little carrying capacity we had. We stopped at some cabins to hit them up for water. It was people on vacation, making steaks. We were all, you know what would go great with those? Wild mushrooms! They seemed dubious but possibly convinced. I still wonder if they went for it, based on some random kids on bikes advice.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh you wanna get frisky eh?
https://erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=28413

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Good stuff yo. Someone gave me some wine caps they grew in their yard. They had a pretty massive amount of food for the size of their little patch.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 11, 2017

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

extra stout posted:

How did you cook them and how did they taste? Those are still on my to try list. Also I give up at effort posting for a while, you should post some pictures of them good eatin' mushrooms, fella

Hey, it takes effort to find relevant Magic The Gathering art :P This was a couple summers ago, so no pics. I'm sure I tried them fried up in butter salt and pepper. Always got to start there, to compare to everybody else on the baseline. I think maybe we made a soup. Pretty tasty, like a portabella but more delicate or something

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Last year there were some popping this time, but it's been a bigger snow year so, patience...

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Skiing is over motherfuckers, let's go find some god drat mushrooms! :hellyeah:

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a Russula
Dunno, cute though
A bone
Squaw root
Squaw root -these guys always trying to play at being morels :P

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Personally anything with gills I don't trust myself to identify, with a couple exceptions where they're very distinct (chanterelles, shaggy mane). Morels, boletes, puffballs, chicken of the woods, these guys are much more straight forward.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't tell you but it looks really creepy and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

• Locked thread