Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
I apologize in advance if the OP doesn't want this to be a "please help identify this random mushroom" thread. I love taking pictures of, painting and drawing mushrooms and as such am always wondering what I am looking at. Here are just a few of the mushrooms I've photographed in the woods of New England, was wondering if anyone has any ideas what they might be::

Reading this thread I'm becoming aware that in the future I need to get photos at a different angle but I don't plan on eating any mushrooms so I try not to disturb them, cut them, move them etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Epitope posted:

The first one is pretty old and starting to fall apart. Something gilled (the ribs under the cap). Could be another amanita.

The second one is some variety of bolete. You can tell since it has pores (the foam under the cap). A lot of these are edible or at least won't hurt you much.

The third is an amanita. A lot of these are quite poisonous. The red one in Mario (amanita muscaria) you can hallucinate with, but you get liver damage or something. The destroying angel is pretty metal

extra stout posted:

Agreeing with Epitope on all three, the first isn't identifiable (and in general most people will want to see a second shot of the gills or pores underneath the cap, if not also a third of the volva) the second looks a lot like the tasty king boletes posted not long before you (but you've come a bit late to harvest it) and the third is an amanita, probably the poisonous amanita cokeri.

I took pictures for several months before harvesting or eating any, it's a great segue into free food even if slow learning.

Awesome! Thank you both of you. Always curious what the names of the things around me are, I'm familiar with most of the birds, animals, trees and wildflowers etc. but when it comes to the mushrooms I have no idea. Thank you for making this thread OP.

• Locked thread