Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Mushrooms are great, and are aspect of many culture's interaction with nature. In Eastern Europe and the Baltics, every autumn is the mushroom season. People young and old wander into the woods looking for mushrooms, and usually return. SAR calls spike during that time period, because peeps focusing on the ground usually end up having no idea where the are. This has gotten better with the introduction of smartphones.

I'm far from a mushroom expert, but I've taken a few courses on them, and can generally identify them properly. Unless I'm 100% sure, I double check with a guide. Make sure your guide is current, as in the last 5 years. Mycologists sometimes come to new conclusions on edibility after research. Make sure your guide is local, mushrooms that may look the same as at home sometimes are not (EE immigrants in Israel often get mushroom murked).

In the Nordic countries, mushroom hunting and other foraging activities are generally protected under their nation's Rights of Public Access

A great NA pocket guide is https://www.amazon.com/All-That-Rain-Promises-More/dp/0898153883 the cover of which is one of humanity's crowning achievements.

Weirdly, most of the mushrooms I end up picking grow on trees, and are generally not eaten. A few of my favorites.

Chaga, Inonotus obliquus

This one grows on birch trees, generally injured or sick ones. it looks like a big gross burl. It's usually harvested with an axe and allowed to dry. The inside is fibrous and golden colored. Chaga is sometimes known as tinder fungus, and when dried it makes a fantastic firestarter, catching sparks very effectively.

It's often used to make tea, and can be sold to commercial harvesters. I've never done so, and only harvest it to give as gifts or for my own use, I think it tastes nice. There is some Chinese and Russian research saying it has anti-cancer properties, but I'm pretty skeptical about that.

Razorstrop Fungus Piptoporus betulinus

Technically edible, but I've never tried. Grows on birch (Betula), and is fairly common. I like it because you can cut out a small bit, and the flesh acts as fairly passable strop for a razor, knife, or axe. You can also burn it, and it makes a slow smoke for keeping away mosquitos, which does not smell great.

Artists Conk Ganoderma applanatum

This one usually can be found on downed logs, and is notable mostly for being fun. Pressure applied to the spores on the bottom leaves an ink-like mark, and can be "drawn" on. I've left friendly notes for groups following me at shelters with this mushroom, and it usually is memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's a fairly neutral taste, I've found it just adds an earthy undertone. Some people sweeten it with honey. I drank a liter of it before a particularly hellish week, and credit my survival to it (not really).

I've always heard Fomes fomentarius referred to as false tinder fungus, but that could be a regional thing. Chaga doesn't need the intervening boiling and pounding step that fomentarius does, was my theory of the false/not false conundrum.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
As for identifying chaga, the clearest thing is how black it is, it also tends to grow in more "parasitic" shapes than a burl. If you're still not sure, you can try breaking off a bit by hand. Chaga should come loose, a burl will not.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

LoTR gifs should be a staple of this subforum, thank you

Thanks, I've seen people claim it's as hard as a burl but based on everything I know about wood and burls I assumed this was false, not intentionally, some people just have baby hands I suppose.

You don't have PMs, is there anywhere we can chat and you can become my very first friend? Beyond that I'd like to bother you to find out as much as you can about traditional birch skis, but that is for another thread.

send me a message at hewtangclan@hmamail.com

Free Market Mambo fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 17, 2016

• Locked thread