Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
The driving levels in this game are pretty fun. They're built on the same engine as the Need For Speed games of the time so if you enjoy those, you'll like these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

The driving levels in this game are pretty fun. They're built on the same engine as the Need For Speed games of the time so if you enjoy those, you'll like these.

Yeah I was going to say, I didn't work on these games, but I did work adjacent to them, since I was on the NFS team at the time. It was really weird and formal how the code and assets had to be handed over; it wasn't like a Nightfire guy could just come up to us and say "oh hey can you give us the Vanquish V12 meshes because that's in our game too". Instead they could only officially get certain things at these odd ceremonial milestone handovers. I'm pretty sure the Vanquish and the DB5 wouldn't have been in the NFS games at all except that they were doing the Bond games too next door, or vice versa, I never really got a handle on how the licensing worked.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
I played this game so many times when I was young, it is one of those First person shooters that has really short levels that almost feel too short and you have to play them over and over again to get enough time to try out different tactics and weapons in that little slice of gameplay.

I never knew they used the NFS code for the driving levels, I think the Vanquish feels a lot different that any of the cars in NFS games of that error, and the low gravity jumps are new aren't they?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dander My DOSDruid posted:

I played this game so many times when I was young, it is one of those First person shooters that has really short levels that almost feel too short and you have to play them over and over again to get enough time to try out different tactics and weapons in that little slice of gameplay.

I never knew they used the NFS code for the driving levels, I think the Vanquish feels a lot different that any of the cars in NFS games of that error, and the low gravity jumps are new aren't they?

The jumps feel almost scripted? Like physics temporarily turns off so the game can guide your car along the right parabolic path.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

I tend to agree with you, but they didn't feel short to me at the time. I wonder why that is. Maybe games have just gotten a lot bigger over the years?

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

The jumps feel almost scripted? Like physics temporarily turns off so the game can guide your car along the right parabolic path.

(For some reason I wrote error instead of era.)

Yea that makes sense, don't mind me.

What I want to know is why you are changing between Agent and 00 Agent difficulty on the fly, are some levels too hard with 00?

EggsAisle posted:

I tend to agree with you, but they didn't feel short to me at the time. I wonder why that is. Maybe games have just gotten a lot bigger over the years?

Maybe they have, also in the early FPS days you had a lot of time to experience and become familiar with all the mechanics in games like Doom and Duke Nuke 3d. With Nightfire you don't get much time with the weapon set and gameplay of the current level before it throws you into the next one. It perfected the Call of Duty campaign style and Call of Duty has never beaten it.

Dander My DOSDruid fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 21, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

What I want to know is why you are changing between Agent and 00 Agent difficulty on the fly, are some levels too hard with 00?

I briefly mentioned it in one or both of the parts so far, but you can get gold medals in the first few levels on Agent without really trying. However from 'Double Cross'-on, they're tight as hell with their point requirements, and you practically need that +2(x) point multiplier bonus from 00 Agent to get gold. The footage for part 2 switched between the difficulties because that was the level where I learned that sad fact, so there were plenty of takes on Agent where funny things happened but I ended up only getting silver. I think every level from hereon-out is on 00 Agent.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Nov 21, 2016

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Perfect Dark is the best Bond game. :colbert:

Don't tempt me.

StupendousMan posted:

Nightfire and Everything Or Nothing are two of the best Bond games out there, IMO.

Now here's somebody who knows what's up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The graphics somehow hold up better than the prerendered cutscenes

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, some weapon comments:

* The Raptor Magnum .357 is obviously a Desert Eagle in .357 Magnum, but later you actually get the same gun in its .50 AE version. I don't know of any other game that has multiple Desert Eagle variants in different calibers.

* The shotgun is based on the Franchi SPAS-12, which can be switched from semi-auto to pump-action in real life. It's supposed to be so you can fire the gun in semi-auto normally and switch to pumping when you're firing rounds that aren't powerful enough to operate the action (like low-velocity beanbag rounds) or if the gun is so dirty that it's not functioning properly. I think they included that function in the game just because they were at a loss as to what the alternate fire could be.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
Thornbrain, when you mentioned the difficulty and you mentioned Platinum and gold rewards I was really confused, thank you for clearing it up.

Is there a single game in the Bond franchise that has real weapon names? They always save cash and go for funny names like the Klobb.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thornbrain, when you mentioned the difficulty and you mentioned Platinum and gold rewards I was really confused, thank you for clearing it up.

No problem.
The game's a little funny about explaining gold and platinum medals too anyway. You have to unlock gold for the 007 bonuses to appear, and the game says you can only get platinum by collecting all of them, but it also says in the score screen that you need 1 million points to get platinum. What the game really means is there's no way to get 1mil without the bonuses, as collecting all of them gives you 100k points, which on 00 Agent boosts your score about 300k.

Next update will include the first of two platinum medal/007 Bonus reels, so you'll see what I mean a little clearer.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is there a single game in the Bond franchise that has real weapon names? They always save cash and go for funny names like the Klobb.

using licensed names costs money, hence why even in Battlefield Beretta firearms have slightly different names. That and at this point I think it's more just keeping up with the tradition started with Goldeneye. However I believe with the Daniel Craig games Walther was a sponsor so all Walther firearms use their proper names.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I don't remember the exact order, but I had a ton of fun with some of the upcoming levels. I'm interested to see if they hold up, considering I haven't played the game in well over a decade.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aces High posted:

using licensed names costs money, hence why even in Battlefield Beretta firearms have slightly different names. That and at this point I think it's more just keeping up with the tradition started with Goldeneye. However I believe with the Daniel Craig games Walther was a sponsor so all Walther firearms use their proper names.

Battlefield 1 is a funny case because they can't use certain licenses like Beretta and Mauser freely because the companies that made the weapons 100 years ago still exist.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I could never finish this game. There is apparently a part at a later level that has a game breaking bug where a door that's required to progress wouldn't open. I don't know if it's present in the version you are playing but it was in the version I played.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Doseku posted:

I could never finish this game. There is apparently a part at a later level that has a game breaking bug where a door that's required to progress wouldn't open. I don't know if it's present in the version you are playing but it was in the version I played.

I had that issue when I played Agent Under Fire on the PS2. Did you play Nightfire on the PS2? It could've been a disc read error.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
It was the pc edition back when Discs were a major thing for pc games.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

A fun, if slightly tricky, stealth mission is followed immediately by the best level ideas stuck in the worst level in the game.

Also I know it's not a creative reference to make, but of course frozentreasure named one of his 007 LP parts the same thing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

chitoryu12 posted:

Speaking of crappy old Bond games, anyone remember Rogue Agent?

Yes, one of it's big promising features was some kind of new immersive AI system that meant that no player would experience the same combat encounter twice. When in reality that wasen't true at all and the AI was a dumb as any other AI in a game released around that time was :v:

Speaking of the game at hand though. Is it this game or one of the 3rd person games that had co-op missions? Would be neat to see those if this is the game i'm thinking of.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I believe co-op was everything or nothing and it was a pain in the rear end.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
The dart gun is an actual underwater pistol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P11 with the main differences being the that the 007 one shoots sleeping darts whereas the real thing shoots underwater killing bullets and can't be reloaded by the shooter! :eng101:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thefluffy posted:

The dart gun is an actual underwater pistol https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_P11 with the main differences being the that the 007 one shoots sleeping darts whereas the real thing shoots underwater killing bullets and can't be reloaded by the shooter! :eng101:

You can reload the gun by swapping barrel clusters just like in the game. You just have to send the barrels back to the factory to load them with darts, because the barrels are sealed with the darts inside to make the gun waterproof.

Also I'm calling bullshit on Kiko appearing in that final cutscene. You clearly see the outside while Bond is crawling through the vent and it's completely empty.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
i actually got angry seeing the enemies hidden by the windows in the sniper level, because the memories came flooding back of praying to get a lucky shot on them before i died for the 50th time. and that STUPID grapple point at the top of the crane. the geometry did the same thing to me too. that level is bad bad bad

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
....Travis, why were otters watching you masturbate?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

My only guess for the AP rounds was that the game maybe expected you to use the rounds to shoot through the walls and hit the snipers in the overlooking building. Or possibly to shoot through all of the metal objects in the laser cannon room either before photographing it or afterwards if you didn't think to use the laser cannon.

Also, Kiko's betrayal did not take a long time to happen. We only met her like two levels ago and already she's backstabbed Bond. I doubt that's a record time, though.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

AradoBalanga posted:

My only guess for the AP rounds was that the game maybe expected you to use the rounds to shoot through the walls and hit the snipers in the overlooking building.

I think I tried that in an early take. It didn't work, so I don't think they actually go through walls. Even if it did, you can't see them without being in a position where they can kill you immediately.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 26, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ThornBrain posted:

I think I tried that in an early take. It didn't work, so I don't think they actually go through walls. Even if it did, you can't see them without being in a position where they can kill you immediately.
Well, then I'm just as confused as to why the AP rounds are in the level. Weird.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Might have been a last minute throwaway attempt at showcasing the rifle's alternate fire feature in single player.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
No update today since we're in-between recording sessions, but if we're lucky we'll have an update sometime this weekend.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

And here it is.

We wrap up the game next week! Don't know if there'll be anything big for multiplayer, but I'm going to try to show some of it off. It's pretty drat fun.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Man, if Oddjob drove people insane with his shorter height, I can only imagine how the much shorter Nick Nack is annoying to fight in multiplayer.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
Is Alura supposed to have an Australian accent or not? It seems to change depending on the line of dialogue.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
You guys missed the Agent Under Fire reference at the start of the underwater mission. The sunken tanker they duck into at the beginning is from Malprave Industries.

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Yeah, mission 9 was a pain precisely because of the lack of checkpoints. 00 Agent runs on this mission sucked.

Still always love Q chewing Bond out at getting his stuff damaged.

Quiet Python posted:

Is Alura supposed to have an Australian accent or not? It seems to change depending on the line of dialogue.

Australian secret agent, so yeah!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They did make a 'parody game like this'.

No One Lives Forever was awesome. Extremely awesome.

(I was a video behind and catching up)

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

You guys missed the Agent Under Fire reference at the start of the underwater mission. The sunken tanker they duck into at the beginning is from Malprave Industries.

Damnit. I specifically told myself to point it out too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I almost forgot how incredibly short this game is! The plane level was always a neat one for me as a kid, but I consistently had trouble with surviving until the final turret section.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Night10194 posted:

They did make a 'parody game like this'.

No One Lives Forever was awesome. Extremely awesome.

(I was a video behind and catching up)

Now if only they'd release it on Steam. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This game is so loving dark. Lights everywhere and you can still barely see anything.

• Locked thread