Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on finishing the LP, and thank you! This was a treat to read.

Are there any game-mechanical consequences of using the Geneforge? Skill boosts, unlimited essence, or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

berryjon posted:

Yay! Onward to more bio-engineering!

Don't burn yourself out, please.

I'll do my best!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Congratulations on finishing the LP, and thank you! This was a treat to read.

Are there any game-mechanical consequences of using the Geneforge? Skill boosts, unlimited essence, or similar?

Thanks!

That's a good question. I should include that info in the last post. You gain +8 to all attributes, melee, spellcraft, and Shaper skills, around 800 exp at around level 21, and a full restoration. Knowing that, a normal person would blow through the optional challenge zones after using the Geneforge.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bit about how those who have used the Forge cannot tolerate *equals* any longer is fascinating.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

berryjon posted:

Yay! Onward to more bio-engineering!

Don't burn yourself out, please.
What they said.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Looking forward to the G2 LP, this one was a real treat!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Honestly, the best thing about this game is the endings - they're all pretty satisfying and surprisingly reasonable (only exception is when you run away like a coward, but c'mon, you deserve that poo poo ending). I've always liked the Trajkov ending best though - just seems like the generally best resolution for everyone.

Also, for those of you who plan on reading the future GF2 LP thread, keep the events and potential endings of this game in the back of your mind - there's some interesting oddities in the way future storylines treat the events on Sucia Island.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I gotta say, I think I like the Outer Heaven ending the most. Take the power, and if the others can't handle it, that's their problem, not yours.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Rockopolis posted:

I gotta say, I think I like the Outer Heaven ending the most. Take the power, and if the others can't handle it, that's their problem, not yours.

Real Ultimate Murder is my favorite ending.

By the way, the new LP is live. This thread will be locked once the LP is up on LPArchive.org.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Just want to say thanks for the thread before you lock it. Now to start following the next one.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I am now very very glad no combination of 'use the Geneforge' and 'do not destroy the Geneforge' succeeded.

You're doing a public service, POOL.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Like I was hinting at earlier, Rydell get's my respect for having the MASSIVE stones to actually stand up to the player after using the Geneforge so I let him live (and Ellrah lost a few points for making GBS threads his pants in my presence).

Also, this was my first ending because ULTIMATE POWER!!!!! :hellyeah:

To put how much your stats go up in perspective, my AGENT was able to create a victory fleet of 7 Drakes and have enough essence leftover to cover all of her spell casting needs as I went and destroyed ever last Sholai (not counting the rebel Sholai) and Taker.

mauman fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 5, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Thank you for an amazing LP and looking forwards to the next!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thank you for this LP, and I'll be reading the next.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'd just like to add that emulating the tone of the game itself was a really great stylistic choice and really made the already good LP even better.

Looking forward to G2!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Thank you for a fantastic voyage, PIC. I just discovered this thread perhaps two weeks ago and, being a huge mark for Spiderweb games, I was immediately drawn to it. I've only ever tinkered a bit with GF 4 and 5, so this was an entirely new experience to me. I've bookmarked the GF2 thread and am looking forward to following it. Let me also add that doing this long, text- and outcome-heavy game in only 10 months or so is a big accomplishment as well.

MagusofStars posted:

Honestly, the best thing about this game is the endings - they're all pretty satisfying and surprisingly reasonable (only exception is when you run away like a coward, but c'mon, you deserve that poo poo ending). I've always liked the Trajkov ending best though - just seems like the generally best resolution for everyone.

Keeping aside the admittedly grave destruction of the Shapers, I was really surprised by that. I can't even think of another situation in storytelling where someone get Ultimate Power and ends up being mostly sane and responsible. Also, when Trajkov says that he won't let you use the Geneforge because you would lose yourself and you and he would be jealous of each others' power, he was spot-on correct. Looking at the "Protagonist uses the GeneForget and destroys it (or not)" endings, that is exactly what happens. I guess that Trajkov was just a very disciplined fellow.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It probably also helped that he was pursuing a goal with very clear enemies that he could throw wave after wave of creations at, and which wasn't particularly hindered by the kind of monomania that the Geneforge seems to instil in people.

Like, being a Geneforged monstrosity mostly seems to create problems at the point you have to acknowledge anybody else as anything other than an inferior being. In Trajkov's ending he doesn't so he's fine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Do different endings get different ending slides, or are they the same generic pictures regardless?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Do different endings get different ending slides, or are they the same generic pictures regardless?

Some of them get different slides. I may have missed one? I'm stuck in Chicago OHare right now so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure that the slides are in the G1 folder and aren't encrypted or anything.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Some of them get different slides. I may have missed one? I'm stuck in Chicago OHare right now so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure that the slides are in the G1 folder and aren't encrypted or anything.

Is it just me, or does 'Chicago OHare' sound like Bucky's ancestor circa the Prohibition era?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

vdate posted:

Is it just me, or does 'Chicago OHare' sound like Bucky's ancestor circa the Prohibition era?

Everything between Knoxville and Chicago sounds like that to me!

Thanks, Thunder Road. ...Throad.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Is there a way to forge yourself without killing either or both of the big dudes first?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

hey girl you up posted:

Is there a way to forge yourself without killing either or both of the big dudes first?

No. You can steal the gloves from Goettsch without killing him, though he will become hostile. You cannot reach the Geneforge and use it without killing Trajkov. If Trajkov uses the Geneforge, you can slay him and you will automatically strip the gloves from his corpse.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

JustJeff88 posted:

Keeping aside the admittedly grave destruction of the Shapers, I was really surprised by that. I can't even think of another situation in storytelling where someone get Ultimate Power and ends up being mostly sane and responsible.

<--- I can think of one where they became more sane and responsible, but they almost couldn't end up less so.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

mauman posted:

To put how much your stats go up in perspective, my AGENT was able to create a victory fleet of 7 Drakes and have enough essence leftover to cover all of her spell casting needs as I went and destroyed ever last Sholai (not counting the rebel Sholai) and Taker.
For the folks who haven't played, Drayks are tough, have solid HP, and consistently put out triple digit damage with ranged fire breath attacks and melee bite attacks.

Several Terror Vlish can scare off enemies but a Drayk squad just plows through everything like a speeding train hitting a go-kart.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Parts Kit posted:

For the folks who haven't played, Drayks are tough, have solid HP, and consistently put out triple digit damage with ranged fire breath attacks and melee bite attacks.

Several Terror Vlish can scare off enemies but a Drayk squad just plows through everything like a speeding train hitting a go-kart.

It's probably the most satisfying thing in the game, save high level agent instagib plays, to have a fleet of dragons at your beck and call steamrolling everything in their path.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Yes, one of the great things about using the Geneforge is that Jeff Vogel didn't chicken out of using the game mechanics to show you how ridiculously overpowered you'd become. After everybody on the island had stood in your way to make you play their games before they'd help, it's so cathartic to blaze through and murder everybody.

Which I guess kind of makes the endings' point for them, really.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Whybird posted:

Yes, one of the great things about using the Geneforge is that Jeff Vogel didn't chicken out of using the game mechanics to show you how ridiculously overpowered you'd become. After everybody on the island had stood in your way to make you play their games before they'd help, it's so cathartic to blaze through and murder everybody.

Which I guess kind of makes the endings' point for them, really.

To be honest, most blank-slate videogame protagonists end up being as sociopathic as the game engine allows. Witness how long it took for Precipitate to stoop to petty theft.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To be honest, most blank-slate videogame protagonists end up being as sociopathic as the game engine allows. Witness how long it took for Precipitate to stoop to petty theft.

Any videogame protagonist will be a kleptomaniac. Our mentor told us, you think there's craziness going down you get to hoarding.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Chronische posted:

It's probably the most satisfying thing in the game, save high level agent instagib plays, to have a fleet of dragons at your beck and call steamrolling everything in their path.
And adding bless/haste just makes it even more absurd. Nothing even gets the chance to come close to your squad. :getin:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Hey, our master has sanctioned excessive supply liberation.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Hey, our master has sanctioned excessive supply liberation.

She probably was on an epic quest once upon a time and got some bad habits, helping solution find anywhere north of 80 lost fyoras in the woods will do that to you.

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Just finished reading the LP and drat... Pool, you're doing the Lord's work.

I own almost all of Spider Software's games, and I've played a handful of them for a few hours. It was so great to see this one get played through to completion, and even going as far as to show off the other endings! Truly masterful.

Looking forward with great anticipation to the next LP.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Xandor TikRoth posted:

Just finished reading the LP and drat... Pool, you're doing the Lord's work.

I own almost all of Spider Software's games, and I've played a handful of them for a few hours. It was so great to see this one get played through to completion, and even going as far as to show off the other endings! Truly masterful.

Looking forward with great anticipation to the next LP.

The next LP has begun and is linked in one of PIC's earlier posts in case you missed that!

Xandor TikRoth
Mar 10, 2012

I can definitely help with that
Oh I'm already through the first update! Getting into the ground floor on this next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The final draft of the LP is off to Baldurk for archiving, and with that, it's time to retire this thread. Thank you all for participating and keeping this thread alive. Also thanks for the :five:s!

Shaper Strawberry Jam

Needed: Serviles.

Ellhrah's Awakened Strawberry Jam

1 part sugar or honey to 1 part crushed strawberries
freshly cleaned and dried jars and lids

Gently wash the strawberries in cool water and let them dry on a clean towel. Pare off the hulls and any soft or slug-eaten spots. Crush the strawberries, measure the sugar, and pour both into a sizable pot.

Bring the mixture to boil over a moderately strong flame, stirring regularly to prevent the bottom layer from burning. If foam is undesirable, skim it off or add a small pat of sweet butter to the pot. One may test whether the jam has reached its jelly point by dipping a cold, metal spoon briefly into the pot and observing the speed at which the jam drips off as it cools. Because we have not added apple pectin to this recipe, the jam shall be quite loose, but should not be totally liquid.

Once the jam has reached one's desired jelly-ness, pour it into the clean, dry jars and tighten the lids to finger tightness. Invert them and leave them for half an hour, then set them right side up and allow them to cool completely. Keep the jam in the cold storage caverns and use within the month.

• Locked thread