Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Loving the LP so far. Geneforge, like Avernum/Exile, is one of my favorite traditional computer RPGs and in part because I love how the subtle tweaks and modifications tot he generic fantasy setting really make for something unique and weird - especially in Geneforge's case.

I played the original ages ago, never bothered with the sequels, but just bought them all on Steam thanks to this thread. At the risk of a slight derail; any good mood music to listen to while playing? The sounds of nature and laughing children are bane to my ears.
Actually, we should maybe have a Spiderweb Megathread in games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I've never played the Avadon games, and have yet to get the most recent Exile/Avernum remake, but unless one of those games has a score, none of his games have music besides little opening ditties.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I doubt the Sholai altered him. I mean, why bother? Even if you could do a lobotomy through shaping or surgery, why not just kill the thing if you don't want it helping anyone? It's simpler and easier, certainly. Plus assuming you could use shaping to lobotomize someone, then presumably you could possibly use shaping to undo it, as well. Why take that risk?

I got the impression Tro was just sort of the bare minimum. Probably the only reason his job wasn't being done by a servile was because of plot necessity of having Tro to interact with, since servant minds live so much longer.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Still loving this.
Out of curiosity, what are the effects if you ask the Awakened instead of the Obeyers to help the rebels? Or is that spoiler territory? I suppose, on a related note, which would you be doing were you not constrained by the thread vote ;)

Also slight typo - when you have Solution joining the Obeyers, you accidentally wrote her saying she would like to ally with the Takers.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
By intention or not, there doesn't seem to be any one real-world culture that the Shapers can be mapped to - Shaper names we see in the later games include Greta and Shanti, so yeah - Goettsch could be a reference to some real world name, or just a rando fantasy name.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Alright, so, like, important disclaimer so you don't get me wrong; the Shapers are dicks and their treatment of the Serviles is abhorrent. I normally wouldn't include this kind of disclaimer when discussing video game ethics but as others have pointed out in this thread, the Shaper-Servile relationship is very well written and really calls to mind some of the more perverse injustices in our real shared history as Humans. So, like, don't misconstrue this post as support for the Shapers overall or the IRL factions and individuals that in part inspired them.

That said, I do think some of us in the thread are a bit quick to judge them. Remember that what we are seeing in Sucia are the remnants of immoral and/or irresponsible practices that have been extinct for centuries or more. Yeah, the creation arena is barbaric, but bullfighting is something that goes on right now to this very day. To criticize the Shapers because some of their ancestors did awful things to animals is silly, especially when they have completely stopped that practice - in that respect they are our moral betters.

And, yeah, leaving the magic waste unsecured like that was a bad move, but it's pretty clear they really did expect the Barring to be temporary. It's also pretty clear that the Shapers of Sucia were pretty irresponsible and radical in general and are probably not our best indicators of how careful the average Shaper is.

Like, yes, the Shapers wield enormous power with enormous potential for harm, and yes we see some of the major disasters that result from its misuse, but one of the things the game - and the sequels - constantly hammer home is that the Shapers are keenly aware of this. Self-control, responsibility, and an awareness of the dangers of misuse of shaping are all things that Shapers have constantly hammered into them.

Like the impression I've gotten so far from the series is that, yeah, the Shapers have made some huge gently caress-ups in the past but they have learned from them, and genuinely are trying to wield their powers in the most responsible and safe way that they can.
Now, how they treat the Serviles, on the other hand...

Seriously, though, it's this complexity and moral nuance that's part of what makes the series work so well. The Shapers are privileged fuckers, but they are nuanced and you can see, if not necessarily support, where they are coming from in most regards.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Also given that we/Solution are just one person and have no allies we can potentially empower with the canisters, we have no real plot or gameplay reason to want to move them, anyway. Like the only meaningful choices from a roleplay perspective or to use them or not to use them, not when to use them. It's not like the canisters are temporary in their effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ManxomeBromide posted:

Is there any reason you wouldn't take a canister?

Plotwise? Yes, obviously. Gameplaywise? No. In Geneforge 1 there is no mechanical reason to ever not use a canister. In the later games, canister use affects endings and poo poo so there is a mechanical reason to not use them.

• Locked thread