Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This is what will happen if the thread votes for pitting all the sects against each other. :black101:

5 it is. (Hi, just caught up!)

Also does the game have the appropriate logic for us to sunder everything Syros worked for, fetter all his power, and leave him helpless but talkative as an exclamation point for the massive "gently caress You" that we'll be delivering at a Shaper tribunal (or more likely that we'll be spilling to a journalist in a dimly-lit abandoned creation pen)? Because I guess we can settle for just unmaking him, guessing that that's all we'll get based on the other gaps in game logic you've shown us, but after that meeting? Holy poo poo.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Ha, gotcha! I have all of Spiderweb's Steam library already!

My name is dont be mean to me and I have a Steam Problem. :retrogames::respek:💸

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Night10194 posted:

Learning the Outsider language seems pretty essential.

Someone who recognizes they belong here as little as we do! Also yeah this is probably our best shot at reading Trajkov's book, as it were.

Tonight's reading: the real Sucia Island among the San Juan islands of Washington: extremely modestly sized, surrounded by even tinier islands and its namesake navigational hazards (reefs and rocks), and mostly used as a campground.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I'm more depressed that the best bath we've found yet here is in a haunted ruin. Nobody appreciates the simple things.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the other place is an ancient Shaper burial ground that was being systematically defiled and dismantled.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

First: our party is down to only two species, not counting Solution. That means we can have a new creation type. Our available options are: Battle Alphas, Glaahks, Cryoas, Pyroroamers, Searing Artilas, and Plated Bugs. Pick one and only one.

Is there any information, either linked back in the thread or not yet disclosed, that would assist in making a wiser decision here?

As for itinerary, FA. As much as I think that gently caress a drayk, the named ones aren't really to be trifled with. Unless we're about to get too high level to benefit from it or something.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This is essentially a blind decision -- don't worry, I won't be more crippled by the choice of any of the listed creations than I was by having base fyoras. Any of these creatures will be an improvement.

However, the battle alphas and plated bugs belong to Solution's weakest Shaping skill, battle shaping. Glaahks and searing artilas belong to her strongest skill, magic shaping. Solution is fairly decent at fire shaping, so cryoas will probably be decent and also provide access to an unusual damage type, ice. Searing artilas are stronger versions of the base artilas we've had for most of the game and do the same damage type.

Then cryoas, so Solution can have a more perfect form of dinofriend :3:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I was tempted to go with searing artilas too, but I'd rather just wait until we run out of normal artilas to breathe life into artilas++. And if that doesn't happen, then we got by with regular artilas, and that's pretty neat.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Abolish the Shaper state.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Damage (reduction) per time? And since your Creations are permanents, that time flattens a lot of things out. EDIT: Also semi-geometric scaling since better Creations live longer, spreading the cost across even more time.

Doesn't always scale well, but that's just sort of a 'change it up' message.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Sheeple, wake up!

We can shape ORNKS now.

And then Solution became a crazy woods lady.

Well, not right away; we have too much stuff we have to drag out into the light, but we're basically self-sufficient now and no one else deserves to have to live with the weight of this place on their shoulders.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 5, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Glazius posted:

I wonder what the Sholai are thinking of doing. Returning home as god-kings? Living it up here? Going space?

George Orwell (more accurately, O'Brien in 'Nineteen Eighty-Four') posted:

Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.

First thing that came to mind. Don't know if it strictly applies to Trajkov, but he did put himself through an Age-of-Sail expedition across an ocean equivalent to the Pacific without really knowing what was out there except 'more land, probably', and there's not a lot of mindsets that deal with that well without an innate affinity for being in charge and having power of life and death over one's subordinates.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 28, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

C+G

It's our time now; let's get this poo poo started.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Slaan posted:

We should go with A. Trajkov because he seems the sanest of the bunch. Worst case, we can betray him later.

No, we can't.

The OP isn't giving us a CYOA page reference; she's to some extent abstracting the endgame into previews for us, with implied ramifications for future LPs of Geneforge's sequels.

We'll probably see every endgame, but this choice will apparently hold firm.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Literally all your images are broken because LPix's SSL certificate expired.

And you can't even force the site to work in Chrome because of HSTS.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Dirk the Average posted:

This. We worked hard for this and going back to Shaper society will get us killed. Take it all for ourselves and build a new society on this island. It's ours now, whether everyone else here acknowledges it or not.

I would say more that the island belongs to its people. We are thrust into the unwelcome position of its custodian; the people and maybe not even the land itself are likely to survive Shaper recriminations once they find out what happened here, and not even any Power from the ancient tales knows what would happen if the chemical stews here hit the open ocean - but from what it has done moving through sand and stone, we can guess, and only tremble.

We know the Shapers are coming. We know we are already under the Geneforge's sway. Has it affected our humanity? Yes, but less than we feared, and I'd like to think our understanding of things, the lessons that the Shapers think can only be taught by indoctrination and rectification, has been bolstered by the finest open-air object lesson their world has ever known.

The Shapers may have had several generations to learn from what they did here, but it's as likely that they learned nothing, or worse that this place has become to their own heterodoxies a lost treasure ripe for the taking; we know they've wanted nothing to do with this place for most of that time, and they may not have even known what they sent their man into. What happens if they find out what they did leave here, and their most sociopathic elements see no need to follow their own traditions, or the lessons of the past here, or indeed anything that might constrain them?

As for Goettsch, he is beyond any help that we can provide and we know exactly what kind of help the Shaper state would provide him (and it's likely that he knew that going in). In an embrace of his fate, he may even send up the flag bringing the Shapers down on us prematurely. That cannot be allowed to happen. And maybe the Shaper ideology is the problem, if the same mistakes happen again and again. Not that it is necessarily fundamentally flawed, but that it is merely incomplete, and that the Shapers themselves can no longer see through what's there to understand what isn't, that perhaps what they have built and their unwillingness to confront what they've allowed to collapse blinds them to what is missing.

This place must be contained. That cannot be done without its power. And no one understands that as we have come to. The Shapers are right that it takes time to understand a place. Time we will have, to learn how to pass its lessons on to others, maybe even the people that have arisen here. But for now, as unready as we are, and as unwilling as we are supposed to be, here is where we make our stand.

AB

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

I am now very very glad no combination of 'use the Geneforge' and 'do not destroy the Geneforge' succeeded.

You're doing a public service, POOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

JustJeff88 posted:

Keeping aside the admittedly grave destruction of the Shapers, I was really surprised by that. I can't even think of another situation in storytelling where someone get Ultimate Power and ends up being mostly sane and responsible.

<--- I can think of one where they became more sane and responsible, but they almost couldn't end up less so.

• Locked thread