Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Stay neutral until you've actually met everybody. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the Takers were trying to hide a backstab by acting all obsequious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are you putting anything into these critters but 2 points of Int? It seems like sheer numbers are pretty useful for now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, this is a great setting. It's got a lot of recognizable fantasy bits to it but the angle it takes with them is amazingly fresh.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So somebody's learned how to make and construct free-form spawners and... well, either it's the Takers or the other human invaders, and I can't see either one ending well.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Today's scented candle smells like t͏h̵̢͜e̶͏ f̴̨͢ate̵̢s͟ o̡͘f̨͢ ͠e̸͡nt̴͘͏i̴̢r̡̨e͟͞ ͘p҉e̢o̴̵͘ple̷͡s̀.

How strange, though. I guess even the Obeyers don't want an enforcer mind to be that super-strong, since everyone has to choose for themselves how to obey the Shapers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's neat that you can also learn by... y'know, learning.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. But they speak a little pidgin. I wonder if these humans are working with the Takers.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Can you get poisoned by that canister as many times as you want, or do you sensibly hold back from trying again?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna vote 4. We need to find other humans, since none of the other serviles have even wanted to leave.

Also I wonder why this land in particular dried up and blew away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The docks... kinda seem like endgame material? Given they were guarded by probably the toughest thing you've got so far. But the island isn't even half explored yet.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, those serviles were pretty well set to die to those rogues, right? Or are there, like, different levels of serviles with more durability?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'd figure the Takers would be kind of low on the totem pole since they're capable of not stabbing things on sight, but I suppose to Control Three that's just advanced insidiousness.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I mean. It's just Goettsch's realm. Spoilers removed at OP's request.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 13, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It isn't until right now that I realized the Shapers also applied their craft to nonliving things. Call me stupid, but with all the crazy life-forms running around I completely ignored the crystal crafting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Fyoras are pretty good switch-hitters, but yeah, it seems like their time has come. Just too much random damage incoming.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang. Fighting through all those drayks isn't going to be easy.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, this is an interesting past. I suppose with the evolution of shaping, there were some worthy things in those old mad experiments.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I don't know if dude was just mad and desperate, or if he thinks the power of the Geneforge is going to make getting a body back just, like, snap-snap simple.

The more we learn about this thing the more dangerous it sounds.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. That's actually kind of amazing, that, like, dozens and dozens of Shapers went back to be buried.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of sad that the belt of +3 to every stat isn't really worth that much to you in comparison to something that buffs your creatures.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, I have to give Goettsch credit. Hiding from everybody in the place where the oldest and angriest ghosts are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I had a similar line of thought last week while reading Nakar's Serpent Isle LP. The UI of this game is really similar in some respects to Ultima 4 and 5. Then the age gap struck me. No wonder this feels old school as hell.

Yeah, small operations tend to make nostalgic-looking style choices for practicality's sake. It's also a deliberate attempt to create these kind of old-school dungeon-crawling experiences that weren't getting made a lot at the time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I feel like most towns - and this is across all Spiderweb games - didn't really account for you trying to kill everyone outside of the bare facts of the engine. It'll be interesting to see a town that's designed to repel an assault from the player.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it actually possible to pick up and move canisters? I would expect that an entire boat worth of dudes might well be ordered to do that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, as long as you can finish this out it'll be great. Take your time, especially since combat's probably going to get a little more involving and the plot is going to come to a head.

Where else on the island can we spend gold for unlimited training, or is it only with luck?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder what the Sholai are thinking of doing. Returning home as god-kings? Living it up here? Going space?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ooh, here comes a man in a room. This should be good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly I'd kind of pick D, just because... well.

You don't just know how to use a giant gene-rewriting machine that changes yourself at a fundamental level as a theory, right? Someone tried this. Someone had to.

We have no idea what happened to them, which seems odd, unless maybe this amazing forbidden power isn't all that useful when you get right down to it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. So they were just starting out, then. Was this island even used for ten years before everything went Barred?

I suppose you can't build everything at once, but all the same, that's some fresh construction.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

ManxomeBromide posted:

That's worth noticing. A lot of RPGs either end with "yep, everything's back to normal, nothing to see here" or "well, we blew up like 90% of the world at the end of Act 2 but the survivors aren't completely screwed, and more importantly, our viewpoint characters had some personal growth".

This isn't about saving the world. The main character is a cipher. If the PC fails, the result is a vicious and terrible war, but not a pointless one. But the PC's intervention is what lets her shape the future. And given what was hidden there, that cannot remain static.

This isn't the Monomyth. Balance is not restored. The whole point is that it can't be.

---

Also, thinking about it, much of this game is about botched first contacts. Between Solution and the servile villages; between the various factions of the Sholai and the Shapers' civilization; between the Sholai and individual Shapers. In that light, Solution being selected as the first formal envoy of Shaper civilization to the Sholai is her greatest vindication.

Yeah, this is... a story where you don't have to matter, but you do. And a pretty big part of that is down to the wrapup. If what you did was going to have lasting consequences they'd play out over a much longer period than the game you could see. A good wrapup will sell you on the consequences far down the line.

The Awakened... I don't know if Shapers could accept them, honestly. Sucia is never going to be a friendly place and it may or may not get worse depending on how the wastes and pollution spread, or if Solution managed to stick enough apocalypse-shaped corks in their corresponding apocalypse-shaped holes. But their freedom was the most important thing to them, and they kept it. Perhaps they also have some things worth hoping for.

I hate to say it but I think the Obeyers were the most revolutionary thing the Shapers could accept - servitude which was only technically not unconditional, in that they were aware other options existed. On balance I think the world is a little kinder because of them.

And the Sholai got a second chance to meet the Shapers and made it count this time. We don't hear a lot about what mistrusts and derisions there may be, or how easy the peace is, but they accept Solution without a lot of resentment, and it seems like Solution might feel more at home there. The only Sholai who know much about the Geneforge are fellow veterans without a lot of the Shaper background.

But overall, yeah, the ending does a great job of selling all the consequences you can see and setting up the idea there will be more coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Yeah, I'd regret running out on the island early, but it does a good job of not feeling spiteful there.

• Locked thread