Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Oh, this looks like fun. My history with RPGs tends towards the Might-and-Magic style dungeon crawler, so these more X-Com-looking RPGs are interesting to watch unfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Neutral for now: we know the Awakened are either lying or mistaken about the Takers. We must assume both are lying or mistaken about the Obeyers.

If we are voting on sincerity beyond that, I think our primary emotions are both something is very wrong here and the Shapers have failed dramatically in their duty of care, and possibly many others. The rogue-creation spawning creatures have absolutely terrifying implications - far beyond the implications of self-sufficient serviles.

EDIT: Also, your update refers in several places to "Sercia Island" instead of "Sucia Island".

Also I have to wonder if Spiderweb intended to name this place Dirty Island...

ManxomeBromide fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 13, 2016

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Oh goodness, my name in lights! Artilas are definitely one of the more frumious creations.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I've always seen the fyoras as the puppiest creation. Pupperest? Pupperoni?

Definitely "puppiest". Puppy, puppier, puppiest.

vdate posted:

Every assumption we've made based on whatever association with the Shapers we had prior to our arrival has been proved wrong. The serviles are vastly more than we expected, even the faction that one might have expected to hobble themselves by their slavish devotion to their makers. Fully two-thirds of them intend to break their compact of servitude, and our control over them appears to have been inculcated at a cultural level rather than a genetic one - we cannot compel their servitude, save by force or threat of force. (And come to that, our servitude could be compelled the same way.) The servant minds we've found here have capacities beyond what we expected; the secrets of Shaping appear to have been leaked to those not even worthy of being called 'apprentice' - true outsiders. Put bluntly, how right do we think we are, here?

On a more practical level, consider that we ourselves have breached Sucia's seal - what is our endgame plan here? Should we find a viable means of escape, are we to simply turn ourselves over to the Shapers with a 'so sorry, bit sidetracked there, somebody attacked my drayk and it was a devil of a time to get back here, lucky for me somebody left these lovely canisters lying about'? What are we to suppose their reaction will be?

...when - or if - we escape from Sucia, will anywhere be safe for us while the Shapers still hold sway in that land? And if death for our overreach and our intrusion are not unreasonable expectations, why are we so wholly devoted to the Shapers?

If we have enough vague intimations of the future - that's not really Shaper magic, but you never know - that we've seen our own game over screen, we know that the Shapers made a big mistake when they took whatever went horribly wrong on this island and went "you know what? If we just run away and forget this ever happened, everything will be fine." It won't.

I suppose that if it would have been, our ship would not have been sunk.

Our best plan for survival now is for our inevitably vast list of crimes to be capped with "... and then saved us all", because then maybe we'll get a pardon.

We already possess desperately valuable intelligence - we know for a fact that there are outsiders exploiting this island. Maybe that will save us. But maybe it won't. But if it doesn't, we won't be the first being on Sucia Island to go rogue in an attempt to save everything we've always valued.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I was talking to some people who rescue exotic birds last week. One of their charges was a parrot who had outlived her previous keeper by something like 20 years. It had a bunch of things it could say, but some of them were very clearly still in the voice of that long-dead human.

Kind of sweet. Kind of creepy. Kind of unnervingly relevant to the situation on Sucia Island, now that I have some time to catch up.

That's also why I'm voting Maintain. Even if we adopt the more grim attitude we associate with the Master Shapers, the difference between a fyora or a servile and a thorn baton is the difference between a dog or a parrot and the yeast that ferments our beer.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I'm a little unclear on the question here.

If it's "what are we doing right now", the only sensible answer is 4.

There are actual human beings on Sucia Island, and at least one horrifying device of unknown power, and we're thinking about committing to a course of action involving rogue servile civilizations?

We actually have a pretty good theory about how all this came to pass - Sucia Island is so old that they didn't make their creations sterile. So nature took its course. We have no idea what either faction of the Sholai are up to, nor again what this "Geneforge" thing is all about. Deciding who to cast our lot with is clearly still premature. It is definitely the case that under no circumstances should we pre-emptively attack the Sholai rebels, and that's something the Takers want from us. They can cool their heels.

If the question is instead "what is our ultimate plan once we find our bearings", then barring some kind of major revelation from the Sholai, 5 is the correct choice. The serviles have done well for themselves, it is true - better than we had any reason to expect.

But they have not earned the right to use us as flagrantly as the have been trying to. They can expect only the same in return.

If the Sholai know something shattering that specifically makes one faction more important than the others, then this is something that could influence that basic decision. But that's where I vote that we stand now.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
How outclassed are you here? You seem to be running razor's edge against the pylons, but battle alphas seem like they've turned into target practice (until they aren't at target range anymore :rip:). Is this a matter of picking an approach that fits your build or are you hiding some of your suffering?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Well, presumably they don't attack their creators. So they're extremely aggressive bouncers who are also bitchin' lava lamps.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Hot drat. :stare:

I had pretty much resigned myself to the Obeyers being the Cynical Theocratic Dictatorship thing, but then your command options and that diary.

Based on how interaction in Avernum went, I'm guessing that was more the game's text than yours, but either way, I can actually feel a bit for that scheming bastard.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Then you've got stuff like The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump, which would fit just fine with Geneforge's attitudes.

One can take the "science says this is impossible" stuff too seriously, in my opinion. After writing a few books where he explored the implications of relativity, Charles Stross noted that he was no longer able to deal with Science FIction stories where FTL does not imply time travel the way relativity demands. This has always struck me as a bridge too far, but given that he [i]did[/i[ write the Eschaton books, I'm willing to file it under the old D&D rule "Never argue about hit points with a paramedic."

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Yay, it's back! :neckbeard:

Night10194 posted:

Little worried healing potions are ceasing to work on Solution.

Is that just that they heal a fixed number of HP, so as our HP levels up it takes more to top us off?

Game Text posted:

It looks like they manage a subsistence lifestyle out of fishing and failing to grow crops.

I may have laughed harder than is ethically justifiable.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You have an img tag closed with a [ /quote ], which prevents the image from displaying properly.

The full image is http://lpix.org/2656004/2016-12-21%2018_51_32-Greenshot.png which may be easier to search for.

Also here it is:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

MJ12 posted:

I liked how they looked pretty obviously 'engineered' compared to the other creatures. Like the Shapers had just decided 'gently caress it these guys are 100% for fite.'

Hey, when your name is straight-up "Battle [serial number]" there's not a lot of room for diversification.

I felt pretty bad for the attempted Battle Alpha colony.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
More domains where battle alphas can't really do much. :smith:

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Is there any reason you wouldn't take a canister?

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Trajkov has spoken nothing but truth, but he has omitted one crucially important fact:

Solution is, herself, a Shaper.

C is the obvious answer here. I suspect he knows full well what the text of that book says. We will not be able to simply tell him to shove his hand in as far as it will go and leave it at that...
... but when the time comes, the things that must be done must be done.

(I am unclear on the difference between B and C here, but betrayal is far more Solution's style than direct assault.)

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
C C. With the Geneforge destroyed, Goetscch is no longer a threat.

The Sholai already tried to use it once. It's not safe to leave the island with them able to not repeat their mistake.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
At some point this turned back into a conversation about Shaping.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Seven months on Sucia. Congratulations on completing it!

That ending was also quite a bit more upbeat than I was expecting, going in. I must admit that despite our continuous treachery, that ultimately worked out significantly better for the rogue servile tribes than I had predicted.

Yes, even the Takers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

vdate posted:

For whatever reason, it elevated the ending sequence to just about my favourite in gaming, and I'll always remember the last line - 'You can not unring a bell.'

That's worth noticing. A lot of RPGs either end with "yep, everything's back to normal, nothing to see here" or "well, we blew up like 90% of the world at the end of Act 2 but the survivors aren't completely screwed, and more importantly, our viewpoint characters had some personal growth".

This isn't about saving the world. The main character is a cipher. If the PC fails, the result is a vicious and terrible war, but not a pointless one. But the PC's intervention is what lets her shape the future. And given what was hidden there, that cannot remain static.

This isn't the Monomyth. Balance is not restored. The whole point is that it can't be.

---

Also, thinking about it, much of this game is about botched first contacts. Between Solution and the servile villages; between the various factions of the Sholai and the Shapers' civilization; between the Sholai and individual Shapers. In that light, Solution being selected as the first formal envoy of Shaper civilization to the Sholai is her greatest vindication.

• Locked thread