Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Maintain.

There's a nicely Darwinian aspect to it; if the creature is weak enough to impede your progress, it'll die and can be replaced with something stronger. And if it isn't weak enough to impede your progress, you never needed to make the better creature to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

If you do 5, does the game have an ending which corresponds to that or does it consider that you've joined a particular faction? And, if so, which one?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Upon consideration, I think 1B, although I suspect that's the choice a lot of people made when playing the game themselves.

It makes sense that joining a faction is mostly about trying to get resources to deal with the immediate problems of escaping and maybe stopping the imminent attack on the Shapers by Forces Unknown. That being the case, it makes sense to ally with someone rather than going it alone, and it further makes sense not to ally even temporarily with a faction that is totally bugfuck insane. All three of them have their issues, but the Takers' plan amounts to, quite literally, "let us find the most powerful people in the entire world and attack them head-on, armed with our extensive knowledge of dirt farming, one recipe for munitions that is a couple of centuries out of date, and the absolutely-not-dubious-at-all aid of some random people who just showed up ten minutes ago and definitely are planning to attack the Shapers for strong moral reasons and not for their own purposes".

Not only is it the worst and stupidest plan, it relies on them assaulting people who are for all intents and purposes just like you. A large percentage of their population clearly hates you just for existing, and regardless of what their leaders think, that is not likely to change in the near future. Making an alliance with people who loathe you and are just waiting for the first excuse to murder you is not a life-enhancing move, in general.

On the other side, I'm not sure how you talk to the Obeyers for more than ten seconds without wanting to beat some sense into them with a crowbar, which is likely to be a problem in any kind of alliance-type situation (although who knows, maybe they'd roll with it). Their whole thing of trying to discern true Shapers from fake ones is likely to get them all just as killed if the Shapers ever notice that they still exist, and these idiots would put their heads right in the noose. Further, if there really IS another Shaper around, the Obeyers are much more likely to follow them than Solution, given that Solution is a half-trained apprentice whose only expertise comes from ingesting glowing goo and giggling insanely as her genetic code is rewritten. So we're just asking to get stabbed in the back here.

The Awakened plan of facing the Shapers as equals is hopelessly naive, but they probably don't deserve to be annihilated for that, and if they're going to be, Solution should let the authorities take care of that rather than doing it herself, which is presumably the result of pitting the factions against each other. So, overall, they're the least objectionable faction choice. But let's not kill a Brain Bro if we can possibly avoid it.

I mean, the real solution is "all of them have a point and maybe they should stop fighting pointlessly with each other and figure out how to solve their mutual problems" but, you know.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

It's beautiful.

It's also worth noting that two hundred years is apparently about how long the island has been barred. So basically our brain bro here is saying "nobody has come to criticize me (because no shaper has come at all) and therefore I am doing it right".

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Ultimately, most screenshot LPs end up involving some percentage of fanfic; as long as it's enhancing the thing rather than detracting from it, just keep on keeping on!

mauman posted:

I would agree with that statement except for QfG 4.

But that would be an opinion and I'm sure some people would disagree. I don't think many would argue that the QfG 4 lp counted as more than your average narrative lp though (changed story, changed characters, changed everything).

But yeah, outside of QfG 4, I agree his QfG lps were pretty good.

I respectfully disagree with all of the above. That said, it's definitely different enough that I can see why some people would feel that way.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Oh great, Robert Frost references.

Whose genes these are I think I know,
They're on another island, though,
They will not see me stuff my brain
With things Man was not meant to know.

GreatEvilKing huffs flames in vain,
We halt with no foes to cause pain,
He aches to find a rogue or thief,
And murder them with might arcane.

Like Clockwork growls and seeks relief,
From their now sudden-silent chief,
The only other sound's the scrape,
Of metal lid on fallen leaf.

The secret doors before me gape,
But I have need to find escape,
And miles to go after I Shape,
And miles to go after I Shape.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Searing Artilas, because look at the thread name.

A. Track down Goettsch. I want to know what this dude's deal is.

F. South Workshop. Let's take a shot at doing some good.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The most logical explanation is that they assumed they might need the thing again someday, and didn't want to destroy it. That said, they should have sent people to guard the island; they seem to have assumed that just labelling it barred was enough to keep people away. (Maybe they're just arrogant enough to assume that their word will have that effect without any further enforcement.)

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

I keep forgetting to volunteer for the lost of names. I'll do it now.

Oh, right, I should do that too. You can use "Peas", although I strongly suspect you won't get that far down unless you LP every one of these and keep the list from game to game.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I think one of the things established in this episode is that they don't actually know for sure, or at least the rank-and-file don't. "What will you write on the scrolls?" "Uh... stuff! The best stuff! It'll be huge."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I somehow managed to avoid the PAX Pox this year., but I remember how hard I got hit the last couple of times. Not fun.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

C. Trajkov is a butthole. Let's not turn buttholes into godlike beings if we can possibly avoid it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

I'd say CC. The Geneforge is clearly too dangerous for anyone to use, and once it's gone, Goettsch shouldn't be much of a danger to anyone anymore.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

After Gene-Reforging (with apologies to Robert Frost)

My fyora friends are waiting on the shore
Not dead as such,
And there's a power that I didn't touch
Gone to dust, and there may be one or more
Lost canisters I didn't spot somehow.
But I am done with gene-reforging now.
Essence of freedom flies upon the air
The lure of power: I leave it behind.
But I can't tear my thoughts away from there
What I did find when opening a tin
That gave new strength in body and in mind,
Remade my self both without and within
Made of me both Problem and Solution,
But I am well
And at least most of me survived to tell,
How Shapers fell
Their triumph and final resolution.
Our breath-blessed tools are made and made again,
Claws and teeth and red flame,
Drawn out as if by some beast-trailing pen
I fear my spirit faces dilution,
The impression of a dozen others
I will remember each and every name
Of those that I have made and those unmade
Without mothers
The bone and flesh I knit to give me aid
But I have had too much
Of gene-reforging: I am overtired
Of all the powers I myself desired.
To always know without knowing as such
To feel this creeping madness in my mind
To find
That life and death
Meant less to me than once they might have done
And always fated now to author strife
To still their breath
To ever lose even when I have won
This life I'll seek, whatever Shape it takes
Will serve me well
Whether a hero's, clown's, a fool's, or rake's
I long, as one who's plumbed the depths of hell
For just a human life.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Thanks for that reminder; I hadn't picked it up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

The next update will probably be the last. That said, please suggest punny creation-based titles for a Geneforge 2 LP.

I've never played it, but:

A Thahd Thtate of Affairs
The Assassination of Battle Alpha by the Coward Essence Orb
Cryoa Havoc and Let Slip the Blessings of War
Have Your Drayk and Speed it Too
A Vlish Before Dying
Glahk 'n' Fyora High School Forever

• Locked thread