Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Solution loves the smell of fyoras in the morning!

Because Shapers are so noodly, I ended up making my own pile of loot. IIRC it ended up being mostly batons, thorns, and unique gear; I opted to up strength a bunch and cart the pods and spores around with me. I used Ellrah's Keep's entry hall as the storage grounds, though, because apparently I thought keeping stuff in an accessible central wilderness area seemed weird.

Got back into Geneforge 2. Playing as a Guardian or an Agent seems an interesting prospect, yet I can't help but feel like not playing a Shaper goes against the spirit of a series called Geneforge, where making your own army of horrible killbeasts is one of the central unique game mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

mauman posted:

A - they're all shapers. My agent in GF 1 definitely used shaping, just in a different manner than Solution. I actually was always annoyed that one of the classes was CALLED shapers. They should have called it Summoners or something else so this wouldn't be an issue.

B - Play a Guardian in GF 2, it's the only time that melee is actually good (as in really, unbelievably stupid good). Only time that poor class gets to shine at all :negative:

That's fair; I did mean 'Researcher' by it. Basically the feeling is that if a game's Big Neat Thing (other than interesting plotlines involving bioethics of wizards) is going to be making your own army of creations, it inclines me to play as the Class What Makes The Creatures Good.

GF2 has done some interesting stuff with creation leveling thus far. The difference between a creation that's been with you and leveling for a while and a new one is super noticeable now. I've had one creation with me since almost the beginning of the game, and they're like level 21 now, and have something like 50 HP and 4 of each stat above a freshly shaped member of the same species. It's gotten to the point where I've loaded the game because they died. I dunno if it's feasible to take the lil' guy all the way to endgame, but I'm sure going to try.

The scaling point costs on level up are taking some getting used to, though, boy howdy. What good are the cheap Shaping skills if they don't stay cheap?!

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
They give you an amulet that will ID you as being on-side to the non-renegade Sholtai, meaning that you can just waltz through their checkpoints instead of getting into a great deal of trouble!

edit: I just reread the update, and judging by what the Sholtai rep said, I appear to be full of crap (I didn't go this route in my playthrough). Then again, judging by those below me, maybe not?!

double edit: spoilers are gone. Sorry, Pool Is Closed!

vdate fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 10, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I guess it depends - is Solution looking for confirmation on the one boat she has information a)on being both on the island and b)intact? If yes then I guess she is hoping for the same answer?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I dunno, the PC's internal monologue is pretty clear on how hosed they think they are, what with the rogues, and the distressingly independent and heavily armed serviles, and so on. The canisters (after you use the first few basically out of 'what does this do' plus the tutorial messages telling you to) are your only means of getting the tools you need to survive. Well, as a Shaper/Researcher/Whatever anyway. Probably as an Agent, too? I guess the Guardian class could just become Beef Manhuge by dumping all their points into melee stats and spending their time running at things frothing at the mouth before carving them into Sholai/Rogue/Servile McNuggets. Even so, some canisters offer useful support spells for aspiring Beef Manhuge types. In any case I guess the option to break them would only actually appear once the PC knew the Sholai were on the island, since before that they'd have no reason to - the serviles die horribly if they use them, after all.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS SOLUTION WILL FINALLY BE FREE

TIME TO CONQUER THE EARTH

Seriously, though, it's good to see you back! Just today I found myself wondering if the Geneforge LP yet lived.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
There are other ways to get drayks, but they are admittedly pretty rad. I used them to carry me through late-game, as they have enough health to tank even a round of focus-fire from anything that isn't, like, four reaper turrets, they do good accurate ranged damage, and hit like a train on anything dumb enough to close to melee. The big downside is that they cost a ton of essence to shape. Even so, with high Intelligence you can have enough to maintain four-ish drayks by endgame and have a little left over for buffin' purposes.

(My guess is that Pool Is Closed has encountered JAIDS, because this LP was going far too smoothly.)

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
My bout with norovirus was intensely unpleasant, but I thought maybe it was just me being an enormous baby. At least it was over in a day or so. PAX pox must have been the longer-term one, then?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Holy crap, it's actually alive again! Good to see you back in the saddle, POOL IS CLOSED! The LP inspired me to go out and buy the Geneforge collection in the first place, so I'm glad to see it'll actually be finished.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I guess it comes down to two questions: Who do we gently caress over? Who will that serve?

A screws over the Shapers to the benefit of the serviles, the Sholai, and Solution, provided Trajkov is telling the truth. The question here is, why wouldn't he? We've seen and felt what the power of the canisters does to people who use them; if he cared only about power I think he'd be much the same as Goettsch right now. It seems safe enough to assume that he's on the level. This is the option for those who feel that the serviles deserve better than they've gotten and that Trajkov is a man who will give it to them.

B is the inverse; it screws over the Sholai (who lose their one sane leader not in exile), the Serviles, and quite possibly Solution herself. If we were a good Shaper, this would be the option we pick. If we were a good Shaper, I believe many things would already have gone differently. Still, Solution's made a point of maintaining plausible deniability of the 'I was only doing it to get off this stupid island' form; she might even be believed. This option seems to be for those who believe Solution a good enough Shaper, despite everything, that she would risk her life to do what her order deems right.

C screws everybody but Solution herself. She has already made her contempt for Goettsch clear; a proper Shaper he might have been once, but probably not any more, so she's certainly not siding with him. That being the case, this option offers little that B does not... unless one plans to do the truly mad thing and claim the Geneforge for oneself through trickery. This option really depends on what the thread believes the Geneforge is - if it's some kind of turbo-canister, that sounds like a one-way ticket on the Palpatine Express. If it isn't that, it raises the question of what it does do. This is the option for the power-mad, it's true, but also for those who think that Trajkov is not on the level and that the Geneforge might be harnessed to help the serviles (and are inclined to do so).

D has the potential to gently caress everybody - Goettsch, Trajkov, and more than likely the serviles themselves when the Shaper Council hears about all that we've seen and flips their collective poo poo, Solution, when the Council learns that she had the power to bring a decisive end to the conflict and didn't, and possibly the Shapers themselves assuming one of Goettsch and Trajkov get their ducks in a row and end up using the Geneforge in the interim. This is an actively terrible idea; it accomplishes nothing that one of the other three wouldn't do better, and the potential benefits don't seem to include particularly better odds of saving Solution's own hide. This is the option for the people who want to watch the world (or at least this subset of it) burn.

As for me, I believe the one consistent thread throughout Solution's Sucia sojourn has been her attachment to the shaped - her own creations, and the serviles. As per the thread's vote, she has kept her creations with her as long as she was able - they are certainly closer to children or beloved pets than tools, or even servants. She has also been surprised, over and over again, across the three factions, by the humanity of the serviles. After her confrontation with the ancient shade in the northwest of Sucia, she has learned that this humanity may once have been more literal than she would have ever thought possible prior to her journey. I do not believe she would ensure their deaths now, as B and likely D would do. She might have picked C once, but the Sholai she has seen on the way here have proved a more potent warning than she might have expected - she is in control, for now, but I do not believe she would expect her control to last through the power the Geneforge might give her.

I therefore vote A - it appears the only remaining reasonable choice is to throw in with the only remaining reasonable enhanced Sholai.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I forgot how much Fun the Vats are. :psyduck:

oh gently caress I'd managed to forget about that stupid place why did you remind me

Like, it seems like maybe a Guardian might have been able to explore them, a little bit, maybe, but they seem like they're basically off-limits to noodly nerds like Solution.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

Honestly I'd kind of pick D, just because... well.

You don't just know how to use a giant gene-rewriting machine that changes yourself at a fundamental level as a theory, right? Someone tried this. Someone had to.

We have no idea what happened to them, which seems odd, unless maybe this amazing forbidden power isn't all that useful when you get right down to it.

The book itself said 'nobody's used this thing yet; we haven't quite worked ourselves up to it.' Actually, more specifically:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

"It is unsure whether we will ever allow one to adopt the mantle of greater being and welcome the changes that the Geneforge will make. Who has the courage to allow themselves to be rewritten, remade?

"Should one ever accept the challenge and the danger, they must don the gloves. There are two pairs, though one of them was damaged in an early experiment and might not be repairable.

"Donning the gloves, the chosen shall caress the surface of the pool lightly, slowly, letting it works its magic a tiny bit at a time. Speed will be lethal. The body must adjust. Do not, whatever you do, put your hands far in the pool.

"Then, when the chosen is rewritten, the pool may do no more. The changing will be done and no more changing can have any effect. The user may swim in the pool safely. Such will be the power."

It seems like they'd just worked out how to safely use it (probably after losing a test subject to doing it without gloves, which is why they figured they had to have them). I'm guessing as soon as somebody from HQ saw any of this they stormed in going SHUT DOWN EVERYTHING before anybody had gotten the go-ahead to make themselves into a living god or whatever the hell it's supposed to remake you into.

More to the point, using the Geneforge is not necessarily baked into any of the options above; I'm inferring it into C but really it doesn't have to be. B and C both imply killing at least one of the people who wants to use the Geneforge; as PIC said, what to do about the other will be its own vote.

vdate fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 10, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
As you say, the thread has spoken. It will be fascinating to see what the path not traveled looks like, but for now Solution seems to have committed herself to the pursuit of power - else she'd not have asked about additional canisters this late in her stay on the island. If power she wants, she shall have a surfeit.

1- A - use the Geneforge as intended. We've already seen the consequences of not doing so, and we can likely infer it works due to it containing the same material as the canisters.

2 - B - Goettsch is mad. Were we to use the Geneforge and leave him here, we do not know that he would be unable to recreate those gloves. Time to mop up our last loose end.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Real ultimate murder has a tenuous lead over no genes, no masters, but again, this count was a quick one and there could be hanging chads.

Surely you mean 'hanging thahds', right?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
It's mostly true in this game that Shaped gear - even if it's stuff that doesn't normally seem like it should be organic, like swords or shields - is better than normal gear, right? By the same token, you haven't had strawberry jam until you've had Shaped strawberry jam.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh man. It's been a long time coming. I'm not really sure why, but my expectations for the ending of this game were lower than they should have been. Yeah, the writing has some technical issues from time to time, but there was enough sophistication in the presentation of the material that I probably should have expected more. So when I got impatient and gunned for the end, the last screen kinda blindsided me. For whatever reason, it elevated the ending sequence to just about my favourite in gaming, and I'll always remember the last line - 'You can not unring a bell.'

I hope you do take on Geneforge 2 at some point, POOL IS CLOSED, but even if you don't, thank you so much for an excellent LP anyway.

edit: Also I think that was idonotlikepeas again, not TooMuchAbstraction. I wouldn't want such hard work misattributed!

Also, yeah, that was kind of incredible, idonotlikepeas.

vdate fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 18, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Man, what a great LP this has been. And somehow we landed on the upbeat, happy ending first time around? How nice.

iirc most of the endings are surprisingly upbeat, for given values of 'upbeat'. I think you only get a so-called 'bad ending' if you do the fairly obvious stupid thing (which in this case is 'gently caress this, I'm outta here', fight your way through the Sholai at the dock, and just bail before resolving anything at all)?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Chronische posted:

Aww HELL yeah! I'm an Ornk! I.. oh.

Oh.

Poor Ornks.

Those little guys could really put a hurt on you at the very, very beginning. Too bad there's no super Ornk canister, huh?

I can't decide whether it's worse being an ornk or a living bomb.

(Also I remember somebody posting an ornk-master (i.e. ornks as their only creation) after-action-report so they're apparently marginally viable, if you're crazy. Maybe.)

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:sigh: I was also informed that I can't name our next protagonist Bathsalts.

By whom?

vdate fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 28, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Suspension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Some of them get different slides. I may have missed one? I'm stuck in Chicago OHare right now so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure that the slides are in the G1 folder and aren't encrypted or anything.

Is it just me, or does 'Chicago OHare' sound like Bucky's ancestor circa the Prohibition era?

• Locked thread