Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I kept reading "Barred Island" as "Barrel Island." It lacked a bit of the dramatic oomph it was intended, that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Will there be voting on which faction to be friends with? Because on the one hand, some options are more reasonable than others, on the other hand, when I played, I picked those reasonable options, so I'd be curious to see the fallout from the more outlandish ones. :v:

I also couldn't ever commit to a PURE Shaper. I always picked up some support and combat magic along the side. Because some of the support spells are basically necessary to take your Creations up to the level of power needed to get through later parts of the game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The main problem with no Endurance is that you end up save-scumming a good bit later on, because if just one badguy goes: "HANG ON, THERE'S A SHAPER BACK THERE" and decides to whap a fireball or arrow your way, it'll almost certainly one-shot you. Fire Shaping also felt pretty vital, no matter what else I invested in, Fire Shaping creatures always felt like the backbone of my shaped legions... while some creatures just felt terminally useless. I could also never tell if it was better to just roll with RAW NUMBERS or to actually inject quality into my Creations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm digging the writing so far and, well, hell with it, I'm voting:

Takers, because when I played, they were the faction I managed to piss off well before I even met them. Clearly, working with a cult of maniacs that want to destroy us can only turn out for the best!

(Also the loading screens for Geneforge 2 made me feel SO GUILTY whenever one of my Fyoras died)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I think my one annoyance with Leadership is that the game doesn't really tell you how much it amounts to, and there is, as far as I remember, no cap at the highest level at which its useful(i.e. the highest leadership check you'll ever need to pass), and no useful passive side effects(like cheaper prices or more effective Creations). So unless you've read a FAQ which hints at where you should leave off, it's easy to waste points on it if you're going for a highly diplomatic playthrough.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Clearly a future Artila should be named Shai'Hulud.

Also want to chime in and say I'm digging the writing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rockopolis posted:

Digging the LP so far!

In hindsight, it seems kind of odd that the Shapers created the Serviles with the ability to create more Serviles. Everything else had to come out of a pit, like the rogues.

Well, they're not the only things. Ornks, for instance, are created that way, too. Without allowing them to propagate as "natural" creatures, every single Servile would require a shaper committing Essence to prevent them from collapsing into a puddle of protoplasmic goo, is my understanding. So just making them as independent creatures and keeping some wands around that can dissolve them if they get uppity seems to get parsed as a better solution.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah, spore mines are a mess at times. In part because their exact detonation radius is kind of vague, not marked in any way, and in some places you need to squeeze past them, and the aforementioned differences in what'll set them off. There are some visual cues, sometimes, but they're not exactly massive. Still, Geneforge gets a bit of a pass because of its age.

I also want to point out that I LOVE the overworld map. It doesn't tell you everything straight off the bat, but it gives you enough clues that it makes you want to explore, dotting the map with a few structures, bridges, what's clearly a pass leading into the northwest mountains, a huge gate in the northeast, piers on the southeast and east side of the island, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love the religious thinking going on in Pentil, it's pretty well-written.

"If God wanted us to live in a house, he would've made us one. So I'm not sure its right to build our OWN houses..."

And also that the Pentil leadership isn't quite as "devout" as it pretends to be, happily ignoring a Shaper if he doesn't fit in with their own religious dogma because "then he clearly isn't a TRUE shaper!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Whybird posted:

Well, in fairness, if they didn't take that stance then basically anybody could waltz into town and say "Hi guys, I'm totally a Shaper so you should give all of your things to me now." Just because they're loyal doesn't mean they're stupid.

This is an "anybody" who looks physically unlike serviles and also marches around with a pack of loyal creations that he could demonstrate conjuring from nothing in the middle of town. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The only Geneforge game I really couldn't get myself to play through was 3, it just felt like such a big step back from the others, for some reason.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It's funny that I got named as literally the only type of Creation I never found much use for. :v:

May you have better luck with Roamers than I did!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Aw yis, Clawbugs! It's a shame I'm already a roamer, I'd have wanted to be a clawbug. All clickity clack and snap snap.

I forget, though, can clawbugs poison with their attacks?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I usually just put some light techno on in the background when I play, the pure silence is a bit much at times.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Zeniel posted:

Serviles seem to have a long grey snout like an anteater. Other than that, they're basically squat humanoids.

The servile "snout," plus their hunched-over appearance, uh, always gave me a mental image similar to some racist caricature of a Jew. Probably not what Vogel was going for, but the "nose" and posture just made me unable to imagine anything much different.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Buron's baton breeding was always funny to me, I couldn't help but imagine the equivalent of someone putting a pair of wrenches in a "romantic" situation(say, a mock candle-lit dinner with roses, etc.) and encouraging them to make out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

mauman posted:

I mean, I'm obviously willing to look over these shortcomings since I, you know, play these games. Doesn't change the fact that my points ARE VALID.

Well, no, if it's not a big enough issue to keep you from paying for the game... then it's not a big enough issue to matter to Vogel's calculations. :v: So by that exact metric, it's not a valid point.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Maintain

Fyoras are for petting, not dissolving.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

EDITED: gently caress it. Let's go with 5. If I kept a vote for the Takers, joining with the Awakened might win. :v:

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 6, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

RIP me.

Also really interesting to see more of the Taker content because, as mentioned, I'd managed to piss them off before I even really met them, on my own playthrough. :v: I also seem to recall that it was reasonably easy to get into a fight with the guards by accident, even without any dialogue mishaps.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I remember being really annoyed at this next area, pylons suuuuuuuuuck.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

There really isn't any sort of graceful way to take down pylons, I seem to remember that occasionally there are levers or power spirals that allow you to disable some of them, but goddamn, it's rarely possible to reach them without fighting your way through half of the goddamn pylons it can disable.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I wonder if Tro is defective and rather than simply absorb and start over the shaper(s) in charge of him put him on some useless posting.

Or maybe the Sholai came through here and lobotomized him or something similar, to prevent him being of any use to others.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One thing I appreciate about Geneforge 1 is how much of the gameworld is optional, either for the purpose of MORE POWER, MORE GEAR or just MORE FLUFF. I think that a good fourth of the game's areas you can completely ignore, if you want.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Chronische posted:

Oh god, the CRESCENTS and the PILLARS. That "puzzle" is a real pain in the rear end.

I don't think I ever properly solved the whole thing, so here's hoping I get to at least see it all done.

THAT one I needed a FAQ for, personally.

But I also remember some stuff in the upper northwest that I never quite figured out, possibly because I approached it from the wrong angle or broke it by destroying something in the wrong order. So I'm looking forward to Solution being less of a dumbass than I was.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Jesus christ dude you don't need to do that.

Anyway OP, your fanfic at least is perfectly in style with the LP and is way less tiresome than a lot of the others. I'd deffo put it in the high quality basket as it doesn't turn the game and make it all about you, but adds to the game itself, as a good LP should do.

Just echoing here that while I generally don't like LP's that add too much original writing(outside of character dialogue), i.e. "fanfic," I'm really digging yourself. Nothing you've written's felt out of place with the setting or Vogel's own writing. So if you feel you're writing a fanfic, please continue writing a fanfic. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

mauman posted:

Yeah, this ain't really a fanfic.

You want a LP that turned into a Fanfic? Look at Bobbin Threadbare's QfG 4 LP. THAT was a fanfic.

Bobbin Threadbare's QfG LP was also fantastic in all ways.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is the triple-cross also going to involve murdering any of the factions? Or just ripping them off thoroughly and then scampering into the wilderness with your arms full of loot and fyoras?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

mauman posted:

And yeah, science fantasy would be a good term for it I suppose. And I definitely agree that the bio-engineering aspect of tools and such is better than bog-standard tech. Makes the setting much more interesting. All things being equal though, once you get through the fantasy-like surface, I would say that this series leans more towards sci-fi.

I'd say the reason Geneforge is more like sci-fi than fantasy is because of its focus on social issues. The central aspect of Geneforge is essentially: "You've got unlimited bio-engineering power, what will it gently caress up and change if you use it? How will it affect society? What is the status of creations? How should they be treated? How will it change the mindsets of their owners?" And so on. That all smacks to me much more of what would be central points in a sci-fi story than what would be central points in a fantasy story.

Of course, Geneforge ALSO has Fantasy elements. But they feel more like their purpose is to give the player something personally investing and interesting to do while they watch and formulate opinions on the sci-fi issues.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

An Artila Skin Tunic sounds like a remarkably gross thing. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Good to have the LP back on line again. I was missing it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I remember those ghost tunnels as remarkably frustrating, barely two steps before BOOP, MORE GHOSTS. And even when you'd cleaned out all the ghosts, BAM, ghosts coming out of hidden places in the walls!

I forget whether Geneforge 1 has any locations with infinite enemies, but that place definitely FELT like it had them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

This is the part of the island I'm most hyped for.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I seem to remember this being the part of the game that gave me the most wipes, aside from the goddamn pylons down in the southeast.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sweet, more minions to create. I vote for us getting some clawbugs online next time there's a change in the ranks, because clickety clackety bugs are cute.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does Solution have total Sholai language comprehension at this point? Or, at least, as much as its possible to gain? I seem to recall that it's three lessons to gain "mastery."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

D. Solve the crescent stone mystery

Also, assuming you had the power to NOT be blown into chunks by walking down the wrong corridors in the temple, do they contain anything useful? Canisters or the like?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I've always been a bit confused by Necromancy/Undeath in the Geneforge games. Because it seems to waver between "THERE ARE ACTUAL GHOSTS AND poo poo AND THEY'RE ANGRY" and "oh wait lol its just ADVANCED MAGIC, these are actually still alive and in awful pain, bet u feel bad now."

Is it ever actually confirmed whether there's any REAL undeath?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

God, gently caress the Shaper Crypt and its infinite respawning enemies. I think this was about where the game broke me of my need to explore every corner of every area and made me just want to FINISH it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of Mind Nutrients, how many jars are actually available through the game, and how many are needed to revive every mind? Is it possible to get enough for every "hungry" mind or do you actually have to make a decision on who to revive(beyond the immediate of not having found any more nutrients yet, but maybe having two hungry minds found)?

• Locked thread