Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
"You know, if I allow these specially sculpted killing machines to breed and give them enough intelligence to be autonomous, I can totally slack off of guard duty and just let them take over."

-Apprentice Shaper, Deceased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Chocolate Chunk posted:

"If we let them breed themselves and give them a rudimentary social structure they'll be able to plan dig sites themselves. Think of how efficient our mines and tunnels and other infrastructure projects will be! Release a couple and come back a few weeks later to see the work already done. There's no way this could wrong!"

Pretty much. As an engineer with a love of automation, I would probably be that moron that makes something like a clawbug.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

:five:

They're creations and you'll make them serve you one way or another. In addition, as a meta-reason, it allows us to see the most about each faction and how to pull off a triple cross.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

KirbyKhan posted:

I really am in love with the Takers. They know the score and are reacting in the only manner I could see myself in if I was in a servile's shoes. In this universe freedom is never granted by the shapers, equality would never be given.

This is an examination of a slavery. The language that shaper society uses is disgustingly parallel to the antebellum South. For voting I would think it would be more satisfying if this went less 12 Years and more Django.

Edit: 3B for clarity

It's an interesting parallel because in this case, the Shapers literally created the serviles to be, well, servile. There's no ambiguity or empty rhetoric about them being created to serve; their creators are still alive, still making them, and their purpose is still to serve.

In that sort of scenario, should there be equality and why? I liken it to the more modern/near-future/future sci-fi with sapient robots; they clearly were created and their creators clearly still exist, so there is no question as to what their intentions are.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

vdate posted:

I suppose, not having any knowledge of what Shapers look like, they Sholtai might have concluded that anything that can, well, Shape, is a Shaper. So hell, you might be right. Then again, they knew enough to fetch you, so maybe not?

There are statues all over the place, so it's likely they went off of that.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Glaahks. I want to know more about them, and they seem neat.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The game's really taunting you with all those used canisters. The things were nowhere nearly as densely-packed on your half of the island.

There's also the possibility that the Sholai are making canisters. It would fit with the whole divide between warrior/mage if they can arbitrarily make more canisters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

The timeline is what's important here: I don't remember if it's ever specified, but it's clearly implied that the Sholai have only been at Sucia Island for a few years tops, probably less. That's not even remotely enough time for the Sholai to figure out how to create Canisters. Remember that the available information is (a) in a foreign language, (b) highly technical, (c) scattered around various places around the island, and (d) might not be complete. It's also worth noting that the available information probably skips over most of the basics because presumably you'd have to be fairly well trained before you got to be part of a critical, expensive research project - whereas the Sholai are starting with basically zero understanding of the theory behind Shaping.

It's also not clear what raw materials are actually required to make Canisters so it's possible that stuff doesn't even exist on an island that's been abandoned for like 200+ years.

On the other hand, if it's as simple as churning out a preset configuration, it might be possible. I doubt they could make novel canisters that have never been made before, but I think it would be plausible to churn out standardized canisters.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We can definitely kill both of these jerks, but I figure Goettsch deserves his own vote.

Ah, so if we vote to betray Trajkov here, we can vote to betray Goettsch later?

Edit: VVV Sounds good. C it is for Trajkov, and I'll vote the same way when we meet Goettsch.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 10, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Random_Username posted:

I'm going to assume whether or not we use the geneforge is a separate choice? I read C as betraying both sides and using the device, but clearly some are reading it as betraying both sides and destroying it. Might just be me misreading it.

If the Geneforge choice is already on the table, I think it makes more thematic sense to use it. Unlike future games, there's no limit on canister use, and we've used every canister unwaveringly. I think the point of no return was a long time ago, and we kept going. Whether we're aware of our own corruption or not, I don't think we'd want to stop. I don't think we'd be able to.

And, honestly, it seems a bit forced to turn away from the "evil" option right at the climax. It's a cheap way to "redeem" a character that might not deserve it, and it tends to be boring. We can all imagine how a penitent Solution who sees the error in her ways at the last moment might act. I want to see what our Solution, Machiavellian, paranoid, and alone would become.

There will be more votes. In this case, we're just voting on what to do to Trajkov specifically, and we could later decide to deal with Goettsch differently, and then Genefore I imagine will be an entirely separate vote as to whether we use it, leave it be, or destroy it (the Geneforge vote is speculation on my part; it's possible that there are more options that I'm not aware of, but those three seem logical).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

AB

REAL ULTIMATE POWER and KILL GOETTSCH.

This. We worked hard for this and going back to Shaper society will get us killed. Take it all for ourselves and build a new society on this island. It's ours now, whether everyone else here acknowledges it or not.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Wow. Yeah, I'd regret running out on the island early, but it does a good job of not feeling spiteful there.

Honestly it doesn't make much sense though. The player has clearly learned shaping skills in an incredibly short period of time and displays talents that are far beyond an apprentice. That should lend credence to their words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

ulmont posted:

The difference may be more obvious in clock (2 English and 2 American pronunciations here), but I can barely make out the difference either way.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/clock

I have never in my life heard an American pronounce "clock" the way they say that we pronounce it. I've only ever heard it the English way.

• Locked thread