Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

It's hard to say. Geneforge 1 is really rough in addition to being really difficult, more so than Geneforge 2 imo. You can see where things need the later games' refinement, and it makes it a bit frustrating. Fine games, just very... rough and old-fashioned.

Also: I object to calling the sound in the Spiderweb Software games bad, even if they have very little music. They have some really great sound effects, and to dismiss those entirely is a shame. i love the noises in these games

Augh, I think I need to go start up a new game myself, maybe take my "gently caress Shapers" stance further than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

My vote goes to Neutral for now and a long-term goal of gently caress the Shapers.

How you take that last bit is up to you.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I do enjoy Solution's internal :kimchi: over her terrible little murderbeasts. :3: It adds charm to her character, I think! And I nth enjoying the writing so far.

I offer Like Clockwork and Rudje as names for any future fire shaping creations.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Shaper apprentices are not themselves Shaped in any way, as I recall. They're just people who fit whatever the criteria for acceptance into the Fantasy Illuminati is.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Well, if they hear about these dang Rogue Serviles they'll probably go full Emu War on them. :v:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

The world itself isn't post-apocalyptic so much as this specific island is, which is why it's been Barred. Going into why would be spoilers, but we're getting close to the point where you can figure it out I think? Later games have major regions that are much less desolate, although still harsh since otherwise there's no point in your Pokemon collection. :j:

And yes, while the Shapers are right to be paranoid about creations, they're still assholes for other things they do. Like abandoning the Serviles that so relied on them.

E: Speaking of serviles, what are they even supposed to look like, anyway? I've always pictured them as avian or insectoid, but I don't think they have any official are for them.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, I'm not sure what to vote for, either. I do like the idea of maintaining, just as a "hold on to humanity" thing, but the Shaper thing to do would be to absorb them and make better ones. Both would be completely reasonable for Solution to do. Both would be interesting from a writing standpoint. I might just flip a coin or something.

My personal feelings on my creations are more Fire Emblem than Nuzlocke run, so I fully acknowledge that I don't have the most unbiased perspective on this. :v:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

1B, because Servant Minds are cute little blobcritters and I'd rather they not die. Also, the Awakened are unlikely to stab you to death in your sleep.

One of the Taker options would be fine, but they're literal starving dirt farmers who want to take on the world's primary military with their bare goddamn hands. It's admirable, but stupid.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I really want to comment on "What even the gently caress is a Geneforge anyway" chat, but I know spoilers that would ruin everything and I don't know how to egg on speculation. :saddowns: Just know that I think it's a very good theory!

And yeah, all narrative LPs are fanfic to some degree; it's just the nature of the beast. I have a hard time telling apart what you added from the actual game writing, so it's not like it's bad fanfiction either.

e: Seconding the recommendations for the White Knight Chronicles and Drakengard LPs. They are extremely good reads.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 16, 2016

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's likely that if they did remove information it would be through the murder of those who knew about it. That said, I do feel like it was just a case of the interim Barring lasting for much longer than anticipated, since our protagonist hadn't even heard of Sucia before washing ashore. Two centuries is plenty of time for the general public to lose information about an isolated, Barred island.

(I haven't gotten much farther than this in the game; the encounters kept killing me even on easy because of bad skill allotment and poor positioning. I'm just working on general knowledge of Shaper ruthlessness/pragmatism.)

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

mauman posted:

Considering what the "magic" actually is, I find this to be a very fitting post.

I looked back a few pages and found out the "scrolls of life" aka genes had already been mentioned, Shapers have been doing genetic mutation for a while and not actually realizing it. Definitely a sci-fi thing :downs:

I don't know if it had been mentioned yet, but Geneforge was supposed to be straight up sci-fi at some point with ray-guns and everything. But Vogel wasn't sure how well balanced new tech (like guns) would match up with old tech (swords and magic) so he changed the guns to the batons (among other things). Honestly, I think it was a good change. I always liked the concept of living projectile weapons, it's unique and interesting.

They also throw fireballs with their minds and create creatures from nothing (since I doubt Solution is carrying around several pounds of life goop). There is clearly magic in the setting, it just has a firm stance on being very science-y in how it handles it. It's more science fantasy than pure scifi.

I'm really glad that we have the batons and living doors and the like instead of typical scifi rayguns and stuff. It makes it stand out in the mire of aesthetically identical sci-fi games, in addition to just being more interesting and better fitting the setting.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

rip roamer-Like Clockwork, it never scored

Now I need to actually draw that scene of it and the fyoras playing catch before the end of the LP, it's hard for a corpse to do cuter things. :v:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

As someone who died from using the baths, I can say that it does have unique dialogue. Not much, but it's a good bit of prose.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Damage floors are always the worst in any game. It's a constant, like death and taxes.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

Cryoas and AF. Because we need new lizardpuppies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

I don't think so, but I've only completed two of the games, and that was a long time ago. I may have forgotten or missed something.

• Locked thread