Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Destroy the Geneforge and abandon Goettsch. Let him fight it out with the Sholai in Trajkov's absence. Without his stabilizing presence, the Sholai would take over the island, realize there was nothing more to be done, and leave. As it is they're "bottled up" for the moment and ready for the Shapers to move in and deal with them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The best thing about making strawberry jam is the little crust of dried jam around the inside edge of the pot. It's like a superpowered fruit leather.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congratulations, POOL IS CLOSED!

And yeah, like Manxome says, that was considerably more optimistic than I was expecting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

(Well, maybe Nethergate and the original Avernums, but I understand those were forgotten for a reason)

In addition to what MagusOfStars said, the first Avernums were also pretty awkward from an engine standpoint. They were Vogel's first isomorphic 3D games, and it's clear he hadn't figured out stuff like how to make combat engaging with bigger arenas (for example, all AoE spells got replaced by simple multitargeted bolt spells, like the Death Arrows spell in Exile), how to handle hills (which were constantly making it hard to tell which tiles were adjacent to which), how to handle line-of-sight, etc. There were some odd choices in the skill system as well: you could find "hidden" skills which, once found, could be trained in like any other skill. These included one skill that made literally all of your spells better, and another that gave melee attacks against humanoid targets a huge damage boost. If you knew the skills existed, you'd want to hoard skillpoints for them; if you didn't, you'd be kicking yourself when you unlocked them.

Basically, it's a degraded copy of Exile with prototypes of some functionality that would get refined in the Geneforge series and later reremakes. If you want the Exile experience, play Exile. If you want the smoother UI, play the reremakes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You hit the emoticon limit in that post, unfortunately. You can work around that by uploading the :smith: and :v: emotes to lpix and then using img tags; I had to do similar for my Angband LP.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I mean, if we're going with the bell title, shouldn't the protagonist be named Graham or something? :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Congratulations on finishing the LP, and thank you! This was a treat to read.

Are there any game-mechanical consequences of using the Geneforge? Skill boosts, unlimited essence, or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Whybird posted:

Yes, one of the great things about using the Geneforge is that Jeff Vogel didn't chicken out of using the game mechanics to show you how ridiculously overpowered you'd become. After everybody on the island had stood in your way to make you play their games before they'd help, it's so cathartic to blaze through and murder everybody.

Which I guess kind of makes the endings' point for them, really.

To be honest, most blank-slate videogame protagonists end up being as sociopathic as the game engine allows. Witness how long it took for Precipitate to stoop to petty theft.

• Locked thread