Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Oooh, how exciting! I've been loving the other Spiderweb Software LPs (and been blasting through them). What's more, they finally inspired me to load and play through Geneforge myself. So my being just a little ahead of the LP (for now) makes it all the more interesting to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Geneforge is such a cool series and I was glad to learn that Vogel plans to remake it, since previous discussion made remakes of this series sound vanishingly unlikely. Vogel's said he's slowing down (a combo of age, health, and tech learning curve factors), but I really hope he carries through on a remake. Last I saw, he's in the process of looking for a new engine that will meet his dev needs. Hopefully he finds what he's looking for.

Actually, let me link his blog: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/ It's a thought-provoking read for anyone interested in small businesses in the creative industry.

If you have any questions you don't see answers for on the very excellent official forums, lemme know. Are you playing as the Shaper class?

Even though I do boring commercial software instead of fun creative software, I still love his blog. It's nice to hear insight from someone who's been around the block a few times and is able to hold on to the niche he's carved out.

And yes, I'm playing as a shaper. And I've found some basic strategic direction has made the game much easier than the last time I tried it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Factions are a tough call for me. I say stay neutral for now, and we can do otherwise if it makes sense later.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Stupid javelins.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Some new names for when idhrendur needs replacement: hubior (dog-servant) or naurbior (fire-servant). The need to replace your critters is a sad thing. It ultimately forces you to be kinda heartless.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Also, I went and checked the script for the woods. While I see the line displayed for the ambush that wasn't, I see no indications that the ambush ever was in the code.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Maintain

Sure, replacing them would be efficient, but efficiency isn't everything. The fact that we made them and that they're developing personalities suggests we owe them some level of care. Not killing them out of hand is a good place to start.

(Also, I like having one named after me)

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I am not a fan of Syros. Solution's reaction is appropriate. Maybe we'll have to come back by once more powerful to put it down.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

1B. This'll end badly, but if the sage was right, we can't morally support the position of the Obeyers. And the Takers are just crazy.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

G1's ending chart is much more complicated than any of the subsequent games. Unfortunately, I don't have a good way of ripping all the text - it's not in the scripts as far as I can tell, which means it's in the .dat files I think, and I don't know how to make those human-readable. So getting the rest of the endings after we achieve our narrative's ending will require some bonus updates.

The strings command for Windows does a good job of extracting the text (though it leaves a bunch of stuff you don't care about): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/strings.aspx
The relevant text seems to be in the executable (I was trying to not read it, so I'm not 100% certain).

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I am surprised that the creature named for me continues to survive.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I've actually been surprised at how well the old team is doing. I struggled a lot more with the team I was aggressively replacing. Of course, I was forgetting the lessons from my years of Spiderweb Software experience and not using any support spells…

But yeah, every encounter now I expect Idhrendur to eat it and he just keeps pulling through.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The scripts don't indicate anything for Zygan other than his having a name.

And I completely missed that I could open those groves in the stone circle area. Guess I'm heading back there next time I play!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That fight at the Obeyer outpost was my first really hard fight of my playthrough. I think I had to go back to an earlier save and avoid the outpost for awhile.

In this playthrough, we might have saved that servile if we treated our creations as tools instead of pets. Then again, we might not have cared if they lived out died if we started looking at the world that way.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 22, 2016

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I had the hardest time with the ghost gates. Probably because I still hadn't started to use my items to help out. Easier to explore elsewhere, level a few times, and come back.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'm honestly surprised idhrendur lasted as long as it did.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

South Workshop, Crescent Stones

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Welcome back!

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

C, then kill G, then destroy the Geneforge. It's like the One Ring, the mere desire for it, for any reason, is corrupting.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

CB. It won't even come close to cleaning up the mess this island has become, but it'll be a start.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thank you for the wonderful LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Thank you for this LP, and I'll be reading the next.

• Locked thread