Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Just caught up on the thread, and wow - I'm enjoying the writing and additions to the story. Assuming the interaction is otherwise similar to how Exile/Avernum were, it looks like you're sinking plenty of good work into it.

I also happen to have this game because I got the Spiderweb megapack a year or so ago. I think I'm going to have to fire up an XP VM and play along - I've dismissed some of the older games (lack of a proper windowed mode drives me up the wall,) but it wouldn't be the first oldschool game I've played.

I look forward to seeing where things go from here - I'll definitely be following this one.

Oh. Also, add "Epsilon" to the name list for an Alpha if you get to create one. It seems properly silly. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Thank you! It's been fun so far. Also, the dialogue is mostly from the game! I don't want to overstate my contributions. I've added some original dialogue and framing to make those sections flow. (:cripes: I am writing fanfic interspersed with screenshots.)

I'm noticing that as I play through the first few bits. What you're doing is still cool. :cheers:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I added some instructions to the second post on how to run this game in 32-bit compatibility mode; if you're on Windows, this is a significantly easier method than using a virtual machine or emulator. Thanks to the tech megathread, I'm working out how to make windowed mode in dxwnd livable -- if I manage that, I'll include the configuration information too.

I've actually got a VM already built for running some other 16-bit games (one of which I -might- try and LP, except for the fact that it has practically no story to speak of?)

I'll totally take that config info when you get it though - the only problem I have with the VM (other than the tiny loving screen size on Geneforge :argh:) is that it seems to require mouse capture to work right. I really don't like mouse capture.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Weirdly enough, your username shows up as "etmoonshade" when you're the last poster in the thread. I wonder why?

SA being derpy? I'd literally just changed my name (since I'm a noob and hadn't realized I could have a space in the username itself rather than it being a separate field you'd change :downs:)

placid saviour posted:

Let's not forget the Planescape: Torment narrative LP.

Years later, I still think about that LP regularly. Although a big portion of that is the game itself as well, of course.

This is high on the list of LPs that got me to play games - although I never did finish it.

edit: Oh, and an honorable mention while I'm at it for the Arcanum LP, since it felt like it ran on the same/a similar engine.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

MagusofStars posted:

I like mauman's prof's second definition though: A soft sci-fi is generally more concerned about the actual plot than about the technology. Technology exists primarily to make the storyline possible; it's not really an intent in and of itself.

As a fan of classic sci-fi that's mostly towards the "hard" end of the Mohs scale, this makes me wonder if there's anyone who can come up with a counterexample to this definition.

I've always stuck to the definition of "hard" being mostly accurate (or at least mostly consistent,) and "soft" being inaccurate (or mostly inconsistent,) but the definition given also seems like it's pretty true.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Is that just that they heal a fixed number of HP, so as our HP levels up it takes more to top us off?

This was my theory, since the healing crystals do (in my limited playtime) only heal a fixed amount. I rather liked the reference.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

No real opinion on creations, but:

Solve the Crescent Stone Mystery or Track down Goettsch. I like mysteries and lore. :3:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

thetruegentleman posted:

I'm glad the people here name dropped Nakar; his Ultima LP's have been extremely entertaining. A shame he didn't do Pagan, but then again, Pagan leads to Ultima 9, and Ultima 9 is depressingly bad. How it has even two and a half stars on GOG is beyond me.

Ultima ended after Serpent Isle. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

No, really. U8 was terrible platforming around a decent story, and U9 just shat on most of the cool story that Ultima had established up until then.

As for the LP here - I'm really looking forward to seeing how meeting Trajkov plays out. I kind of got distracted from my playthrough, and it turns out I'm having trouble dealing with the interface when it's in a VM window :v:

Really though. We've got this person whose story has been built up so much... I'm almost expecting a plot twist where he's a feeble old man who wants the Geneforge for fountain-of-youth type things rather than "world domination" or some other stereotypically evil plan. All the "evil" attributed to him is actually his minions doing it while using his name and/or legend to provide some legitimacy to it.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Viking_Helmet posted:

So about that horrible technological failure...

You mean expected technological failure because POOL IS CLOSED tempted fate by saying it? :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I actually got really, really sick the same day I last posted! And now I'm making last minute preparations for an extended overseas trip, so I probably won't be able to update until I return at the end of the month.

Basically, PAX plague is real and norovirus sucks, never get them back to back. It was only slightly less awful than a super flu. :(

Yeeeeeeah, con flu is evil. I'm not looking forward to getting it here in a couple of weeks.

Hope you're feeling better, and hope you enjoy your trip. I'll look forward to the next update when you're back!

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I got bronchitis in Langenselbold, Germany one Christmas if that counts.

I've been getting my butt kicked health wise since winter for some reason. Its just been an oddly severe chain of infections and injuries for no clear reason. But now that the weather is warming up here in New England, maybe some time outdoors will help put all that to rest for a while!

Anyway I'm not promising an imminent update because each time I do, I catch something hella dire. :colbert:

To be fair, I think most of us are just happy that you're A: Okay, and B: not abandoning the LP entirely. This has been a wild ride, and I think all of us would love to see the finish you've got in store for us.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

StrixNebulosa posted:

:woop:

I am thrilled to see this back! Hope you're feeling better!

Time to reread the entire LP. :getin:

I was going to say the same thing, but... quote works too.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Am I correct in my guess that you intend to show off all the endings eventually?

Either way, A seems to be the most in-character AND most logical choice, at least if we take Trajkov at face value.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's my intention. However, there will only be one canon ending for our purposes, and it's up to the thread to define it.

Ah-hah. You're trying to do a continuing character like berryjon's Exile threads?

Art. :allears:

And soon, Solution :allears:

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 10, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I forgot how much Fun the Vats are. :psyduck:

:supaburn:Fun:supaburn: I take it? I look forward to your pain. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

PurpleXVI posted:

Just another three votes and it's even! I like how basically everyone wants Goettsch dead, though.

Goettsch is just a bit crazy though. I suspect A and B are ultimately the same choice, just with a difference in how much talk happens beforehand.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Congrats on finishing the main part of the LP, POOL IS CLOSED. :cheers:

It was an awesome ride.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

mauman posted:

Oh, you want me to remove my post?

eh, I'll edit it just in case if you want it to be a surprise.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Nah don't worry about it!

I don't know what the outcome you're talking about is, but to be fair, I think that "respected but kinda scary Shaper" makes for more interesting future story anyway.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

mauman posted:

Then prepare to be disappointed if Pool ever starts a G2 LP.

Unless he radically changes the story I suppose.

I believe POOL IS CLOSED is a she. With that said though, hey - berryjon did it with Exile 2/3. I don't see why PIC couldn't do it with future installments of Geneforge. :v:

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:v: "What is your purpose here?"

Shut up, Iolo.

... wait, poo poo, wrong LP.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want to let you know: thanks to this LP I'm now playing Avadon, and might grab Avernum while the sale's ongoing.

Obligatory link to the super big bundle of Spiderweb games.

I'm not sure if I'm sad or not that I've already got this bundle.

I really should play some more of them though.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I was briefly useful! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

If we're not carrying over Solution, the next protagonist should be named Precipitate. :v:

• Locked thread