Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
Great to see this game being run. I always seem to hit a wall about 1/3rd of the way into a Geneforge game. I've always found them much more difficult than the other Spiderweb games. I'm really looking forward to a successful playthrough, for once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I haven't played Nethergate, but of the rest of the Spiderweb games, I definitely agree that the Geneforge games are the hardest. At least that's the case at normal difficulty; I've never run any on max. I maintain that part of it's the need for quality of life improvements.

So maybe I'm just a weakling but I also found Nethergate (and Resurrection) to be pretty tough as well. Just seems like sometimes I can't crack the Spiderweb code, even after playing the games for basically my entire life. And then the old timers on the Spiderweb forums talk about their singleton torment runs and I'm like man.

To be honest I did get through GF4 but at a certain point I knocked it down to casual difficulty, and I also liberally cheated gold into the game because after like 15 years of Spiderweb games I don't regard "steal everything that isn't nailed down" as really fun anymore. Which is why I'm delighted that you're doing it for me this time!

Also I will also vote for Neutral at this time.

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
You've already gotten further than I ever did in GF1! Everything after this point is new to me.

1. The 2nd person perspective is working really well. I think it's advantaged by the fact that in the GF games you don't have a party.

2. I think the game starts off pretty strong by dropping you all alone onto the island with only rogue creations (sentient and otherwise) to keep you busy in the first sections.

3. I was reflecting on the fact that this game came out in 2001? and created the setting, tone, and themes for 4 more games over ~7 years. Some of the quests and writing and general tropes of this game are so characteristic of all Spiderweb games, but this game really frames the entire GF series.

4. I'm very interested to see how canister use develops in this game

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

Roobanguy posted:

Geneforge is such a cool series, but its incredibly hard to go back and play them. I've only beaten 1 and 5 because of it.

Yeah 4 is cool as poo poo too but even that is a little hard to play imo

Love the narrative and all these updates btw. :thumbsup:

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
I think they should be absorbed

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

Destroy these rogue creations

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Thanks, guys! I really wasn't fishing for compliments but I will hoard them all anyway. Just like I hoard spore pods and crystals. :smaug: And also thanks for getting us to a new page. (I haven't changed my posts per page setting because it'll ruin all the page snipes in my favorite megathreads, truly the best of all reasons.)

Yeah this is definitely a high-quality LP and you're updating at a great pace. I always look forward to your posts and they come often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmar
Aug 19, 2004
yarg
I always thought of magic in Vogel's games as being a science. In Avernum games, there are libraries and organizations devoted to the study of magic and experimentation. In the Geneforge games, it's still magic, but the Shapers study it and apply order to it like it is just another natural science. In Avernum, you can take a character with no magical skill and spend some money and skill points and suddenly she has spell points and an array of basic spells. Her INT might be low, so the spells might be weak and her mana pool small, but I think it goes to show that in Vogel's worlds, with some time and study, even a dolt can learn some magic.

Another common theme that Vogel loves to revisit is the consequences of unfettered power, on the world and on its wielders. It is a thread through many of his games. In Geneforge, easy access to power literally corrupts - we have seen this in how Solution's temper flares easily now, and how sometimes she spends her time with her head in the clouds, thinking of the serviles around her as tools for her own ends. Our RP choices have left her feeling guilty about how her creations are killed for her sake, but it's really easy to imagine a colder Solution that's less concerned with the wellbeing of her servants.

• Locked thread