Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inverness posted:

I never played the first game. How much of an improvement over it is the second?

It's very different. Marcus is 90-100℅ less murder-y than Aiden, and most missions in 2 are about infiltration (usually as a robot) rather than mass-murder of 'fixers'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Grog posted:

Ubisoft have excluded various outfit DLCs from their season passes or gold editions at least a couple of times recently. I don't think it's exclusive to Ubisoft, though. It seems kind of scuzzy to me, since you'd expect a season pass to include the whole "season" of content, but I guess not.

Hmm. Well, I guess it's only a bunch of outfits- if it actually affected gameplay I'd be more pissed. I already have a ton of DLC outfits due to UPlay and redeeming codes, so I'm not gnashing at the teeth for more clothing variety.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Let me tell you about the AC Benedict Arnold DLC...

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me tell you about the AC Benedict Arnold DLC...

Oh yeah, the story DLC that 360 players never saw because of Playstation exclusivity. Fantastico, Ubisoft.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I was thinking about getting this so I watched the first half hour or so of gameplay. The gameplay part seems fine but I have a question: How quickly do the people you meet at the comic shop get killed off and replaced with adults?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

GoneRampant posted:

Oh yeah, the story DLC that 360 players never saw because of Playstation exclusivity. Fantastico, Ubisoft.

No one saw it because AC 3 was terrible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I was thinking about getting this so I watched the first half hour or so of gameplay. The gameplay part seems fine but I have a question: How quickly do the people you meet at the comic shop get killed off and replaced with adults?
2 is a lot more light-hearted than 1 and pretty dedicated to maintaining the "internet Robin Hood fighting the Man" tone all the way through.

If you really want a significant spoiler: that only happens to one of them

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sindai posted:

2 is a lot more light-hearted than 1 and pretty dedicated to maintaining the "internet Robin Hood fighting the Man" tone all the way through.

If you really want a significant spoiler: that only happens to one of them

Is it the one that wears a mask and is all "Yeah dude! Hackin' maaan!" and is it right after the first mission? I just don't have the stomach to listen to that guy.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

No one saw it because AC 3 was terrible.

It's the only AC i've never finished, well except for the first one and Unity which I never played

Is it the one that wears a mask and is all "Yeah dude! Hackin' maaan!" and is it right after the first mission? I just don't have the stomach to listen to that guy.

It's all a big fun fight the man hackin' time you'll have to just roll with it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Wandle Cax posted:

It's all a big fun fight the man hackin' time you'll have to just roll with it

I think I'll pass on this one then. I'd much rather be The Man than interact with those punk kids.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wandle Cax posted:

It's the only AC i've never finished, well except for the first one and Unity which I never played

I've finished all the ACs (minus Rogue since I only had PS4 at the time) so obviously have a high tolerance, but 3 was the most difficult to get through, and I did no side missions.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've finished all the ACs (minus Rogue since I only had PS4 at the time) so obviously have a high tolerance, but 3 was the most difficult to get through, and I did no side missions.

Is Unity worth playing at all? I really liked Syndicate and I might get the urge to play more AC at some point before the next one probably changes it up with ancient Egypt, and I do like the idea of the Paris setting

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wandle Cax posted:

Is Unity worth playing at all? I really liked Syndicate and I might get the urge to play more AC at some point before the next one probably changes it up with ancient Egypt, and I do like the idea of the Paris setting

It's not a great plot, combat is still sluggish even with everything patched up, but revolutionary Paris itself is maybe the coolest setting they've done.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I have a personal challenge to 100% all the ACs and watchdogs. I still have poo poo I need to finish in 3 and WD1. Freaking broken multiplayer. Freaking POKER.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GoneRampant posted:

it was on the PC release

and it really wasn't much of a story DLC, if you consider "Carry boxes between point A and B" to be a story

Wandle Cax posted:

the kicker with Unity is that you should try to get a grade 4 or 5 weapon, it really helps the combat a bit since they pace it slower than Black Flag.

its a good game, more hurt by the release than anything.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I was dead certain Wrench was going to be goddamn obnoxious, but I actually ended up really enjoying his character. He sets up a lot of goofy stunt poo poo like some sort of weird hacker trickster god.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a personal challenge to 100% all the ACs and watchdogs. I still have poo poo I need to finish in 3 and WD1. Freaking broken multiplayer. Freaking POKER.
Be glad you're playing WD1 now that they've patched the drinking game to be more tolerable. I spent I don't know how many hours on it back in the day and any achievements earned after that patch are illegitimate as far as I'm concerned.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was dead certain Wrench was going to be goddamn obnoxious, but I actually ended up really enjoying his character. He sets up a lot of goofy stunt poo poo like some sort of weird hacker trickster god.
Yeah, all of the hacker kids become a lot more tolerable once things settle and you start getting into the missions. I think during the intro they try a little too hard to establish their personalities and they just come across as over the top.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

yea Wrench easily was my favorite of the team by the end, him turning from "LOL HACK HACK HACK" to "No actually he's genuinely probably the brains behind the operation he just also likes lovely movies and pop culture references and all" was satisfying for him, and more than the rest of the team got.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Why did no one tell me this game is awesome?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

J-Spot posted:

Be glad you're playing WD1 now that they've patched the drinking game to be more tolerable. I spent I don't know how many hours on it back in the day and any achievements earned after that patch are illegitimate as far as I'm concerned.

I too got the drinking games pre-patch. My primary source of infinite frustration is the multiplayer completion challenges. In AC, the multiplayer is its own thing and I don't bother. In WD1, it's part of the completion percentage so I need ~10 successful tailings and ~10 successful hackings. But both of those were incredibly badly implemented so that knowledgeable players can make it impossible to succeed. And it doesn't count hacking/tailing a friend for progress, so friends can't hand me victories. I'm pretty desperate.

Meanwhile, I have that loving broken Giant and the Storm mission in AC3 and I need to beat the advanced PC in Colonial Pogs.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Ubisoft game that gates 100% progress behind beating a cheating AI at whist.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I've been trying to play this light-hearted no-kill style but sometimes the guns just have to come out - I try to justify with like "well, I am from Oakland, so...."

I never kill cops though

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I think the DLC is now out for PS4, keen to hear impressions when anyone gets round to playing it

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

LentThem posted:

I've been trying to play this light-hearted no-kill style but sometimes the guns just have to come out - I try to justify with like "well, I am from Oakland, so...."

I never kill cops though

Umm then you're doing it backward

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LentThem posted:

I never kill cops though

I'd always think "allright this isn't canon" and just murder everyone including some civilians and cops just for the hell of it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

LentThem posted:

I never kill cops though

I'm playing the game now and the only people I've killed so far are the New Dawn cultists. I figure I was just helping them get to their higher levels faster.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

There's a mission where non-lethal doesn't really make sense.
Where you have to 'take out' the named gang members. Shocking them unconscious still advances the mission, but it doesn't make sense to knock them out then run away and say "OK, they've been dealt with."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a mission where non-lethal doesn't really make sense.
Where you have to 'take out' the named gang members. Shocking them unconscious still advances the mission, but it doesn't make sense to knock them out then run away and say "OK, they've been dealt with."

On that mission, I called in the cops. I ended up starting this huge running gunfight in the area that I barely managed to sneak through, and two out of the three gang members got taken out by the police or run over by a freaked-out passerby. I only had to personally deal with the third one, and I beat him up with my yo-yo.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

On that mission, I called in the cops. I ended up starting this huge running gunfight in the area that I barely managed to sneak through, and two out of the three gang members got taken out by the police or run over by a freaked-out passerby. I only had to personally deal with the third one, and I beat him up with my yo-yo.
I did the same thing, but when the last guy tried to run I caught him with my car just as he was about to reach his and ran him over.

Calling in gangs/cops is definitely the best addition to the game.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Sindai posted:

Calling in gangs/cops is definitely the best addition to the game.
:agreed: They should've expanded on it and removed player guns except for the stun gun.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

acksplode posted:

:agreed: They should've expanded on it and removed player guns except for the stun gun.

:agreed: on the stungun but I'd say the best addition is remote controlling cars.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My favorite cop story is actually the time I called them on one of the nudists in the little hippy garden landmark. The guy ran for it, the cops tackled him. When they let him up something prevented them from arresting him like they normally would, so he tried to flee again. They tackled him again.

Eventually they made their way out into the street and disappeared into the distance in an eternal cycle of nudist tackling. I like to imagine they're still out there, somewhere...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where are the nudists keeping their cell phones?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Where do you think?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dry-Pak-Waterproof-Cell-Phone-Case/2553353

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sindai posted:

I did the same thing, but when the last guy tried to run I caught him with my car just as he was about to reach his and ran him over.

I channelled my inner Barack Obama and took them out with drone strikes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

I channelled my inner Barack Obama and took them out with drone strikes.

the upgrade to make your rc copter into a predator drone is pretty wonderful.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Finally went back and finished the main story last night. The ending where the primary antagonist just gets discredited and arrested (not even like, beat up or anything) is like the final nail in the "Watch Dogs 2 the Game and Watch Dogs 2 the Movie are two completely different loving things" discussion. The final couple missions were fun and all, but like the bulk of them is you slaughtering cops with a grenade launcher or spiderbot or whatever, only to snap back into cinematic mode where the characters would never dream of killing someone and the story has to resolve with pacifism.

I know it's a little bit dead-horse at this point, and I still found the game really fun and satisfying, but holy moly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yeeea

It's not like I wanted Marcus to just blast the baddie in the head and spout some dumb quip or anything but it just feels really weird to go from missions that almost 100% require a violent option at the end stretch to 'and...WE GOT THAT REP WRECKED GUYS' as the big payoff. Honestly I still think it was a good story but they really needed to make the last bit more non-lethal friendly...or possible at all...if the big finish is the calm and safe judicial process finally working in the common man's favor.

it's a good game, and so much better than 1 in both story and gameplay it's nuts, but as much as a buzzword it's become this is the platonic ideal of ludonarrative dissonance: the game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Thanks for the tips on the Alcatraz mission. I finally beat it by not waiting for my wanted level to go down and instead just blasted some cops in a boat and stole it. Turns out you just have to get a little distance from the island and you'll complete the mission, erasing your wanted level.

Now it's time to plat this game. I got the achievement for petting 10 dogs. good dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Anyone with the season pass on PS4 want to say what the new co-op content is? Is it just a new difficulty level and new enemies or are there new mission types/locations etc?

• Locked thread