Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Agreed on driver signings make no sense which is bad because the driver is more important than the car. Which is abit of a holdover from the mobile game which is the same. I wish they would tone down how much a driver effects your fortunes compared to it being 80/90% the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My one complaint in relation to the driver market is the small pool of free agents in the first off season. With BMR I am letting Rodgers and Al Sadat go and there is nobody else to sign

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

julian assflange posted:

My one complaint in relation to the driver market is the small pool of free agents in the first off season. With BMR I am letting Rodgers and Al Sadat go and there is nobody else to sign

Upgrade your scouting facilities, it'll give you a bunch of extra drivers to sign.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

Upgrade your scouting facilities, it'll give you a bunch of extra drivers to sign.

Yep but there should always be some availability of new talent even if you have basic scouting each off season regardless of your scouting level. Obviously more/better with each level

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

julian assflange posted:

Yep but there should always be some availability of new talent even if you have basic scouting each off season regardless of your scouting level. Obviously more/better with each level

The scouting facility actually gives you drivers that nobody else can get so you should at least have level 1 of it ASAP.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

The scouting facility actually gives you drivers that nobody else can get so you should at least have level 1 of it ASAP.

Oh is that so? Just my luck that they are garbage :saddowns:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

julian assflange posted:

I kept El Sadat and he won the Drivers Championship for me in season 2 and 4. He's pretty decent imo

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I can't wait until they patch in the workshop.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The more I play this the more I long for workshop support. I've also got the hang of driver progression but it turns out I'm stuck with a really smart driver who can't overtake for poo poo but can sure set up a car

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New patch today with supposed improvements to blue flag AI.

Workshop is due for February

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Some weird stuff happening on the Tondela (Portugal) track after the most recent patch. In the race I had last night the red & white barriers that block off the unused parts of the track was placed right across the used part of the track in a couple of places.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Got hosed out of my first win. Got stuck in a group for four battling back markers who couldn't all let me through at once. Lost 30 seconds in the last four laps then got overtaken in the final lap as the other guy breezed past the backmarkers.

Fffffffffffffff

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Beta patch is out that fixes AI making stupid end of race decisions as well as improves blue flag (even further).. will be formally released after christmas/

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When racing as Archer BMR I was kind of counting on those bad decisions haha

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

One race away from winning both the driver and team championship in ERS. Not sure if I want to stay in for another season or not.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd move up if given the chance again. Depends if your drivers are willing to hang around

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Just remember to have some money left over so you can develop the car more.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll have to move up to try and keep Balcazar

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

First year in aps is brutal to get a decent car will cost you around 30 million. Its sometimes best to try and stomp the lower series for a few extra years and build a decent budget.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Though, having a pair of good drivers will mitigate your shitboxiness.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Turns out I'm stuck in ERS for another season anyway, I finished 4 points shy of first. I managed to ignore my 2nd driver's fuel burn, because I was concentrating on delivering a first place victory for Valdes to lock up the driver's championship. Shen Qi had to do a splash and go stop. :(

This season is going to be a shitshow for parts development, the first two designs have very little in the way of performance improvements. On the plus side, they voted in bigger bonuses for finishing positions.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Christmas patch has been a big improvement for AI strategy, much to my annoyance :catstare: Was counting on a few low fuels to steal a few points

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone else's drivers have total disaster first laps like....all the time?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
My advice with first laps is to turn up the engine to full power and tell your drivers to go attack everyone like they mean it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Triple A posted:

My advice with first laps is to turn up the engine to full power and tell your drivers to go attack everyone like they mean it.

I started doing this when I looked at the timing screen and noticed all the AI run red engine and tires on the first few laps

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I noticed early on that you have to run max everything the first few laps or you will get left behind. I still can't figure out why my drivers will randomly decide they don't want to drive anymore on the last lap and just give up five spots for no reason.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

I do but they are just morons it seems. They are decent drivers too but they either lose 3-4 spots per corner or can't get past some slowpoke and let the rest of the field be 10 seconds ahead after two laps :catstare:

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

julian assflange posted:

I do but they are just morons it seems. They are decent drivers too but they either lose 3-4 spots per corner or can't get past some slowpoke and let the rest of the field be 10 seconds ahead after two laps :catstare:

How's their skill in Braking/Overtaking and how good are your brakes in general?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Triple A posted:

How's their skill in Braking/Overtaking and how good are your brakes in general?

Brakes have 'green' scores so should be average or above, one has a +40 stat during races. As for skills they are 13-15 for overtaking but can't remember braking. It's the ERS so shouldn't be much competition at the back.
It's mostly luck I'm just mad since randomised grids were voted in I've been drawing the short straw at lot in starting position.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
After some poo poo I've seen, I'd put money down the game has a hidden "drama" function.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay randomised grids was the worst possible thing I could have voted for. 19th and 20th with my title rival in a super fast car starting 2nd and 5th.
A relegated team has come down this season and is brutalising the whole grid

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

julian assflange posted:

Okay randomised grids was the worst possible thing I could have voted for. 19th and 20th with my title rival in a super fast car starting 2nd and 5th.
A relegated team has come down this season and is brutalising the whole grid

Playstation 4 posted:

After some poo poo I've seen, I'd put money down the game has a hidden "drama" function.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
You can win a thousand if you design a livery for this game

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
That's great. Game should take off once good Workshop content gets on there

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

julian assflange posted:

That's great. Game should take off once good Workshop content gets on there

Honestly, the only thing that would make this game sell like mad is licenses for real teams / drivers / sponsors / series.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I got 50% off on this through the Football Manager voucher, and I'm already addicted. There's a surprising amount of depth, although there's a few places around the race weekend where some more visibility would be good. For example, once you start the race weekend there doesn't seem to be a way to view the weather forecast for all of the sessions any more (only the current one). You also can't see the track length, which parts are critical or the tyre wear and fuel burn characteristics at all, and you can't see the lap count for the race itself during practice. But you also can't see how many laps each tyre compound is expected to last until you do start the race weekend. So planning your pit strategy properly relies on memorising or screenshotting the track info before you enter the race mode, and then actually sorting your plan during the practice setup.

Also, what's the best way to manage replacing a driver during the off season? My number 2's contract is expiring and I want to replace her with a free agent I've scouted, but I can only sign the replacement on a immediate contract so I'd have to fire someone. Is there an ideal date to make an offer so I can sign him on the day my number 2 leaves without someone else snapping him up in between?

e: Oh and some way to list all lap times for a driver in the current race would be really handy, even better in graph form that plots against strategy, tyre condition etc. It's really hard to tell if my guys are slipping on pace when I'm trying to decide whether to pit or stay out a bit longer.

Scikar fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 7, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't you hire them as a backup driver?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Workshop content is garbage so far. All the be good mods are still separate

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
At some unspecified point in the offseason you can actually fire your driver with the expiring contract without paying a fine. At that point you can just negotiate your contract with the new driver and sign him which should give you the option to select which driver you want to replace. This is all from memory, but that's how it worked for me. One day I couldn't fire my driver for free, next day I could, pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

voodoo dog posted:

At some unspecified point in the offseason you can actually fire your driver with the expiring contract without paying a fine. At that point you can just negotiate your contract with the new driver and sign him which should give you the option to select which driver you want to replace. This is all from memory, but that's how it worked for me. One day I couldn't fire my driver for free, next day I could, pretty much.

Yeah this is pretty much I want to do, just trying to make sure I won't get pipped by an AI team doing it at midnight the day after the last race.

Cojawfee posted:

Can't you hire them as a backup driver?

I could, I want to keep my current backup though because she's cheap and good at feedback.

• Locked thread