Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Bought this during the sale this week. Started at Predator and it sure is though to get the car better, do you guys just focus on building a specific part for the entire season or try to spread it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Bought this during the sale this week. Started at Predator and it sure is though to get the car better, do you guys just focus on building a specific part for the entire season or try to spread it out?

One thing I wish I'd known when I started: stop making new parts towards the end of the season, or whenever your final position in the standings is a foregone conclusion -- you can't use this year's parts in next year's car.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of the Workshop content is starting to get pretty good

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Mandatory Assembly posted:

One thing I wish I'd known when I started: stop making new parts towards the end of the season, or whenever your final position in the standings is a foregone conclusion -- you can't use this year's parts in next year's car.

I thought that your best part automatically become the standard part and that's why you should build really high risk parts?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

I thought that your best part automatically become the standard part and that's why you should build really high risk parts?

This is true, the only time you want to stop making parts is if you are going to be promoted to a higher series or if you don't have the cash, or if you are just already winning.

I really like this game but the thing that made me stop playing it in the end was the lack of challenge, I enjoyed working my way up to the World Championship but once I got there I found that I was getting easy 1-2 finishes with a car that was only the 4th or 5th best on the grid. I don't know if there is some built-in player car bonus or AI car penalty or something but cars with better stats than mine driven by drivers with better stats than mine were slower in almost all circumstances.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

julian assflange posted:

Some of the Workshop content is starting to get pretty good

Such as?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

We're getting GT DLC on Wednesday, along with another patch and the ability to create your own team.
http://www.motorsportmanager.com/en-us/content/huge-new-dlc-packs-announced

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
That's a very nice addon.

I like this game a lot, I'll be buying that to support the devs.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
loving sweet! So much heartbreak to be had in endurance/GT racing

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

voodoo dog posted:

At some unspecified point in the offseason you can actually fire your driver with the expiring contract without paying a fine. At that point you can just negotiate your contract with the new driver and sign him which should give you the option to select which driver you want to replace. This is all from memory, but that's how it worked for me. One day I couldn't fire my driver for free, next day I could, pretty much.
Old reply but in case it isn't common knowledge, contracts round to the next month after the 15th of the current month. Time all your replacements with the float to not sign until after December 15th to minimize penalties. If you're doing mid season disaster recovery, you can shave off a month's penalty if you can push a signing until the 15th.

This game is awesome but there seems to be a disconnect between how algorithmic your choices are in operations and race management and how the AI doesn't seem to have a clue on what that algorithm is.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

No kidding? I never realized that, I thought the new car was essentially scratch-built every time.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mandatory Assembly posted:

No kidding? I never realized that, I thought the new car was essentially scratch-built every time.

Yeah if you can you should try and max out a part at the end of the season. Note that you will still only have one part of that quality when you start, the other will be somewhat less good

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think it goes so far as to take the top 2. But you can easily plan on leapfrogging to put away some extra cash or push your performance team to the limit because hey, every season is upgrade focused. If you get a lucky all flat positives deck for that season (that is no mechanic time needed to hit full potential) or you are neck and neck with a rival and its coming down to parts performance it can be argued to run into the next season with two parts for an important slot at your max potential that season.

Or god forbid you sign drivers anywhere but as a second but even that can be burned off from performing above your predicted finish instead of trying to run part equity before level 4 factory and 20 performance and reliability mechanics.

elvie
Jan 17, 2009
Having signed two 4 star drivers at around $650k per race as Predator racing, money sure is a struggle.
Did finish 7th in my first season but the new season car development cost was a kick in the dick.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Driver aid bans and spec parts or not, that's some ridiculous wages for the ERS. You should be aiming for value drivers who will race for a song. That is desired wage depends on star rating, past performance, and a character specific factor (which may or may not show up in traits it seems). So your star hires should be unproved rookies (a risk with some of the hidden stats but you can make do most times) and while you're being cheap about it, 3ish stars but focused on the most valuable stats.

That is, the star rankings as an average are just plain hosed up. Overtaking > Braking = Cornering = Fitness > Focus > the rest in my book. Overtaking because those dice rolls are a mother fucker and the lynchpin to getting good laptimes in a pack. Braking, Cornering, and Fitness are the bread and butter for putting in good lap times. Focus keeps you from crashing but you can normally afford some DNFs when tracking your target. Smoothness can be planned around with pit strategies, Adaptability can be planned around by not micromanaging attitudes. Consistency only matters in qualification or super short races because the law of large numbers mean your performance will be good as often as bad.

If you can score some 3 star kids with 12+ overtaking, braking, cornering, and fitness scores, focus maybe 8+, with trash in the rest dragging their star rating down you can bully the ERS for $300k per driver per race.

elvie
Jan 17, 2009
Next driver hire I will keep that in mind (had kinda worked out that it needed to change).
Rodriguez, I think, won't sign a new contract so I am on a hunt for a better fit driver anyway.
That information you gave will sure come in handy.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
The GT Series DLC (which was due to release today) has been delayed "slightly".

http://steamcommunity.com/app/415200/discussions/1/133257959061598168/

quote:

With good luck and a following wind, we're hoping it's a delay of hours or days, not weeks. We will keep you updated in the meantime.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The GT series DLC is out.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm getting back into this after some time out. Has anyone used the GT Racing dlc yet? I'm also downloading the ICE mod which sounds incredible

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I held off on the GTs at first because there was a bug with fuel weighing 10x more than it should, but I'm coming up on winning the WDC for the first time on my original save (started before GTs) so I'll start a new game after that. I think now is the right time anyway since I understand the race mechanics properly, especially now people have done testing with tyre temperatures.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I spent four seasons beating the snot out of opposition in ERS with Dragon, saved up money in the last season to build a level 3 factory and over twenty million on top of the car and prize money, and then accepted promotion into APS.

What surprised me was that the sponsor money stays exactly the same! 4* sponsors pay out equally much in ERS and APS. Chairman money goes up only a modicum. I wonder how in hell WMC teams balance the budget in their tier unless the static chairman money is much higher if the team starts the game in that tier.

This is something I ran into in Footy Manager as well, the game wasn't dynamic enough when promoting through the tiers so you ran into all sorts of problems that broke the simulation.

Anyway, I knew ahead of time your car after promotion is a garbage heap, and I'd saved a ton of money, so I was able to score some nice finishes early in the season since the AI is bad at pitting when parts are unreliable. But by the second half of the APS season I'm hemorrhaging money all over the place trying to stay competitive and unless the end of season payout is truly staggering for 4th place I think I'm dropping this save and moving onto real world mods.

Seems like what you'd actually want to do is grind (ugh) the ERS for a decade until your facilities are top of the line and you have a road car factory bringing in the bacon, only then start promoting.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dont forget the purse differences.

At some point in development I can only assume it was fiddlier and you were meant to make up the difference with a fanbase to justify the tourism buildings and it would be easier to staff drivers with the marketability for 4 and 5 stars in the higher leagues. But fanbase was broken for a while and there's plenty of amateurs with the marketability to get those sponsors in the ERS so the major reason to promote is to reset the difficulty after you make parts or make hires that are just outclassing your current league. If you're in it to make money 5 star sponsors on an ERS budget does it but I assume you are here to win hardware and you can do that without grinding in the ERS.

The chairman payments just keep the lights on, purse and sponsors are who give you the money you actually need to make progress or stay the best. The 5 star ones will make you worry about your WMS budget less because they are on a completely different magnitude. Ditto the WMS purse.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I'm banking hard on the prize money. If the money for finishing 4th in APS is as much as winning the ERS (13.75m) I'll be alright. Since my car is going to be dogshit on the grid for the next 2-3 seasons at least I just managed to push in a rule change for prize money. The entire 250 mil pot is split evenly between all ten teams starting next year. :ussr:

The series has a punishing points structure straight from the 90s where only the top 6 drivers get points; how does the game determine relegation from a series if you have multiple teams at zero? There isn't bonus points for fastest lap either so I can't cheese a free two points every GP by using Super Overtake.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You may live to regret a communist purse distribution if you understand how the parts system works because after you have healthy sponsors and level 2+ facilities it only takes like a season to get in the top quarter unless your designer is the literal worst. Ditto for getting on the board in the low points system. You will likely surprise yourself at overcoming the margin for being competitive. The AI is better but still bad at low reliability management so you might even get on the board while you're the worst car if your drivers are any good at all. If you don't as near as I could tell pointsless drivers are ranked based on average finishing place and the team with the bottom drivers (in other confusing words the team who's second worst driver is worse than the rest of the second best drivers) gets relegated so the elitist point system makes the promotion competition weird but relegation is still about avoiding last finishes.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

From my ERS experience the improvement is fairly incremental - my assumption was that just like in ERS it would take a while to build up a world-beater car and in the meantime there'll be another opportunity to gently caress with the payment structure. Or is it so that if I have a three star designer he'll magically come up with a much better chassis once I've already been promoted once and don't have the promotion system gently caress with my chassis?

My designer can also throw in random awesome parts, but the downside is that every now and then he gives me a "+50 on wets and inters" part, which would be nice for a literal rainy day, but I don't have the money to throw around to have bespoke parts for certain weather.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think you get something like the average performance points of the part across the league minus something around 30 or 40. If you pay out for an improvable chassis and have a decent designer skill that accounts for the freebie PP on upgrade (or if you get a really good season's upgrade choices), as long as you have a 2 or 3 design building to get enough slots you can easily close out the first season in the mid range car rank. The APS is subject to a really flat pp curve because it's subject to promotion and relegation compared to the other leagues where teams only going one direction leads to budget fuckery that means only a couple teams are ever in contention which makes car upgrades an uphill battle.

My first season I had a driver come in second or third in the driver ranking just from consistently picking up 5 or 6th and closed out mid list because the performance curve was flat and half of the league was always in serious contention to pick up points out of the top ranks.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I actually wound up finishing third in the series on the back of 1) the penultimate race being a speedway and me having put a lot of effort into developing a monster engine plus my other mechanic having Super Overtake, and 2) a fluke double victory in the final GP of the season thanks to an erratic weather pattern that the AI struggled with. Sometimes the AI is really dumb and starts a race with slicks when it's going to be pissing down rain on lap 2.

The prize money was 29 mil so around 3th-4th is where the communist structure starts biting you in the rear end. I finished the season with nearly 45 million in total, 24 million went into the new car, six million into a simulator and the rest is going into keeping the lights on and new parts over the season.

I've also realized I'm in a bit of a trap with my no1 driver who's actually worse than my no2 but cares about her status more than my no2. But no1 seems to realize this because her salary demand is half of my no2's. I can't afford to get rid of her because her marketability is nearly 80% and unless I can find a driver with at least as much marketability I'm going to lose some really juicy sponsorships. She's a three star so she's not awful, at least. She's functionally a pay driver at this point. This actually seems pretty realistic!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I picked this game up during the steam sale. It's been fun starting in the 3rd division,despite my lack of knowledge about Motorsport. I came from a Football Manager background.

Don't you guys get tired of the mini game of tuning your car during every practice?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Oh, I forgot this thread existed. I only play this game one race at a time, so it's not too bad I guess. If there is a way to automate it, I'd prefer that.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I don't think there's a mod or similar to disable it, otherwise I'd download it in a heartbeat. There's a choice before it starts to let it simulate practice though, isn't there? Dunno if that's terrible, but I expect so.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Finding the perfect set-up is the point of practice. A pretty major part of the sport and all, especially in this age when minor adjustments can give you that fraction that'll ensure your car is first rather than third. I'd like to see some ways of comparing team mate set-ups, if only so I can check if the driver prefers a bit of oversteer or understeer.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It feels a little tedious I agree but it is important

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
I think it'd be a lot less annoying if it gave you a better overview over what settings you've tried and the results of it. As it is, it often feels like the solution is there, but I need to keep switching between drivers and setups and remember way more things than necessary. At times, it felt like putting post-it notes on the screen would be the best way to do this which is just ridiculous.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well you can hover over your older setups and see the driver's reactions to each one as well as where each slider was. I usually just put the slider at the extreme of green area. I work towards great and if a few excellents make it in there, I'm fine with that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cojawfee posted:

Well you can hover over your older setups and see the driver's reactions to each one as well as where each slider was. I usually just put the slider at the extreme of green area. I work towards great and if a few excellents make it in there, I'm fine with that.

I picked up the game a week or so ago and this is what I do too. I generally shoot for 95%.

Any tips for beginners? I'm in my third season with my created team and I think I'm actually in position to get promoted to Asian Pacific next year.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The same setups work for the same tracks from season to season so I just note all the settings in a text file as I create them and use them as the start point next time.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Also in non gt cars the setup is based on the car settings rather than the driver. So if your say running a reserve pay driver the "excellent" setup they find for the car will translate to the real driver.

However GT series driver weight plays a part so getting a perfect setup with a reserve driver in that unless they weigh the same will cause a slight discrepancy for the real driver (usually 1-2%)

Oh and you can game the system like just send drivers out on out laps and bring them straight back in and you'll know what effect your changes have made. I think a lot of you will know that anyway.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vando posted:

The same setups work for the same tracks from season to season so I just note all the settings in a text file as I create them and use them as the start point next time.

This is good to know. Is it the same setting for both cars? They always have different green areas so I never really paid attention to if the cars were using the same ratios. I think I assumed that part variation mattered.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Vando posted:

Does it change when you change components of your car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I just googled for the setups. This ultimately began to kill the game for me because it's just a bunch of pointless busywork.

• Locked thread