Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
This is really good.

The AI is horrendous, cars regularly park themselves behind significantly slower cars (on a few occasions cars that are out of fuel and puttering around at walking pace) or do the weird magnet dance or your driver catches up to the car ahead, promptly locks up and lets someone past them, only to catch up to that car, lock up and let another past and so on. The AI is terrible.

But the game is still really good.

I picked ZRT Autosport for my starting team, to have a bit of challenge and to be able to say I had to build it up myself. Through luck and determination I got Valdes to 3rd in the championship and the 3rd place in team rankings in the first season. Which felt really good, considering I kept the existing staff throughout, including the 1,5 star lead designer. I didn't do that much development on the car, because we were doing alright, and instead built the staff centre and the factory lvl2.

2nd season was hard, though. I had not spoiled myself at all about the mechanics of the game and was surprised to find out about the "new base stat" mechanic. This meant my car was actually worse than Predator's at the start of the second season. In addition, other teams had been recruiting hard while I had expected Valdes to grow better through experience. It appears that can only happen with lots of buildings to help him and/or millions of years. To up the challenge, the chairman decided that sure, we have the worst car in the championship, but since you finished 3rd you can now pick a target between 1st and 5th and no lower. Which is incredibly stupid.

We finished 5th in the teams ranking, by the skin of our teeth. I let the terrible lead go and hired some Finnish lady who could clone parts with her Finnish powers. I built millions upon millions of monies worth of parts and topped them off with some nice illegal ones for next season. We even managed to build the Design Centre lvl2 which does not seem to be all that great apart from the things it unlocks. Or it might have some hidden bonuses I suppose.

Now it's on to the 3rd season though, Valdes and Dembele are coming to the end of their contract and I'm probably going to shell out for some four star people. Maybe with race mechanics to match.

I do hope there's a cap to the "new base stat" level though? I started season one with a 9 effectiveness gearbox or something like that. I think I now have something over 200 at the end of the second season. If, given enough time, it can grow infinitely high or to the same cap as the higher leagues then that would completely kill the sense of progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Middle of third season now. Gave Valdes the boot because he was not improving (stuck at 3 stars out of 4 potentially) and cashing in 400k per race. Hired a 18 year old Ted Santore instead at just under three stars, potential to have four and a quarter. Guy asks for 140k per race, is progressing a lot faster than Valdes was based on the numbers and his sponsors pay me 200k per race. Pretty good deal, so far.

In other news, playing as Politico is lots of fun. I'm going to turn the European championship into a Full Spec series unless I get promoted out. Fully contemplating the option of tanking a few races to ensure I don't. Last season's vote was Spec Engines, this season Gearboxes are coming up. Meaning next season there's only going to be brakes and suspension to eat up my construction budget. And soon after nothing at all if the right pieces keep coming up for voting.

Who's got the second worst car now, asshats :smug:

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

A shameful Beijing. Nice, otherwise.

Meanwhile, I had been talking about potentially tanking a race or two in my third season. With some help from the spec stuff I had already voted in, some help from the two extra stars to tire wear we lucked out with at the beginning of the season and some help from weather, we (ZRT Autosport) instead proceeded to take double podiums three races in a row plus a solo victory in the fourth. Black Sea was a complete disaster, but didn't stop the drivers taking 1st and 2nd in the championship and the team victory by some thirty or forty points. To the Cup it is I suppose.

• Locked thread