Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Anyone else play Grand Prix Manager 2 to death? I don't think there's been a good game of this sort since that, and that was 20 years ago.

Is it possible to sell and place advertisements on your cars? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I spent four seasons beating the snot out of opposition in ERS with Dragon, saved up money in the last season to build a level 3 factory and over twenty million on top of the car and prize money, and then accepted promotion into APS.

What surprised me was that the sponsor money stays exactly the same! 4* sponsors pay out equally much in ERS and APS. Chairman money goes up only a modicum. I wonder how in hell WMC teams balance the budget in their tier unless the static chairman money is much higher if the team starts the game in that tier.

This is something I ran into in Footy Manager as well, the game wasn't dynamic enough when promoting through the tiers so you ran into all sorts of problems that broke the simulation.

Anyway, I knew ahead of time your car after promotion is a garbage heap, and I'd saved a ton of money, so I was able to score some nice finishes early in the season since the AI is bad at pitting when parts are unreliable. But by the second half of the APS season I'm hemorrhaging money all over the place trying to stay competitive and unless the end of season payout is truly staggering for 4th place I think I'm dropping this save and moving onto real world mods.

Seems like what you'd actually want to do is grind (ugh) the ERS for a decade until your facilities are top of the line and you have a road car factory bringing in the bacon, only then start promoting.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I'm banking hard on the prize money. If the money for finishing 4th in APS is as much as winning the ERS (13.75m) I'll be alright. Since my car is going to be dogshit on the grid for the next 2-3 seasons at least I just managed to push in a rule change for prize money. The entire 250 mil pot is split evenly between all ten teams starting next year. :ussr:

The series has a punishing points structure straight from the 90s where only the top 6 drivers get points; how does the game determine relegation from a series if you have multiple teams at zero? There isn't bonus points for fastest lap either so I can't cheese a free two points every GP by using Super Overtake.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

From my ERS experience the improvement is fairly incremental - my assumption was that just like in ERS it would take a while to build up a world-beater car and in the meantime there'll be another opportunity to gently caress with the payment structure. Or is it so that if I have a three star designer he'll magically come up with a much better chassis once I've already been promoted once and don't have the promotion system gently caress with my chassis?

My designer can also throw in random awesome parts, but the downside is that every now and then he gives me a "+50 on wets and inters" part, which would be nice for a literal rainy day, but I don't have the money to throw around to have bespoke parts for certain weather.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I actually wound up finishing third in the series on the back of 1) the penultimate race being a speedway and me having put a lot of effort into developing a monster engine plus my other mechanic having Super Overtake, and 2) a fluke double victory in the final GP of the season thanks to an erratic weather pattern that the AI struggled with. Sometimes the AI is really dumb and starts a race with slicks when it's going to be pissing down rain on lap 2.

The prize money was 29 mil so around 3th-4th is where the communist structure starts biting you in the rear end. I finished the season with nearly 45 million in total, 24 million went into the new car, six million into a simulator and the rest is going into keeping the lights on and new parts over the season.

I've also realized I'm in a bit of a trap with my no1 driver who's actually worse than my no2 but cares about her status more than my no2. But no1 seems to realize this because her salary demand is half of my no2's. I can't afford to get rid of her because her marketability is nearly 80% and unless I can find a driver with at least as much marketability I'm going to lose some really juicy sponsorships. She's a three star so she's not awful, at least. She's functionally a pay driver at this point. This actually seems pretty realistic!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

I just googled for the setups. This ultimately began to kill the game for me because it's just a bunch of pointless busywork.

• Locked thread