Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

voodoo dog posted:

At some unspecified point in the offseason you can actually fire your driver with the expiring contract without paying a fine. At that point you can just negotiate your contract with the new driver and sign him which should give you the option to select which driver you want to replace. This is all from memory, but that's how it worked for me. One day I couldn't fire my driver for free, next day I could, pretty much.
Old reply but in case it isn't common knowledge, contracts round to the next month after the 15th of the current month. Time all your replacements with the float to not sign until after December 15th to minimize penalties. If you're doing mid season disaster recovery, you can shave off a month's penalty if you can push a signing until the 15th.

This game is awesome but there seems to be a disconnect between how algorithmic your choices are in operations and race management and how the AI doesn't seem to have a clue on what that algorithm is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think it goes so far as to take the top 2. But you can easily plan on leapfrogging to put away some extra cash or push your performance team to the limit because hey, every season is upgrade focused. If you get a lucky all flat positives deck for that season (that is no mechanic time needed to hit full potential) or you are neck and neck with a rival and its coming down to parts performance it can be argued to run into the next season with two parts for an important slot at your max potential that season.

Or god forbid you sign drivers anywhere but as a second but even that can be burned off from performing above your predicted finish instead of trying to run part equity before level 4 factory and 20 performance and reliability mechanics.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Driver aid bans and spec parts or not, that's some ridiculous wages for the ERS. You should be aiming for value drivers who will race for a song. That is desired wage depends on star rating, past performance, and a character specific factor (which may or may not show up in traits it seems). So your star hires should be unproved rookies (a risk with some of the hidden stats but you can make do most times) and while you're being cheap about it, 3ish stars but focused on the most valuable stats.

That is, the star rankings as an average are just plain hosed up. Overtaking > Braking = Cornering = Fitness > Focus > the rest in my book. Overtaking because those dice rolls are a mother fucker and the lynchpin to getting good laptimes in a pack. Braking, Cornering, and Fitness are the bread and butter for putting in good lap times. Focus keeps you from crashing but you can normally afford some DNFs when tracking your target. Smoothness can be planned around with pit strategies, Adaptability can be planned around by not micromanaging attitudes. Consistency only matters in qualification or super short races because the law of large numbers mean your performance will be good as often as bad.

If you can score some 3 star kids with 12+ overtaking, braking, cornering, and fitness scores, focus maybe 8+, with trash in the rest dragging their star rating down you can bully the ERS for $300k per driver per race.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dont forget the purse differences.

At some point in development I can only assume it was fiddlier and you were meant to make up the difference with a fanbase to justify the tourism buildings and it would be easier to staff drivers with the marketability for 4 and 5 stars in the higher leagues. But fanbase was broken for a while and there's plenty of amateurs with the marketability to get those sponsors in the ERS so the major reason to promote is to reset the difficulty after you make parts or make hires that are just outclassing your current league. If you're in it to make money 5 star sponsors on an ERS budget does it but I assume you are here to win hardware and you can do that without grinding in the ERS.

The chairman payments just keep the lights on, purse and sponsors are who give you the money you actually need to make progress or stay the best. The 5 star ones will make you worry about your WMS budget less because they are on a completely different magnitude. Ditto the WMS purse.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You may live to regret a communist purse distribution if you understand how the parts system works because after you have healthy sponsors and level 2+ facilities it only takes like a season to get in the top quarter unless your designer is the literal worst. Ditto for getting on the board in the low points system. You will likely surprise yourself at overcoming the margin for being competitive. The AI is better but still bad at low reliability management so you might even get on the board while you're the worst car if your drivers are any good at all. If you don't as near as I could tell pointsless drivers are ranked based on average finishing place and the team with the bottom drivers (in other confusing words the team who's second worst driver is worse than the rest of the second best drivers) gets relegated so the elitist point system makes the promotion competition weird but relegation is still about avoiding last finishes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think you get something like the average performance points of the part across the league minus something around 30 or 40. If you pay out for an improvable chassis and have a decent designer skill that accounts for the freebie PP on upgrade (or if you get a really good season's upgrade choices), as long as you have a 2 or 3 design building to get enough slots you can easily close out the first season in the mid range car rank. The APS is subject to a really flat pp curve because it's subject to promotion and relegation compared to the other leagues where teams only going one direction leads to budget fuckery that means only a couple teams are ever in contention which makes car upgrades an uphill battle.

My first season I had a driver come in second or third in the driver ranking just from consistently picking up 5 or 6th and closed out mid list because the performance curve was flat and half of the league was always in serious contention to pick up points out of the top ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Practice is cool and good because even if you keep a log (or guide) you still need to tune plus or minus pixels to get the purple for that years car and it's a cool interplay between tuning time and track time to get the tire buff later. Or even just track time to check your own expectations. Unless you end up with obscenely long practices and you collect all the tire buffs.

The management part isn't super barren but this game lived and died for me by the race weekend which included enjoying the practice dynamics.

• Locked thread